The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

The players you have listed are mostly depth and can be replaced. They could pull a Pittsburgh and sign letestu to a solid contract like Sutter and trade him away for someone cheaper. Overall lately there is so much talent in the league that depth can be replaced quite consistently and I don't think it's going to be much of a problem for them.

Filling 25 contracts in the org with less than 18 million will be very interesting imo

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Filling 25 contracts in the org with less than 18 million will be very interesting imo

they do not all count towards the cap

the problem is overstated in my view

vancouver would love to have the oilers present problems if we could have their superb talent too

8 hours ago, nux_win said:

It's really not so bad there.  I was born and raised in Vancouver but I have also lived in Edmonton.  It's not that cold and it has a nice green river valley with excellent biking and skiing trails right through the heart of the city.  Cross country skiing at midnight in January right from my front doorstep was actually very pleasant (if you're a real Canadian).  The people there are also quality people.  And do you know what else might surprise a lot of people?  Edmonton actually has a lot more culture and diversity than people give them credit for.  People love to bash Edmonton as a place to live but it is really not as bad as people say.  Besides, it's the only Canadian city that isn't anchored to the USA and is actually located in the great white north.  GCG!

I  always hated Edmonton when I went there years ago. I moved my daughter into an apartment in Edmonton a month ago and have been going there alot and am finding the city very attractive. It seems to me it has changed alot and become a more beautiful City

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

they do not all count towards the cap

the problem is overstated in my view

vancouver would love to have the oilers present problems if we could have their superb talent too

As of the end of the 2018/2019 season, they will need to re-sign or extend the contracts of 11 players or find comparable/better players.  6 of those contracts will be fairly significant based on the age of and effectiveness of those players.

With the current 11 players they DO have on the roster that will need contracts, they will cost at their current value $14,775,000.  If they DO lose RNH that gives them $20,000,000 providing there is no cap at all coming back.

Of those 6 players that by todays standards have earned significant increases those contracts will be going up by $2 million each at the low end.  That is $12,000,000 with 5 contracts left

Even at ELC's the oilers would be over the cap with 5 spaces left to fill.

It's going to be very very interesting watching the Oilers try to make this work.  Because IMO Nurse, Cagiulla, Slepyshev and Maroon have all earned 2 to 4 years contracts worth a minimum of $3 million each

I'm going to enjoy watching how the Oilers manage it.  Yes, while I'd LOVE to see that level of talent on the canucks.  I would be very upset to be watching some of it be frittered away just because we couldn't afford it

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

yes. Its going to be tough to fill out the rest of that roster. All hope is not lost folks. 

Yep, and unlike in past years, there is likely no big cap ceiling jump in the foreseeable future to bail them out.

They are going to have a heck of a time managing things and have to hope they get a Cup really soon before they start losing pieces.

I predicted between 8-9 mil so not surprised at all. I don't know how people thought he'd get 10 mil.

Whether it's 8.5 mil or 10 doesn't really matter. The Oilers are going to be a very good team for a long time regardless. 1.5 mil wasn't going to be the difference maker.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I predicted between 8-9 mil so not surprised at all. I don't know how people thought he'd get 10 mil.

Whether it's 8.5 mil or 10 doesn't really matter. The Oilers are going to be a very good team for a long time regardless. 1.5 mil wasn't going to be the difference maker.

Agree. Cup is Oiler bound as I am washing out my mout with soup.

I don't buy the cap crunch crap. I'd trade probably trade our top 2 lines for those 2 and they'll make more (including Loui) than McDavid and Leon.

36 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I  always hated Edmonton when I went there years ago. I moved my daughter into an apartment in Edmonton a month ago and have been going there alot and am finding the city very attractive. It seems to me it has changed alot and become a more beautiful City

I think two things are in play here: the city has changed a lot and also I happened to luck out and get a place right on the green belt next to the bike path beside the river (in the Riverdale area right beside Dawson Park) which is probably among the best places to live in the city.  It was just up the hill to Chinatown (yes folks Edmonton has a Chinatown) and easy walking distance to the downtown core and yet right on a bike path / green belt beside the river that bisects the city and goes for many kilometers in each direction.  I had many a good time biking and cross country skiing on those endless trails right from my front doorstep (well, side door, I was in the basement suite of a duplex) and yet I could easily walk to the main branch of the Edmonton city library or really any of the city's main services or entertainment.  As I said in my previous post, Edmonton has more culture and diversity than most people give them credit for.  Of course it can't top Vancouver as far as nature and diversity in a world-class city but what city can?  GCG!

