The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ESPN Insider: Pronman] Ranks Canucks prospect pipeline 9th in league

aGENT

9 Vancouver Canucks Previous rank: 13

I'm sure Vancouver fans may argue their slot should be a little higher after using back-to-back No. 5 overall picks, with those picks being Olli Juolevi and Elias Pettersson. Although both are good prospects, they don't move the needle at an elite level. However, Brock Boeser provides a lot of value, and looked outstanding in his brief NHL time this past season. Getting Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa was also a boost to this system.

18 Winnipeg Jets Previous rank: 3

Despite not having a lottery pick in recent drafts, the Jets have quite a few top prospects in their system, between Kyle Connor, Jack Roslovic and Kristian Vesalainen. Not every pick they've made has looked like a winner, and the depth is just OK, but they could supplement an already good young NHL core with their top prospects.

Yet again I am questioning Pronman and I just don't know why.  Every time he puts this list out he marks his criteria then immediately goes against it.

Flyers at 1.  Ok, Patrick is his reasoning...really?  They'd not even be top 7 on my list.  Some ok D prospects and Patrick who screams potential bust.  That is not #1

Yotes at 2.  Perfect in my eyes, they're top 3 for prospects no matter how you spin it.

Preds at 3.  Not so much.  Certainly top 10 but to quote it as "star power" I don't see that with the Preds anywhere.  Just decent prospects.  Nothing to get excited about

Islanders at 4.  OK why?  Because of barzal?  Who else do they have?  Sorokin?  Best goalie prospect?  Hmmm  To shallow to be top 5

Devils at 5.  Because of Hischier alone?  The devils are thin for being so bad.  Prospects not prospect.  Again, against his own criteria

Wild at 6.  Putting them in the same place as the Preds.  more middle of the pack.  Good prospects but nothing to get uber excited about yet.   YET!

Lightning at 7.  Dammit...have to agree here.  They've built something special, managed to stay under the cap and STILL have solid prospects to burn.  Stupid Cal Foote...

Blues at 8.  Again, why?  A couple of intriguing prospects but not uber excited.  Pronman.  By your own criteria bud...look deeper than just this year

Nucks at 9.  Gonna get flamed here but ya, I see 9-10 right now.  1 more decent draft and we're top 3.  More than just this year and late round success

Boston at 10.  MacAvoy.  That is all.  Seriously, kids a stud but pretty thin afterwards.

I won't go deeper because this is all just my opinion but I've always taken Pronman with a huge shot of sodium (grain of salt) because he makes his criteria, states it's set in stone.  Then immediately goes against it.

For me, again my opinion; prospect depth, skill is set against more than 1 draft and includes 

• NHL ready prospects
  • Emergence of young stars
  • Star power and name recognition
  • Late round success
  • Long term viability

Meaning to say 1 prospect drafted this year alone with such a shallow pool behind them should not qualify a team to be in his top ten.  But a team like Carolina who has done nothing but steadily build players that will win you cups and now has the ability to drop an NHL caliber player in to the league every year for the next 3-5 years from their pool is at 15.

1 MacAvoy sets Boston in to the top 10, but an entire core of young top prospects in the Jets system doesn't even set them in the top 15.

Again, my opinion only but I never really put much stock in to Pee Mans lists anymore.  But I will echo myself from a few prior threads when i say the canucks are on the path to something good.  2 more drafts in the top 10 and another in the top 20 with extra picks in the first 3 rounds could see us with the deepest prospect pool this organization has ever had.

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yet again I am questioning Pronman and I just don't know why.  Every time he puts this list out he marks his criteria then immediately goes against it.

Flyers at 1.  Ok, Patrick is his reasoning...really?  They'd not even be top 7 on my list.  Some ok D prospects and Patrick who screams potential bust.  That is not #1

Yotes at 2.  Perfect in my eyes, they're top 3 for prospects no matter how you spin it.

Preds at 3.  Not so much.  Certainly top 10 but to quote it as "star power" I don't see that with the Preds anywhere.  Just decent prospects.  Nothing to get excited about

Islanders at 4.  OK why?  Because of barzal?  Who else do they have?  Sorokin?  Best goalie prospect?  Hmmm  To shallow to be top 5

Devils at 5.  Because of Hischier alone?  The devils are thin for being so bad.  Prospects not prospect.  Again, against his own criteria

Wild at 6.  Putting them in the same place as the Preds.  more middle of the pack.  Good prospects but nothing to get uber excited about yet.   YET!

Lightning at 7.  Dammit...have to agree here.  They've built something special, managed to stay under the cap and STILL have solid prospects to burn.  Stupid Cal Foote...

