The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

1 hour ago, mll said:

A player can only sign an extension in the final year of his contract.  For players on a multi-year deal they can sign as of 1 July for next 1 July.  For those on a one-year contract they have to wait until 1 January to sign an extension.  

Oh so if we signed Bo to a 1 year deal we'd have to wait until January to offer another contact? I guess the NHL thought ahead on this loophole lol.

Personally i think this is not a good move for the oil. Too much for a guy who could amount to a middle 6 forward long term. Right now he is good, but 3 years from now if he gets slower or has a small injury or if the game gets faster he might be in trouble. If I was them I would have used that cap space to try and aquire a 50 point center and another solid winger. Trade Drais and get a couple great players on ELC's who can contribute for 2 or 3 years. 

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As I pointed out.   Even IF they manage to sign those last 5 or 6 contracts at ELC's they'll be over the cap based on comparable contracts for comparable play for 4 or 5 of their young guys and Maroon.

If they drop RNH that helps but not as much as people think because they'd have to drop him and hope to not bring back any capand with Pouliots cap on the books for 4 more years they're not doing themselves any favours

I don't see any issue of them dropping Nuge for picks or ELC players, a team like vegas would be licking at the chops for a chance to low ball for a young player like him, he's still a really good player that can put up points, and I also don't see them over straining themselves to re-sign Maroon,  and Fayne will also be let go as he's no longer an NHL quality player. so really what you're looking at is roughly 25 million for signings and raise

The already got there core locked up on D, so it comes down to strome, Nurse, caggiila, Benning and Maroon as the only players really going to get raises, and none are really going to command the moon.  I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to fit them in under 25 milion (if the cap doesn't go up)

he might take up 3 maybe 3.5 million of their 15 mill available (that's prior to nuge drop)

The one major issues is again, outside of the top 10 they've done literally nothing with a decades worth of high drafting and have literally 0 quality depth to speak of.  Other teams in this same issue like the Pens, hawks etc have had a lot of late round success where the Oilers haven't.

In the past, but Yamamoto , benson, Bear, and Jones were all outside the top 10 and all top quality prospect, and they've been able to lure top NCAA prospects as well. 

A LOT has to work out just to keep this teams current roster the way it is without adding more cap.  Based on comparable contract extensions or re-signings I expect those 11 UFA and RFA contracts to be a serious problem for the mighty Oil

I know most people here wish it would be doom and gloom, but it hasn't been a really problem for any team in the existence of the cap, teams always figure it out and it's never really set back a team from competing. 

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

As of the end of the 2018/2019 season, they will need to re-sign or extend the contracts of 11 players or find comparable/better players.  6 of those contracts will be fairly significant based on the age of and effectiveness of those players.

With the current 11 players they DO have on the roster that will need contracts, they will cost at their current value $14,775,000.  If they DO lose RNH that gives them $20,000,000 providing there is no cap at all coming back.

Of those 6 players that by todays standards have earned significant increases those contracts will be going up by $2 million each at the low end.  That is $12,000,000 with 5 contracts left

Even at ELC's the oilers would be over the cap with 5 spaces left to fill.

It's going to be very very interesting watching the Oilers try to make this work.  Because IMO Nurse, Cagiulla, Slepyshev and Maroon have all earned 2 to 4 years contracts worth a minimum of $3 million each

I'm going to enjoy watching how the Oilers manage it.  Yes, while I'd LOVE to see that level of talent on the canucks.  I would be very upset to be watching some of it be frittered away just because we couldn't afford it

How is slepyshev and nurse worth at least 3million when they haven't proven anything in the NHL level. Neither has caggiula. Maroon is definitely worth at least 3mil. The rest are just replaceable. Nurse has been awful for a top ten pick.

1 hour ago, The Great 8 said:

How is slepyshev and nurse worth at least 3million when they haven't proven anything in the NHL level. Neither has caggiula. Maroon is definitely worth at least 3mil. The rest are just replaceable. Nurse has been awful for a top ten pick.

How much did Banning give Sbisa?

Nurse will get more.

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Personally i think this is not a good move for the oil. Too much for a guy who could amount to a middle 6 forward long term. Right now he is good, but 3 years from now if he gets slower or has a small injury or if the game gets faster he might be in trouble. If I was them I would have used that cap space to try and aquire a 50 point center and another solid winger. Trade Drais and get a couple great players on ELC's who can contribute for 2 or 3 years. 

Middle 6? At 21 years of age he's already a premier 2nd line center and would be a top line center on a lot of teams. There is absolutely zero chances of him regressing into a 3rd line center. Look at the playoffs he just had. LD is THAT good.

I understand your case for trading LD for a massive haul, but Edmonton is in win now mode and when you look at the blueprint that Pittsburgh designed, Edmonton is well on their way to being a perennial SC threat. Obviously they'll run into cap trouble sooner than later, but as Chicago has shown, that can be solved by unloading their 2nd tier players. Edmonton will need to do a better job drafting though, so they constantly have a new wave of players ready to step in like Chicago has had. One other thing to note - McDavid's and LD's combined salary is the same as Toews' and Kane's. So it's been proven that this model is sustainable.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How much did Banning give Sbisa?