My wife and I just spent a couple days in Edmonton. (We went to see Kurios, the latest Cirque Du Soleil production, which we missed when it went through Calgary.) We stayed right on Whyte Avenue, and it was decent. I have been to the city a few times over the last few times, and found it to be a very underrated city.

However, gotta say this - the Cirque was stationed beside Rexall, and that area is a friggin dump. And there is absolutely nothing to do around there. So if anyone just went to hockey games at Rexall, it's easy to see why people would think the city must be terrible.

By the way, since I'm on the topic, Kurios was outstanding. I've seen a half-dozen Cirque shows (loved them all), and this was probably my 2nd favourite. There is a setup where everyone is having dinner, and one guy starts stacking chairs to reach a light...and it turns into one of the most creative stunts I've ever scene. It finishes its run in Vancouver at the end of this year (Oct. 19 to Dec. 31), so I thoroughly recommend you guys on the coast check it out.

Hypothetical question here, because this has me curious.

Could an RFA who wants the longest term possible sign a 1 year deal, then an 8 year deal immediately after if the team also wants long term? Would love to see that happen!

Man. After being so terrible all these years the pathetic Oilers finally got two star players that can put the team on their back and carry them to victory.  There were also the picks that preceeded those two, players like Hall, RNH, Yakupov etc. 

If Bo can neutralize Leon, who do we have to neutralize Connor? It's going to be even harder for the next 5-10 years to get back to the Finals. Hopefully Lady Luck is with us in these next couple of years, so that we get a chance to get a generational player the likes of McDavid.

Solid value for both Oilers and Draisaitl. They're going to be a frightening team yet again with the reigning Hart trophy winner and now locked up star in the making Leon. Hoping next year the Canucks hit the jackpot and win a lotto for once! We need Dahlin to support our young, promising forward group

So he didn't get traded. Go figure. 

Even though I thought he'd get more, $8.5 million is still a lot of money. But I agree with other posters in that it won't hinder the Oilers in terms of their cap moving forward. They now have two stud centres locked up for almost a decade. The cap will certainly increase over the next 8 years at a rate that will eventually make even McDavid's cap hit seem quite a bit smaller than it is now. I mean in 5 years the cap could be upwards of $90 million so I don't see the Oilers being in a lot of cap trouble really. 

And if they can somehow  trade RNH then their cap problems could be essentially eliminated. 

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

The oilers have this coming 2 years to win it all.  

After that cap issues start for both UFA's and RFA's with the following alone on the big club needing new contracts or extensions.

the following are UFAs as of the end of the 2018/2019 season.

• Maroon $1.5 million
  • Letestu $1.8 million
  • Jokinnen $1.1 Million
  • Fayne $3.625 million
  •  

Arguably as of this moment.  Maroon is due a sizable increase in pay possibly towards $3.5 to $4 million per year.  The guy was a stud.  Fayne should stay static to within $500k of his current contract more or less.  Letestu is also due a moderate increase to within $1 million as well

After the 2018/2019 Season the following RFAs will be due new contracts as well

• Strome $2.5 Million
  • Slepyshev $925,000
  • Cagiulla $925,000
  • Pakarinen $925,000
  • Benning $925,000
  • Laurent $750,000
  • Nurse $863,333

Arguably after this last year All of them barring Strome are deserving sizable increases of $1 million to $2 million each with Nurse, Cagiulla and Benning deserving more than a meager $1 to $2 million on their current ELC's as well as Slepyshev earning increases in excess of $1 to $2 million over his current contract if we base it off of this year alone.

This is also including Pouliots $1.333 million per year buyout penalty 

Simply put, people pointing out the 2 year window are quite correct because in 2 years the total contracts of the oIlers will number 26 of the maximum number allowed per organization with only $14.216 million available in cap space to round out both the Oilers but also the Bakersfield rosters.

Simply put even IF they can manage to get out of the RNH contract (which is unlikely to happen without either minimum return or cap retention) they are absolutely screwed at the end of the 2018/2019 season for depth.  This is without them signing or having that bonafide #1 defenceman that teams so covet.  As they currently have a few guys who could be a solid #2 and a number of 3-4 pairings.  A blue line much like the Canucks had in 2011 without the quality back up.

The Oilers will have to somehow, some way hope to Howe that they put it all together against the west to simply sniff the promised land of the SCF.  And be doing it against the Blues, Stars, Hawks, Ducks, Preds and Wild who are current favorites in the western conference at a par with or ahead of the Oilers.   Then the gauntlet of the SCF Eastern finalist which of course could include the now blue line heavy Bolts, Pens, Jackets, Rangers and Capitals 

Honestly, the Oilers are a solid team in the first 2.5 forward lines, but man oh man....that lack of current depth (Pool Party not withstanding) is frightening when you weigh it against what is currently standing in their way and as such are not my favorites or even dark horse to be in the SCF let alone Western Conference Finals in the next 2 seasons

Remember after the first round Vegas odds had EDM as the cup winner last year.

