The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Clown Rally in Van-City? Unleash the hounds!

luckylager

http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/15/mayor-robertson-encourages-counter-protest-ahead-far-right-rally/

News bulletin- You guys have a bunch of Nazi's coming to town on Saturday..

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A confrontation is brewing in Vancouver as counter-protesters prepare to meet a rally of far-right groups at city hall.

Mayor Gregor Robertson says his administration is working with Vancouver police and city hall security to ensure that whatever happens on Saturday remains safe and peaceful.

He is also encouraging people to push back against bigotry, saying the city has “zero tolerance of hatred and racism and discrimination.”

“I think it’s really important that people speak out at every opportunity against racism and hatred,” Robertson says. “I know there will be a vigorous turnout of people protesting the white supremacist rally, whatever that turns out to be. I think there’s no place for that in Vancouver.”

The Worldwide Coalition Against Islam and the Cultural Action Party are behind the rally, and have been actively encouraging other like-minded groups to participate. A Facebook post promoting the event has since been removed, but NEWS 1130 has confirmed with an organizer that the rally is still a go.

This has not gone unnoticed by Isabelle Rowe-Codner and her group Stand Up to Racism, who are planning a counter-protest.

“Any promotion of hatefulness and of bigotry in our community should go opposed, because hate speech eventually becomes hate crimes, and we don’t want what happened in Charlottesville to happen in our community, and so we have to be there to make sure our voices are louder” she says.

Rowe-Codner adds Stand Up to Racism will have “peace bearers” at the rally to break up any violence that springs up, as well as trained medics to deal with possible injuries.

While they normally operate outside public view, white nationalist groups have been placed in the spotlight recently because of high-profile clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/15/mayor-robertson-encourages-counter-protest-ahead-far-right-rally/

News bulletin- You guys have a bunch of Nazi's coming to town on Saturday...

A friend of mine in B.C texted me yesterday and said one those rallies were coming to Vancouver. To be honest I didn't believe him but I guess it is true.

We live very close to city hall, and my wife and i talked this morning about whether or not we should go and protest these fools. We decided its better not to feed the trolls in this case. I think these groups feed off protest, and it would be better to have them stand out in the open looking stupid in a tiny group. 

But I do understand the desire to want to protest these fools too so I'm a bit torn. 

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

And I don't like Vancouver Nazis but I don't constantly slam Vancouver. 

Good for you, thats some real progress. I don't constantly "slam" Calgary, sure I make some jokes about the Flames (this is CDC).... and sure sometimes pick on Alberta but come on... its Alberta.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Good for you, thats some real progress. I don't constantly "slam" Calgary, sure I make some jokes about the Flames (this is CDC).... and sure sometimes pick on Alberta but come on... its Alberta.

It's not the flames I care about it's the people of Alberta you knock that is annoying. 

42 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is accurate. @S'all Good Man on a few occasions chooses to slamCalgary and Alberta saying it's full of racists.

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

now you know how I feel when you post hateful anti-Muslim things. 

You know the two of you could just put each other on ignore and that'll help everyone out.

Back on topic after hearing that guy play the boson as he followed the neo Nazis around while they demonstrated it kind of makes me want to go to this rally and play the circus theme on guitar.  But I'll avoid this gongshow for a plethora of reasons.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

You know the two of you could just put each other on ignore and that'll help everyone out.

Back on topic after hearing that guy play the boson as he followed the neo Nazis around while they demonstrated it kind of makes me want to go to this rally and play the circus theme on guitar.  But I'll avoid this gongshow for a plethora of reasons.

normally I do but I'm not going to be slandered by him and just leave it. Sorry if it got annoying. 

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

How about the bagpipes?  That would drown them out, and irritate too:)

Archived