The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TERROR ATTACK :Barcelona: Van hits crowd near Las Ramblas

kurtis

Here we go again folks...

(CNN)A van plowed into a crowd of people in Barcelona, injuring several people, in what is "most likely" a terror attack, a Catalan police spokesman told CNN.

The incident took place Thursday afternoon near the popular tourist area of Las Ramblas, which has been sealed off, according to a police spokesman.
Officials said several people have been injured. They were unable to give a motive for the incident.
Catalan police told everyone in the vicinity of Plaça de Catalunya to remain inside.

Reuters reported that local emergency services have requested the closure of metro and train stations in the vicinity of the incident. Police told people to avoid the area.
A witness told local media the situation was "very tense" and that all surrounding shops were being evacuated. The witness said at least eight ambulances were at the scene. Emergency services said the area had been cordoned off and all public transportation stopped.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy tweeted: "In contact with all administrations. Priority: tend to the injured in Las Ramblas and facilitate the work of security forces."
The US Consulate in Barcelona posted on Twitter: "We are aware of a reported incident at Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Please avoid the area and monitor local police @mossos for updates."
Developing story - more to com

Reports of 13 dead and 50+ injured.

Warning quite graphic scene... 

Unreal.  Commonplace now but unreal.

Possibly the saddest part of this is knowing there were kids involved.

Possibly the most disgusting is how those who defended James Field in Charlotteville will now be calling for blood for this

There's literally no positives from any of the events in this world these days :(

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Unreal.  Commonplace now but unreal.

Possibly the saddest part of this is knowing there were kids involved.

Possibly the most disgusting is how those who defended James Field in Charlotteville will now be calling for blood for this

There's literally no positives from any of the events in this world these days :(

Who in the hell defended that guy? Nazis don't count. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

They also don't count. 

Agreed. However, as long as the message gets out, willing ears and eyes intercept it.

We can both say that they don't count and erase them from our collective clipboard (why does that make me think of Willie?), they do have disenfranchised minds that have been forgotten and left out by society to pick up and "inform".  

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Who in the hell defended that guy? Nazis don't count. 

You'd be surprised.  Here are the statements in order

1.  The car was a runaway

2.  They were in the road

3.  They didn't move fast enough

4.  He was just scared

5.  If they weren't in his way

I REALLY wish I was kidding man.  You can literally go on any story about that anywhere online and see those excuses for his crimes.  even sadder you can now go online and see EVERYONE immediately calling this a "muslim/islam" thing without ANY proof of who how or why.  Yet when asked if that means they share the same religion as James Field the Charlotteville killer they tell you that you're trolling....

Honestly, this entire world needs a bottle of bleach tossed in to the gene pool and a reset.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. However, as long as the message gets out, willing ears and eyes intercept it.

We can both say that they don't count and erase them from our collective clipboard (why does that make me think of Willie?), they do have disenfranchised minds that have been forgotten and left out by society to pick up and "inform".  

To be honest I thought the KKK was dead, kinda like separatism in Quebec if you understand what I mean by that. Still pockets I guess but very small. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

4.  He was just scared

I REALLY wish I was kidding man.  You can literally go on any story about that anywhere online and see those excuses for his crimes.  even sadder you can now go online and see EVERYONE immediately calling this a "muslim/islam" thing without ANY proof of who how or why.  Yet when asked if that means they share the same religion as James Field the Charlotteville killer they tell you that you're trolling....

Honestly, this entire world needs a bottle of bleach tossed in to the gene pool and a reset.

With all the good $&!# that this world has to offer us, why the hell would anyone spend their time hating anyone based on religion, race, sexual orientation,etc?

Just live your life man and let everyone live their own......

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

4.  He was just scared

I don't want to derail this thread but I will just add you can't be a nationalist in Canada or the U.S and support Nazism. It's just not possible!

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The generation that would rather document than help.

Yup like that fiery crash on the highway last week.  Emergency Crews couldn't get past all the parked cars of people filming while 2 heroes saved the day.  I bet the first thing that goes through their minds "Oh my youtube account will get so many hits from this!"

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

To be honest I thought the KKK was dead, kinda like separatism in Quebec if you understand what I mean by that. Still pockets I guess but very small. 

I know what you mean. While society can say that these factions need to go away and never come back, they always seem to manage to survive.

That, too me, is the biggest issue. This refusal to psychologically address the existence of separatist/hate/violence groups. Why do they continue to find people interested in joining? Is it swaths of the population that are disenfranchised with governments that basically don't give a $&!#? Too many humans on the earth? Or the fact that while mental health/illness is a great hashtag and talking point, nothing is ever actually done on the basic level to help people who feel vulnerable, frightened, misunderstood?

I don't know. And I'm pretty sure know one else does either.  

Archived