Nurse will get more.

as we have seen when the canucks were an elite team

players will sign for less to play for a winning squad with a chance to win the stanley cup

i really do not think the oilers are in signifcant trouble at all

i'd take their problems over the canucks problems without hesitation

a good management team can make the oilers situation work out very well

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

as we have seen when the canucks were an elite team

players will sign for less to play for a winning squad with a chance to win the stanley cup

i really do not think the oilers are in signifcant trouble at all

i'd take their problems over the canucks problems without hesitation

a good management team can make the oilers situation work out very well

mcdavid, drais, and a bag of pucks

vs sedins and ericksson

i know what i'd pick for similar contract values

so where is the real problem? the canucks or oilers

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

McDavid's and LD's combined salary is the same as Toews' and Kane's. So it's been proven that this model is sustainable.

To be fair Chicago has seriously regressed in terms of outcomes since those new contracts for Toews and Kane kicked in, IIRC. The team's last cup was on their old contracts. 

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

One other thing to note - McDavid's and LD's combined salary is the same as Toews' and Kane's. So it's been proven that this model is sustainable.

Except that those guys signed at a time when the salary cap was skyrocketing year after year, allowing them to cut but not too deeply.

There is widespread belief that the cap is going to stay pretty flat for the foreseeable future.  It is already artificially high with escrow taking a huge chunk back.  That is several years of revenue catching up to just get to where the cap is now

11 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

To be fair Chicago has seriously regressed in terms of outcomes since those new contracts for Toews and Kane kicked in, IIRC. The team's last cup was on their old contracts. 

Chicago hasn't got past the first round since those contracts kicked in. 

And that's despite also having Keith, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, and Panarin for a combined hit of under 19 million.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Except that those guys signed at a time when the salary cap was skyrocketing year after year, allowing them to cut but not too deeply.

There is widespread belief that the cap is going to stay pretty flat for the foreseeable future.  It is already artificially high with escrow taking a huge chunk back.  That is several years of revenue catching up to just get to where the cap is now

I'm not sure I follow. The cap is actually higher now than it was when Toews/Kane signed, so it will impact the Oilers less today than it has impacted the Hawks every day up until the start of last season. It now impacts both of those teams equally.

17 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I wouldn't just consider Stanley Cup seasons to be the only bar for success. Chicago is a consistent threat, year in, year out. They are one of the most successful franchises in the NHL.

But one thing Edmonton has on Chicago is the timing of these contracts. Both players won't even be 30 when their contracts expire. Where as Toews and Kane will be 33/34 and definitely on the decline.

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't just consider Stanley Cup seasons to be the only bar for success. Chicago is a consistent threat, year in, year out. They are one of the most successful franchises in the NHL.

I think when you're a cap team with some of the world's best players in their primes the only measure of success is Stanley Cups. I can't see how Chicago bowing out in the first round can be seen as anything but an abject failure. 

If we're discussing the impact of those contracts we can only judge them based on what the team has done since those cap hits have applied. What the Hawks did beforehand is irrelevant.

35 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think when you're a cap team with some of the world's best players in their primes the only measure of success is Stanley Cups. I can't see how Chicago bowing out in the first round can be seen as anything but an abject failure. 

If we're discussing the impact of those contracts we can only judge them based on what the team has done since those cap hits have applied. What the Hawks did beforehand is irrelevant.

Fair enough. Maybe Chicago wasn't the best example? I though it had been more than 2 years since they signed the contracts. But Edmonton can't be faulted for giving those contracts to McDavid or LD. They locked up their version of Toews and Kane for their prime (20s) seasons. It was the right thing to do.

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Edmonton can't be faulted for giving those contracts to McDavid or LD. They locked up their version of Toews and Kane for their prime (20s) seasons. It was the right thing to do.

That much I agree with. A player like McDavid is almost given a blank cheque, and you're an idiot if you let Leon go for anything less than a King's ransom. I just don't know how easy it'll be for them to balance out the team with those contracts. Pittsburgh has won with Sid and Geno but that was after the cap had inflated a bit and their cap hits weren't quite as huge. 

19 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That much I agree with. A player like McDavid is almost given a blank cheque, and you're an idiot if you let Leon go for anything less than a King's ransom. I just don't know how easy it'll be for them to balance out the team with those contracts. Pittsburgh has won with Sid and Geno but that was after the cap had inflated a bit and their cap hits weren't quite as huge. 

And that current cap is flat, with escrow at 15%.  In reality any increase in the cap is really just playing fool with the numbers.  It's good for the Oilers to have two great young players, but they will need to have a lot of guys playing for cheap on ELCs to win.  

I like Leon. Can the Oilers makie it work?  Sure...

But I dont believe that contract was responsible.  Obviously he could prove me wrong. I did not believe Scheifele would be as good as he is for example. But is leon worth more, and more proven than Mark?

New York found a way to sign Tavares for less coming off his ELC. Tampa Stamkos. Kane & Toews were also, you could argue, but I say, more established & had better track records coming off their ELC.  Now I don't mind mentioning Leon in the same breath?  But they were all signed for substantially less money than Draisaitl. In my opinion they were all more influential & better established players coming off their ELC

RFA is supposed to give the team some limited leverage with these good players.

Archived