The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Penguins vs. Oilers Final?

I'm definitely going to get flamed for this but I think that there is going to be an '06 final rematch. You heard it here first.

I think the Hurricanes have slowly evolved into the Nashville Predators of the east and are the next team to take the hockey world by surprise. If Darling can man the front for the Canes then I think they're going to march their way all the way to the finals - but the Oilers are going to take the cake this time.

Anyone think I'm out to lunch? :lol:

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

really? he's a career - every year -10 or so, isn't physical at all, not good at all on face-offs.... I dunno, I could be wrong but I don't see the attraction. He's been bypassed by other players and looks to be pushed out to the wing. But you could be correct, e.g., if Montreal gave him 60%+ ozone time he may well put up 60, but man he sucks on the dot. I don't see how he gets to take face-offs in Montreal and be expected to produce say on their 2nd line. I think objectively you have to think he's failed to meet the expectations people had for him by a pretty decent margin. 

If you compare Bo and RNH at the same age you will see that RNH had more points and a better +/-. Bo obviously had the better faceoff %.

Not trying to say who will have the better career but I think you may be selling RNH a little short. He has had to adapt to a different role with the Oilers after the addition of McDavid and Draisaitl and I think he has done that very well. His ice-time has gone from 20:38 pre McDavid to just 17:42 post McDavid while not getting 1st PP time so I think it is very understandable that his point production is not what it was before McDavid's arrival.

I watch most Oiler games so I can cheer for the other team and, from my perspective, RNH is a very good hockey player and I would love to have him on the Canucks.

15 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

ouch.

one good season.

hope for the coilers he keeps getting better.

%28 team salary in Connor & Leon.

is Peter smart enough to fill out and draft a roster like Pitts or Chi?

time will tell.

I get the reason why. I bet teams hope they don't get guys like Cheechoo who scores 56 goals and 93 points in a contract year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

The oilers have this coming 2 years to win it all.  

After that cap issues start for both UFA's and RFA's with the following alone on the big club needing new contracts or extensions.

the following are UFAs as of the end of the 2018/2019 season.

• Maroon $1.5 million
  • Letestu $1.8 million
  • Jokinnen $1.1 Million
  • Fayne $3.625 million
  •  

Arguably as of this moment.  Maroon is due a sizable increase in pay possibly towards $3.5 to $4 million per year.  The guy was a stud.  Fayne should stay static to within $500k of his current contract more or less.  Letestu is also due a moderate increase to within $1 million as well

After the 2018/2019 Season the following RFAs will be due new contracts as well

• Strome $2.5 Million
  • Slepyshev $925,000
  • Cagiulla $925,000
  • Pakarinen $925,000
  • Benning $925,000
  • Laurent $750,000
  • Nurse $863,333

Arguably after this last year All of them barring Strome are deserving sizable increases of $1 million to $2 million each with Nurse, Cagiulla and Benning deserving more than a meager $1 to $2 million on their current ELC's as well as Slepyshev earning increases in excess of $1 to $2 million over his current contract if we base it off of this year alone.

This is also including Pouliots $1.333 million per year buyout penalty 

Simply put, people pointing out the 2 year window are quite correct because in 2 years the total contracts of the oIlers will number 26 of the maximum number allowed per organization with only $14.216 million available in cap space to round out both the Oilers but also the Bakersfield rosters.

Simply put even IF they can manage to get out of the RNH contract (which is unlikely to happen without either minimum return or cap retention) they are absolutely screwed at the end of the 2018/2019 season for depth.  This is without them signing or having that bonafide #1 defenceman that teams so covet.  As they currently have a few guys who could be a solid #2 and a number of 3-4 pairings.  A blue line much like the Canucks had in 2011 without the quality back up.

