The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev to Arizona

Hi Everyone

Has anyone thought that Arizona may just need that good veteran RHD who can  compliment the other 3.......I think Tanev does this and makes them a playoff contender....this coming year, and as their young guys strengthen, they move up the ladder to compete with the big boys.......please note I said "playoff " contender not "Cup" contender

My proposal is this...........

Van - Tanev

for

Arz - P.O. Joseph (2017 - 23 OA) + 2018 1st (unprotected) + Luke Schenn

I have a bigger plan,,,,,,,but this is the start..............lol

5th OA..................RH Defencemen

17th OA............... Best forward Available

34th OA............... RH Defenceman

Our future Dmen would be complete and would we most likely would have an excess of good young Dman

My though about this trade is we probably add 3 future NHLers within the first 34 picks of a strong draft, and we also add PO Jeseph, which is the 4th high draft addition......this does not include what Benning may be able to pick from the 3 to 7th rounds.................

That is 8 very good prospects in 2 years, without stretching the truth..............10 if you add the Players from the Hansen and Burrows trades (Goldobin + Dahlen)

Luke Schenn is a UFA at the end of the year, and we can decide our next moves at that time.............If Tryamkin comes back, we put him on the right side?

I would be interested in this!

Short term pain for long term gain

Either way....that's a good start to a rebuild!

The rhd you speak of drafting are gonna take years to develop and trading tanev could spin us into a oilers decade long rebuild. I don't think JB shelf life will be that long if he takes us down that dark path. JB needs to get us out of this rut within a few short years or he's gonna be fired.  We need four good veteran defenceman not four huttons who will take years to develop. Perhaps the rhd you speak of may develop quicker or maybe they take until their mid twentys if thats the case then JBs gone before that and likely TL so I dont think they risk their futures heres on lottery tickets. 

P.O. Joseph is a nice target, but yeah,  might be too far away from NHL ready though.

I think the yotes could be a good landing spot for Tanev, assuming they are not on his no trade list. 

Christian Fischer (C/RW) or Kyle Wood (RHD) could be other options  - I could see them willing to move one or  2 of those guys for Tanev.

Here we go again, I thought the Tanev's unrealistic proposals era was over.

Two first rounders, including a highly probable top 14 in a deep 2018 draft is ludacris.

- Marcus Johansson a pretty good player was just traded for a 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

- Marc Methot was traded for a 2nd rounder, which is a pretty good comparable to Tanev, only older.

- Travis Hamonic was traded for a 1st (which will likely be late) and 2 x 2nd rounder.  Hamonic is the same age as Tanev, with similar defensive abilites, much better all-around game than Tanev, with a bigger pedigree and drawing much more interest around the league. 

IMO The very best case scenario, we get the same return as Hamonic did.

Well, not saying this is a perfect trade....just wanted to start some debate on it............

Tanev is exactly what Arizona needs to complete their defensive core, and with the young core of very strong young players, they would be in position with their extra cap space to go out and sign a veteran or 2 and start competing.......I think they deserve that, and I don't think that is too far fetched

For the Canucks................once the Sedins leave we have a void that should take 2 or 3 years to replace (Hopefully that short of time), so my thought is we have the time to completely shape an very close to complete defense.

PO Joseph, is 2 to 3 years away, which co-insides with the other part of our rebuild, and he would be considered a late 1st in the 2018 draft, or 2 seconds in value, and the first is the gamble each team takes to impact their team, if it is what I think it would be, then it brings us in us a 17 OA ish pick, it should be a very decent pick, if its a 23 OA of less, than that is the risk, but still a first in a strong draft.....as for Schenn, he fills the void for the year, left by trading Tanev short term, and is a UFA at years end....

Perfect trade .....no, but a decent starting point

19 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, not saying this is a perfect trade....just wanted to start some debate on it............

Tanev is exactly what Arizona needs to complete their defensive core, and with the young core of very strong young players, they would be in position with their extra cap space to go out and sign a veteran or 2 and start competing.......I think they deserve that, and I don't think that is too far fetched

For the Canucks................once the Sedins leave we have a void that should take 2 or 3 years to replace (Hopefully that short of time), so my thought is we have the time to completely shape an very close to complete defense.

PO Joseph, is 2 to 3 years away, which co-insides with the other part of our rebuild, and he would be considered a late 1st in the 2018 draft, or 2 seconds in value, and the first is the gamble each team takes to impact their team, if it is what I think it would be, then it brings us in us a 17 OA ish pick, it should be a very decent pick, if its a 23 OA of less, than that is the risk, but still a first in a strong draft.....as for Schenn, he fills the void for the year, left by trading Tanev short term, and is a UFA at years end....

I doubt Benning would deliberately weaken the team.  He explained that if he moved Tanev he would be looking for another D who can fill his role.  The risk is that the development of players stagnates or even regresses.  The team might have more prospects but them reaching their potential is less likely.  

Stecher, Hutton etc will be forced into a role they are not ready for.  One of the biggest problems for the Canucks is getting the puck out of their own end.  Forwards can't learn offence if all they do is spend their shifts trying to gain possession.  

The Wild had goalie trouble before finding Dubnyk.  There was a lot of blame going around and players not trusting each other on the ice anymore. Guys like Coyle and Niederreiter were cutting their shifts short because they just wanted to get off the ice and not get scored on. They were scared to play and were just dumping the puck in.  Players don't develop in that kind of environment.  Benning is trying to prevent that.

Just want to add that Arizona has no legit goaltender, they will not be playoff contenders IMO. 

