The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign F Leon Draisaitl [8 year x $8.5M AAV]

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not sure I follow. The cap is actually higher now than it was when Toews/Kane signed, so it will impact the Oilers less today than it has impacted the Hawks every day up until the start of last season. It now impacts both of those teams equally.

You suggested the model is sustainable because of Chicago.

it is not, because if they had faced a flat cap world, their team would have been totally ripped apart the moment those contracts kicked in. They were rescued by ever rising ceilings and only having to lose players in order to re-sign better ones.

Going forward that is not expected to be the case.  So Edmonton won't be able to ride a similar roster for more than a war before they have to trade away depth and sign cheap players instead.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:47 AM, Pears said:

Well considering Edmonton will have $40 million tied up in McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, Russell, Larsson etc., it's gonna be awfully hard to provide the necessary depth for their stars. 

RNH also makes 6mil, plus Nurse, Klefbom and Talbot will be getting raises.. 

On 8/17/2017 at 11:01 AM, VIC_CITY said:

Middle 6? At 21 years of age he's already a premier 2nd line center and would be a top line center on a lot of teams. There is absolutely zero chances of him regressing into a 3rd line center. Look at the playoffs he just had. LD is THAT good.

I understand your case for trading LD for a massive haul, but Edmonton is in win now mode and when you look at the blueprint that Pittsburgh designed, Edmonton is well on their way to being a perennial SC threat. Obviously they'll run into cap trouble sooner than later, but as Chicago has shown, that can be solved by unloading their 2nd tier players. Edmonton will need to do a better job drafting though, so they constantly have a new wave of players ready to step in like Chicago has had. One other thing to note - McDavid's and LD's combined salary is the same as Toews' and Kane's. So it's been proven that this model is sustainable.

Hasn't Chicago continuously been bounced in the 1st round since these contracts took effect??

Correct me if I am mistaken  

On 2017-08-16 at 0:06 PM, higgyfan said:

I think that's why they brought Strome in.  Even if he plays really well this season, he won't be getting a 6M salary.  I think with the emergence of Poolparty, they will move Drais to 2nd C in time.  Just can't see them keeping RNH as their 3C.

I don't think they'll have a hard time moving RNH.

geez i forgot that they have poolparty aswell

13 hours ago, iinatcc said:

On a semi unrelated note I was showing some German girls here in Germany a picture of Leon Draistl and they said at best he's a 6/10. 

Agree or disagree?

Drai is cool, but he isn't all that. Maybe 7/10 on a good day. Only reaches 9/10 status when you learn how much money he has. True of most male athletes tbh.

10 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Hasn't Chicago continuously been bounced in the 1st round since these contracts took effect??

Correct me if I am mistaken  

They've also averaged 106 points a season over the last 2 years, including a division title last year. Yes, they haven't had any playoff success over the last 2 years but they're still a damn good team and aren't hurt in any way by those 2 contracts. You can definitely argue that that may not be the case in 3, 4, 5 years when Toews and Kane are well into their 30s, but Edmonton won't have that problem as both McDavid's and LD's contracts expire before they turn 30.

13 hours ago, marc2001 said:

Well Penguins have Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and Letang for 32.5Mill and still have depth. So I think Edmonton wont have much issue.

But that's assuming Edmonton with their supposed limited space can find the right depth. I think that's the concern when u don't have alot of wiggle room

On 8/19/2017 at 3:21 AM, iinatcc said:

On a semi unrelated note I was showing some German girls here in Germany a picture of Leon Draistl and they said at best he's a 6/10. 

Agree or disagree?

Hmmm... I'm sure those girls would marry him regardless. He can give them 68 million reasons... or 8.5 million reasons a year lol

He's pretty good looking IMO 

On 2017-08-20 at 8:30 AM, marc2001 said:

Well Penguins have Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and Letang for 32.5Mill and still have depth. So I think Edmonton wont have much issue.

There is a huge difference and three cups between Edmonton and the latest Pittsburg dynasty.  McD's contract was obscene and will cripple the franchise, Leon's was the topper. Edmonton never held the line on contracts with Hall, Eberle and TNH so they were screwed when they actually got a legit star prayer or two.  They lack the top d man needed to make the formula really work, and those are very, very expensive.  

How will they balace the cap against the very recent and limited success for the long term?  Well solid drafting and flipping players for good picks/prospects is the key.  

They have sucked at drafting outside of the top 15 in the draft for years, Chia could change that, but it will be essential for the Oilers to find late round jems, entice FA's on bargain contracts and somehow get that top flight d man. 

One playoff victory isn't a gaurantee of success. 

Draisaitls contract is 11.33% of the cap per year

comparable contracts coming off of ELC:

Stamkos - 11.33% 

Tavares - 8.55% 

Toews - 11.09%

Kane -11.09%

Backstrom -11.28%

Scheiflele - 8.29%

Panarin - 8.22%

Getzlaf - 10.59%

Seguin - 9.58%

Based on these contracts, perhaps 7.5 million (10%) would be a more accurate value for draisaitl, although oilers may have payed more aav to take it to 8 years.

Draisaitl's performance in this past years playoffs also may have cause his price to increase (he was easily the Oilers best player, save for maybe Talbot).

In terms of how the oilers will be able to afford Depth, they were heavily overpaying this past year, so trimming contracts like these would help:

Eberle - 6 million for 50 points

RNH - 6 million for 43 points

Lucic - 6 million for 50 points

=18 million dollar second line

Sekera - 4th defensemen, 5.5 million

Fayne - 3.625 million for AHL defensemen

= 9.125 Million on a 4th defensemen 

The oilers spent 27.125 million on players that really could have cost them as low as 12- 15 million.

If they can unload some of these contracts ( they already got rid of Eberle), then they can free up more than enough space to absorb the Mcdavid contract, leaving room to carry the slight overpayment on Draisaitl.

It's also worth noting the McDavid and draisaitl together had about 25% of the goals for the oilers this year, and carried the team pretty much every game (along with talbot). No chance a guy like Maroon scores 27 goals on any other line in the NHL.

Honestly, the oilers will ride mcdavid, draisaitl, and talbot as far as they can for the next 8 years or so, hoping that depth players like maroon will have their play elevated by the stars, and they will probably win a cup doing it.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:23 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I like Leon. Can the Oilers makie it work?  Sure...

But I dont believe that contract was responsible.  Obviously he could prove me wrong. I did not believe Scheifele would be as good as he is for example. But is leon worth more, and more proven than Mark?

New York found a way to sign Tavares for less coming off his ELC. Tampa Stamkos. Kane & Toews were also, you could argue, but I say, more established & had better track records coming off their ELC.  Now I don't mind mentioning Leon in the same breath?  But they were all signed for substantially less money than Draisaitl. In my opinion they were all more influential & better established players coming off their ELC

RFA is supposed to give the team some limited leverage with these good players.

THIS.   Edmonton had better hope that LD plays away from McDavid the way he did in one series in playoffs than he did away from McD during regular season during the duration of this contract or it will be a massive stone around their neck.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:21 AM, iinatcc said:

Agree or disagree?

Must be a few East German girls that group ;)

Just a little Cold War humor for those that missed it

Archived