Blues at 8.  Again, why?  A couple of intriguing prospects but not uber excited.  Pronman.  By your own criteria bud...look deeper than just this year

Nucks at 9.  Gonna get flamed here but ya, I see 9-10 right now.  1 more decent draft and we're top 3.  More than just this year and late round success

Boston at 10.  MacAvoy.  That is all.  Seriously, kids a stud but pretty thin afterwards.

I won't go deeper because this is all just my opinion but I've always taken Pronman with a huge shot of sodium (grain of salt) because he makes his criteria, states it's set in stone.  Then immediately goes against it.

For me, again my opinion; prospect depth, skill is set against more than 1 draft and includes 

• NHL ready prospects
  • Emergence of young stars
  • Star power and name recognition
  • Late round success
  • Long term viability

Meaning to say 1 prospect drafted this year alone with such a shallow pool behind them should not qualify a team to be in his top ten.  But a team like Carolina who has done nothing but steadily build players that will win you cups and now has the ability to drop an NHL caliber player in to the league every year for the next 3-5 years from their pool is at 15.

1 MacAvoy sets Boston in to the top 10, but an entire core of young top prospects in the Jets system doesn't even set them in the top 15.

Again, my opinion only but I never really put much stock in to Pee Mans lists anymore.  But I will echo myself from a few prior threads when i say the canucks are on the path to something good.  2 more drafts in the top 10 and another in the top 20 with extra picks in the first 3 rounds could see us with the deepest prospect pool this organization has ever had.

Real solid post Hippy! Agree with your Canuck positioning. The higher end prospects have to show more to me to get more excited. Your T-Bay is bang on. Would move them up. I expect a top 5 draft position again this year which should help. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Real solid post Hippy! Agree with your Canuck positioning. The higher end prospects have to show more to me to get more excited. Your T-Bay is bang on. Would move them up. I expect a top 5 draft position again this year which should help. 

Top 5 for us this year witht he prize being one of the best potential defenders in a decade or a star winger plus additional late round finds (which we've had every year since 2013) will help us

But his list is so off in some places based on his criteria it isn't even funny.  Bolts are going to be scary, same with canes same with Jets.  Blues, Bruins etc all fading due to lack of prospects and aging cores.

No stock in Pron or Man

Agree on most of your statements there @Warhippy. Hard to say where I'd rank the Canucks overall given his ratings are so far all over the place vs reality but likely +/- couple spot from where he has them is probably right. So at least he's not far off there.

There's certainly a few teams that should be lower and some that should be higher as you stated though. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

9 Vancouver Canucks Previous rank: 13

I'm sure Vancouver fans may argue their slot should be a little higher after using back-to-back No. 5 overall picks, with those picks being Olli Juolevi and Elias Pettersson. Although both are good prospects, they don't move the needle at an elite level. However, Brock Boeser provides a lot of value, and looked outstanding in his brief NHL time this past season. Getting Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa was also a boost to this system.

It seems fair and correct to me. If Gaudette continues to improve as he has been and we get another top 5 pick, hopefully an "elite D" then we'd probably rank 4-5 range next year and thats actually great and we can start working towards getting the window open for the group we have. 

28 Edmonton Oilers Previous rank: 8

A rare sight during the past decade: The Oilers don't have much coming in terms of prospects! This year's first-round pick Kailer Yamamoto is promising, and the Oilers have some decent depth at defense, but overall, the system is thin and light on impact. More than any other fan base, I imagine long-suffering Oilers fans aren't incredibly concerned with this at the moment, given that their youthful team made it to the Western Conference finals this past spring.

Umm...no they didn't.

I swear I've heard/read this statement before as well. It's like everyone is so excited about them that they are just spotting them a full round.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think it's fair. If we had an elite guy in there wed probably top 3 or 5. Hopefully that comes next year.

It's tough to draft an elite guy with anything other than a top 3 pick. 

As long as the old boys club does their draft behind closed doors, Vancouver will NEVER have a top 3 pick. Those pieces of trash (old boys) hate us cuz they aint us. 

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Anything's better than the mid-twenties we used to be.

And in really pretty short time too and without the help of lotto balls.

That was only a few years ago. Any of the people questioning Benning's ability to rebuild should looks closely at that.

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

As long as the old boys club does their draft behind closed doors, Vancouver will NEVER have a top 3 pick. Those pieces of trash (old boys) hate us cuz they aint us. 

Oh yeah I'm not putting blame on anyone I'm just saying that to get to the top 5 we'll need one of those prospects. 

11 minutes ago, apollo said:

Each team has a representative in the room when the lottery balls are drawn - Vancouver had Francesco Aquilini.  You can see him at the 40 second mark when they do a scan of the room.  

https://www.nhl.com/video/inside-the-draft-lottery-room/t-288687876/c-51768703

His top-3 are Clayton Keller (7th), Nico Hischier and Matthew Barzal (16th).

Archived