People may not agree but I believe Tanev fits our rebuild. 3-4 years tops I would like to think we are competing and by that time Tanev will still be in his prime 30 to 31 yo.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You really think a team that finished 27th overall or something in the league last year and was lead in scoring by the all mighty Radim Vrbata will make the jump in the top 16 teams or even the top 10????  IMO you're overvalueing their rebuild process over there.  They are no where near the Leafs, Sabres, Columbus, Oilers or Flames in terms of upcoming team.  To me they are closer to the Oilers pre-McDavid.

On top of that they traded their reliable #1 goalie and replaced him with unproved goalies and seperated from a good coach that probably help them overachieve.

IMO Arizone is an injury away to OEL from having a top 1 odd in the next year's lotery.

Anyways that's my view of the Coyotes.

We're past the point where trading Tanev makes sense. Last summer was the time to do it when top 4 defensemen were not in abundance and we were still in need of prospects and draft picks. Not to say we're overloaded with prospects, but Tanevs value isn't as high as it was last summer because it was a sellers market last year, whereas it would be a buyers market at this point.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, BowtieCanuck said:

We're past the point where trading Tanev makes sense. Last summer was the time to do it when top 4 defensemen were not in abundance and we were still in need of prospects and draft picks. Not to say we're overloaded with prospects, but Tanevs value isn't as high as it was last summer because it was a sellers market last year, whereas it would be a buyers market at this point.

This wasn't the draft for moving Tanev for picks.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎18 at 0:07 PM, timberz21 said:

You really think a team that finished 27th overall or something in the league last year and was lead in scoring by the all mighty Radim Vrbata will make the jump in the top 16 teams or even the top 10????  IMO you're overvalueing their rebuild process over there.  They are no where near the Leafs, Sabres, Columbus, Oilers or Flames in terms of upcoming team.  To me they are closer to the Oilers pre-McDavid.

On top of that they traded their reliable #1 goalie and replaced him with unproved goalies and seperated from a good coach that probably help them overachieve.

IMO Arizone is an injury away to OEL from having a top 1 odd in the next year's lotery.

Anyways that's my view of the Coyotes.

Maybe someone else would like to chime in on this........

My view was that they have added Derek Stephan, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Antti Raanta, which in it's self makes them stronger............

I don't have the same high opinion of Mike Smith

And the addition of Tanev would really solidify the defense..................

The addition of Hjalmarsson and Tanev on defense and the maturing of their young forwards and Stephan

I think makes them a much better team......................

How much better? I don't know, but I think they start climbing out of their hole.......

I think they do anyways.......maybe they sign Fransen as well.....they have the cap  space

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Maybe someone else would like to chime in on this........

My view was that they have added Derek Stephan, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Antti Raanta, which in it's self makes them stronger............

I don't have the same high opinion of Mike Smith

And the addition of Tanev would really solidify the defense..................

The addition of Hjalmarsson and Tanev on defense and the maturing of their young forwards and Stephan

I think makes them a much better team......................

How much better? I don't know, but I think they start climbing out of their hole.......

I think they do anyways.......maybe they sign Fransen as well.....they have the cap  space

I'd tend to agree. They made some moves this summer that gets them some decent vets and they've got a TONNE of very good prospects that should be coming on line this season or soon. Adding Tanev to that would certainly help get them in realistic shooting range for playoffs.

Now that's not to say they'd be viewed as a cup contender but given their market and business/financial issues, they need to at least start to be competitive for a playoff spot to get butts in seats and try to at least slow the bleeding of cash.

They'd do that by winning some games. Tanev would certainly help all those talented young forwards do just that. If we retained $1-$1.5M, they'd likely be even more eager (and increase our return).

On 8/18/2017 at 3:09 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Everyone

Has anyone thought that Arizona may just need that good veteran RHD who can  compliment the other 3.......I think Tanev does this and makes them a playoff contender....this coming year, and as their young guys strengthen, they move up the ladder to compete with the big boys.......please note I said "playoff " contender not "Cup" contender

My proposal is this...........

Van - Tanev

for

Arz - P.O. Joseph (2017 - 23 OA) + 2018 1st (unprotected) + Luke Schenn

I have a bigger plan,,,,,,,but this is the start..............lol

5th OA..................RH Defencemen

17th OA............... Best forward Available

34th OA............... RH Defenceman

Our future Dmen would be complete and would we most likely would have an excess of good young Dman

My though about this trade is we probably add 3 future NHLers within the first 34 picks of a strong draft, and we also add PO Jeseph, which is the 4th high draft addition......this does not include what Benning may be able to pick from the 3 to 7th rounds.................

That is 8 very good prospects in 2 years, without stretching the truth..............10 if you add the Players from the Hansen and Burrows trades (Goldobin + Dahlen)

Luke Schenn is a UFA at the end of the year, and we can decide our next moves at that time.............If Tryamkin comes back, we put him on the right side?

I would be interested in this!

Short term pain for long term gain

Either way....that's a good start to a rebuild!

The market for Tanev probably will not bear Joseph & a first?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stars-acquire-defenceman-marc-methot-in-trade-with-golden-knights/article35474105/

Now Tanev is younger than Methot. Arguably better. But Marc is not the only D man who has attracted a lower return than Taylor Hall since the Larsen trade took place.

This was pointed out to me in another thread. And I have since accepted it.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The market for Tanev probably will not bear Joseph & a first?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stars-acquire-defenceman-marc-methot-in-trade-with-golden-knights/article35474105/

Now Tanev is younger than Methot. Arguably better. But Marc is not the only D man who has attracted a lower return than Taylor Hall since the Larsen trade took place.

This was pointed out to me in another thread. And I have since accepted it.

The market for LGK D is not the same as the market for the rest of the league's D.

It will also soon cease to be even their market at the beginning of the year after the LGK have traded/waived etc whoever they're going to move to get down to an official roster.

Then even their D will go back up to 'normal' value.

Archived