I don't quite see it the same way.  They have tradeable assets that can dial back the number of new contracts coming up and other means (letting UFAs walk for different ones) to manage their cap.

Toews and Kane are just as expensive, plus they have  Keith, Seabrook and Crawford taking sizeable chunks and have for years.  Bowman is the master though.

PIT with Kessel, Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Fluery managed pretty good too over the years with less available cap space than we have now. 

Personally I see their window as comparable to either team x the length of the Oilers wonder boys contracts.  McDavid is definitely Crosbyesque if he can make Maroon ( completely expendable) almost a thirty goal scorer, and they have some young cheaper options in the pipe to keep them going at the start to help management with cap issues if it remains flat.  RNH contract isn't terrible, they can keep it or trade it, and I think when players resign we will contiue to see team friendly contracts given their best players both left 1-2 million on the table.

The cap staying flat will make things hard for sure, but they should be able to ice a pretty awesome team right until their superstars are ready for their next big(ger?) payday, and possibly beyond if they stay.

Considering they have pretty much sucked for two and a half decades ( aside from Prongers one off assist to the final), im happy for them, and certainly hope we can get our own superstar and have our own cap issues as a result soon.   I still think their defense needs work, but soon every player that wants to win is going to be happy to freeze for six months for that luxury, and will line up for the chance.

Chia has his work cut out for him, but there's enough there now and going for the team to consider them a contender, and the team should only get better with time.

8.5 million for 8 years for Draisatl is a good deal IMO and better than expected considering people were speculating a 10 million cap hit.

For people saying The Oilers will be in cap trouble remember that's the same thing people said about The Hawks after their 2010 cup win.

Plus I think trading RNH will give the team some cap room.

9 hours ago, Xbox said:

Hypothetical question here, because this has me curious.

Could an RFA who wants the longest term possible sign a 1 year deal, then an 8 year deal immediately after if the team also wants long term? Would love to see that happen!

A player can only sign an extension in the final year of his contract.  For players on a multi-year deal they can sign as of 1 July for next 1 July.  For those on a one-year contract they have to wait until 1 January to sign an extension.  

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's where solid drafting and signings have to come into play.  Pegnuins are able to do it because they've been able to pick up guys like Sheary, Rust, Murray and Guentzel.  Hawks were able to do it for a while with Panarin, Saad, Shaw, Kruger.

So far oilers look like they are on route to do that, Benning and Caggiula were solid signings, and they have some really exciting drafts picks coming up the pipes in Yamamoto,  Puljujarvi, benson, Bear, Jones.  So it's definitely possible that they don't run into that much trouble.  

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's where solid drafting and signings have to come into play.  Pegnuins are able to do it because they've been able to pick up guys like Sheary, Rust, Murray and Guentzel.  Hawks were able to do it for a while with Panarin, Saad, Shaw, Kruger.

So far oilers look like they are on route to do that, Benning and Caggiula were solid signings, and they have some really exciting drafts picks coming up the pipes in Yamamoto,  Puljujarvi, benson, Bear, Jones.  So it's definitely possible that they don't run into that much trouble.  

Totally agree.  College UFAs will look to sign in Edmonton too.  They play for a couple seasons, maybe win a Cup, and certainly build great numbers for their next contract - likely on a different team.  Then the Oilers trade those guys for more picks, and cycle through another group.  It's rinse and repeat.  

How many ex Hawks, and Pens (who have been cycled through) have lived up to the standards reached while with the Hawks and Pens?

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As I pointed out.   Even IF they manage to sign those last 5 or 6 contracts at ELC's they'll be over the cap based on comparable contracts for comparable play for 4 or 5 of their young guys and Maroon.

If they drop RNH that helps but not as much as people think because they'd have to drop him and hope to not bring back any capand with Pouliots cap on the books for 4 more years they're not doing themselves any favours

The one major issues is again, outside of the top 10 they've done literally nothing with a decades worth of high drafting and have literally 0 quality depth to speak of.  Other teams in this same issue like the Pens, hawks etc have had a lot of late round success where the Oilers haven't.

A LOT has to work out just to keep this teams current roster the way it is without adding more cap.  Based on comparable contract extensions or re-signings I expect those 11 UFA and RFA contracts to be a serious problem for the mighty Oil

Archived