The Oilers will have to somehow, some way hope to Howe that they put it all together against the west to simply sniff the promised land of the SCF.  And be doing it against the Blues, Stars, Hawks, Ducks, Preds and Wild who are current favorites in the western conference at a par with or ahead of the Oilers.   Then the gauntlet of the SCF Eastern finalist which of course could include the now blue line heavy Bolts, Pens, Jackets, Rangers and Capitals 

Honestly, the Oilers are a solid team in the first 2.5 forward lines, but man oh man....that lack of current depth (Pool Party not withstanding) is frightening when you weigh it against what is currently standing in their way and as such are not my favorites or even dark horse to be in the SCF let alone Western Conference Finals in the next 2 seasons

agreed but that could also mean they trade a McDated  or Leon which would make more sense then to trade most of the other guys

either one of them would catch 3 first rounds and best two prospects which again would restock them for years to come, or do what the Pens are doing

either way they should be good for 8 years or more

oh and again awesome deal as he was the best player in the playoffs and is just an awesome player

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's a really good rate, but they are still going to be in cap balancing hell after this coming season. Once McDavid's 12.5 kicks in, they are not going to have much room to play.

Exactly 1/4 of their cap is gone to 2 players. God help them if Mc David gets injured. I don't see this signing as good at all, its a potential nightmare

for that organization if theres an injury to either one in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm definitely going to get flamed for this but I think that there is going to be an '06 final rematch. You heard it here first.

I think the Hurricanes have slowly evolved into the Nashville Predators of the east and are the next team to take the hockey world by surprise. If Darling can man the front for the Canes then I think they're going to march their way all the way to the finals - but the Oilers are going to take the cake this time.

No, as long as we don't have to see Crosby lift the cup for the third year in a row. The league truly needs a new champion, it's been the same 3 teams since 2012. Though it would be rough to watch the Coilers win the cup. :sick: 

Go Canes? 

4 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Gary Bettman says.... Eff You

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

The oilers have this coming 2 years to win it all.  

After that cap issues start for both UFA's and RFA's with the following alone on the big club needing new contracts or extensions.

the following are UFAs as of the end of the 2018/2019 season.

• Maroon $1.5 million
  • Letestu $1.8 million
  • Jokinnen $1.1 Million
  • Fayne $3.625 million
  •  

Arguably as of this moment.  Maroon is due a sizable increase in pay possibly towards $3.5 to $4 million per year.  The guy was a stud.  Fayne should stay static to within $500k of his current contract more or less.  Letestu is also due a moderate increase to within $1 million as well

After the 2018/2019 Season the following RFAs will be due new contracts as well

• Strome $2.5 Million
  • Slepyshev $925,000
  • Cagiulla $925,000
  • Pakarinen $925,000
  • Benning $925,000
  • Laurent $750,000
  • Nurse $863,333

Arguably after this last year All of them barring Strome are deserving sizable increases of $1 million to $2 million each with Nurse, Cagiulla and Benning deserving more than a meager $1 to $2 million on their current ELC's as well as Slepyshev earning increases in excess of $1 to $2 million over his current contract if we base it off of this year alone.

This is also including Pouliots $1.333 million per year buyout penalty 

Simply put, people pointing out the 2 year window are quite correct because in 2 years the total contracts of the oIlers will number 26 of the maximum number allowed per organization with only $14.216 million available in cap space to round out both the Oilers but also the Bakersfield rosters.

Simply put even IF they can manage to get out of the RNH contract (which is unlikely to happen without either minimum return or cap retention) they are absolutely screwed at the end of the 2018/2019 season for depth.  This is without them signing or having that bonafide #1 defenceman that teams so covet.  As they currently have a few guys who could be a solid #2 and a number of 3-4 pairings.  A blue line much like the Canucks had in 2011 without the quality back up.

The Oilers will have to somehow, some way hope to Howe that they put it all together against the west to simply sniff the promised land of the SCF.  And be doing it against the Blues, Stars, Hawks, Ducks, Preds and Wild who are current favorites in the western conference at a par with or ahead of the Oilers.   Then the gauntlet of the SCF Eastern finalist which of course could include the now blue line heavy Bolts, Pens, Jackets, Rangers and Capitals 

Honestly, the Oilers are a solid team in the first 2.5 forward lines, but man oh man....that lack of current depth (Pool Party not withstanding) is frightening when you weigh it against what is currently standing in their way and as such are not my favorites or even dark horse to be in the SCF let alone Western Conference Finals in the next 2 seasons

The players you have listed are mostly depth and can be replaced. They could pull a Pittsburgh and sign letestu to a solid contract like Sutter and trade him away for someone cheaper. Overall lately there is so much talent in the league that depth can be replaced quite consistently and I don't think it's going to be much of a problem for them.

Archived