The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild sign Matt Cullen

26 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I really think he should of just retired as back to back champions, that's the best way to exit the game.

Although I agree, money talks. He also played there for 3 years and they are still considered a "contender" at this point. 

29 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I really think he should of just retired as back to back champions, that's the best way to exit the game.

I see no reason to retire from something you love doing. I don't think it's necessarily the money. 

Why stop playing the game you love? 

He's also from Minni.

Just now, apollo said:

I see no reason to retire from something you love doing. I don't think it's necessarily the money. 

Why stop playing the game you love? 

Agreed. But there also this side of the coin that at some point you have to retire and why not retire as back to back champs rather than retiring when you are put on waivers and finish your career in the minors (that happens to a lot of veterans late in their career). That is just my view, but if he thinks he is capable of keep playing, then he should keep doing what he loves.

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Agreed. But there also this side of the coin that at some point you have to retire and why not retire as back to back champs rather than retiring when you are put on waivers and finish your career in the minors (that happens to a lot of veterans late in their career). That is just my view, but if he thinks he is capable of keep playing, then he should keep doing what he loves.

Why would you want to retire just to have something that looks nice on paper? Instead of continuing to play the sport you love. If you retired like that then you don't really love the game you love stats.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Why would you want to retire just to have something that looks nice on paper? Instead of continuing to play the sport you love. If you retired like that then you don't really love the game you love stats.

It's just an opinion. Take Nick Lidstrom as an example, he could of kept playing for another but he chose to retire while he was still a decent defenseman. Can't doubt the love Lidstrom has in the game, but sometimes knowing when to retire and when to call it a career is important. Different players and different people have different views, retiring doesn't mean stop playing hockey, you can still play in senior hockey (e.g. Ryan Smyth) and get into coaching or management roles and still work in the game you love.

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

For me it all depends on the pedigree of the player.   Cullen is not a Hall of Famer, so nobody will remember how he finished his career and where, if he still has that fire burning, why not.  If that was Crosby instead, then I would completely agree with you. 

Most notable athletes ending on a high (Manning, Bourque, Phelps, Bolt) or low (Favre, Iginla (not over yet), Jordan) are usually Hall of Famer calibre.

Also, usually superstars have many business opportunity when they retire, sponsors, commercials, branding, ambassadors, commentators, etc., making it easier.  Players like Cullen don't have that choice and usually don't know what they'll do without hockey. 

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

For me it all depends on the pedigree of the player.   Cullen is not a Hall of Famer, so nobody will remember how he finished his career and where, if he still has that fire burning, why not.  If that was Crosby instead, then I would completely agree with you. 

Most notable athletes ending on a high (Manning, Bourque, Phelps, Bolt) or low (Favre, Iginla (not over yet), Jordan) are usually Hall of Famer calibre.

Also, usually superstars have many business opportunity when they retire, sponsors, commercials, branding, ambassadors, commentators, etc., making it easier.  Players like Cullen don't have that choice and usually don't know what they'll do without hockey. 

I don't see why it should matter whether we're talking Crosby or Cullen. Shouldn't it be up to the player and not us regardless of what kind of career they have had? Rather selfish to think otherwise in my opinion.

I think guys that retire on top lose love for the game. 

Using Lidstrom as an example, he just wasn't %100 committed anymore. 

Cullen loves the game and is still %100 committed to it... Playing in his home town is a no brainer. He's got lots left in the tank. 

Guys like Brandon Pirri can't get spots in the nhl because there's better players like Cullen out there. 

27 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

It's just an opinion. Take Nick Lidstrom as an example, he could of kept playing for another but he chose to retire while he was still a decent defenseman. Can't doubt the love Lidstrom has in the game, but sometimes knowing when to retire and when to call it a career is important. Different players and different people have different views, retiring doesn't mean stop playing hockey, you can still play in senior hockey (e.g. Ryan Smyth) and get into coaching or management roles and still work in the game you love.

As a counter-example, how about Mike Keane?  Three time Stanley Cup Champion.  Outstanding NHL career.  He could have called it a career but played 5 more years for the Moose.  Sure it wasn't the NHL, but it was still pro hockey and I think it was a great way to finish off his career.

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

As a counter-example, how about Mike Keane?  Three time Stanley Cup Champion.  Outstanding NHL career.  He could have called it a career but played 5 more years for the Moose.  Sure it wasn't the NHL, but it was still pro hockey and I think it was a great way to finish off his career.

Again different opinions. I respect yours and hope you respect mine as well. Let's end this argument here :)

19 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

In that 5 years with the Moose look what he did for the Canucks. I was surprised that he never became a HC. So many of the Canucks that played with him spoke highly for how he helped their careers.  

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Old as he may be, he's still a 30 point-getter.  Solid deal; I'm surprised he didn't re-sign with the Pens.

His family lives in Minnesota.  He left Nashville two years ago (Poile wanted to keep him) because they wanted to return home and have his kids grow up there.  

39 minutes ago, mll said:

His family lives in Minnesota.  He left Nashville two years ago (Poile wanted to keep him) because they wanted to return home and have his kids grow up there.  

Fair enough.  Considering the cups, it tells me he's more a family man than needing (more) glory.

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Lidstrom's decision had a lot to do with his family.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

In that 5 years with the Moose look what he did for the Canucks. I was surprised that he never became a HC. So many of the Canucks that played with him spoke highly for how he helped their careers.  

Keane rode off into the sunset playing the final years of his hockey career in Winnipeg, his hometown.  Good on Matt Cullen for signing a deal with the Wild.  For me, he's still one of the best fourth line centers in the NHL right now.

Archived