The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Grit. 17/18

Freeridebc

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Not when it's a cheap retaliatory hit.  You don't want Virtanen to have that kind of reputation.  He was lucky that Polak was not injured.  It wasn't just WD - Henrik also criticised the lateness of the hit. 

Criticism fine in the room, but not in the press.  Teammates have each other's backs.  Too much of that public stuff over WD's tenure here.  Hansen, Sutter, Daniel too all criticized teammates publicly.  WD did the same with Tryamkin.  It's not good for the team.  

Naming three guys on an entire club who are capable of some hits and fights is not very intimidating. The problem that the Canucks have retained since the Sedins became top 6 players is that automatically two of the top six players are not physical players. They can take hits, but they don't traditionally initiate. Some other teams' star players can play physically, like Benn, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, etc.. So automatically out of the gates, we're having to try to ensure at least some of the four others in the top six are physically dominant. But we're starting a new 5'11 club with softies like Baertschi, Gagner, and Goldobin, who are meant to be top-six talent, but when put together, it leaves us very susceptible to becoming a puck-lugging punching bag. The loss of Tryamkin is devastating on a defense of lightweights in Hutton, Stecher,  and Tanev. 

Benning has done a fairly sufficient job in reseeding this team, but in my mind, he's still dropping the ball on team toughness. We as Canucks fans have watched our team get pushed around for too long. If we're set to lose at least a couple of more years, let's at least win some fights in the process.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Not when it's a cheap retaliatory hit.  You don't want Virtanen to have that kind of reputation.  He was lucky that Polak was not injured.  It wasn't just WD - Henrik also criticised the lateness of the hit. 

Polak has done his share of questionable hits, for me it was Karma and also I'm 100% behind what he did despite whatever the coach or players said.    To me it's how he can establish a reputation as a dangerous even loose cannon which combined with his ability to throw thunderous legal hits will eventually create extra space for himself and teammates given the opposition will start been extra wary when he's on the ice.

Gordie Howe cracked his stick over heads of the first three guys that tried to drop the gloves with him in the very first WHA games to send a message. ( He stuck his fingers in the nose of a guy stupid enough to mess with his sons and dragged him around for a bit).   Just ask Gretzky what he said when he embarrassed him the first time he stripped him of the puck too.  Intimidation has always been part of the game and it gets into the other teams head.

This is hockey not ballet, playing dirty is sometimes necessary, and personally I think if Virtanen is going to make it he needs to start by using his physical tools and playing on the edge, it's definitely something the team could use.

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Naming three guys on an entire club who are capable of some hits and fights is not very intimidating. The problem that the Canucks have retained since the Sedins became top 6 players is that automatically two of the top six players are not physical players. They can take hits, but they don't traditionally initiate. Some other teams' star players can play physically, like Benn, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, etc.. So automatically out of the gates, we're having to try to ensure at least some of the four others in the top six are physically dominant. But we're starting a new 5'11 club with softies like Baertschi, Gagner, and Goldobin, who are meant to be top-six talent, but when put together, it leaves us very susceptible to becoming a puck-lugging punching bag. The loss of Tryamkin is devastating on a defense of lightweights in Hutton, Stecher,  and Tanev. 

Benning has done a fairly sufficient job in reseeding this team, but in my mind, he's still dropping the ball on team toughness. We as Canucks fans have watched our team get pushed around for too long. If we're set to lose at least a couple of more years, let's at least win some fights in the process.

Can't name 3 guys right now, but Pedan might get guaranteed a spot because of the little guys.

Actually even with Pedan there won't be three, at least not three that will put any fear into anyone.

PATRICK WIERCIOCH fills in for Tryamkin only in being close in size he doesn't have many pim's.

3 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Lol who cares about Roman polak the guy is a goon.

The new core is forming and they have already shown they will take care of each other.

The gladiator days are over. ..

What year is it lol?

Just wait for Kane, Crosby, Toews, Mathews or McDavid to get run again or, heaven forbid, seriously injured. The "guardians", pardon the pun, will be riding shotgun again and then concussions will go way down.

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Can't name 3 guys right now, but Pedan might get guaranteed a spot because of the little guys.

Actually even with Pedan there won't be three, at least not three that will put any fear into anyone.

PATRICK WIERCIOCH fills in for Tryamkin only in being close in size he doesn't have many pim's.

Just wait for Kane, Crosby, Toews, Mathews or McDavid to get run again or, heaven forbid, seriously injured. The "guardians", pardon the pun, will be riding shotgun again and then concussions will go way down.

It's already started with PIT trading their first for Reaves and publicly stating they weren't done adding toughness.  The reason is they didn't like the fact teams in the playoffs knew there would be littles retribution for taking liberties against star players, Crosby especially.  Gretzky and his entire team appreciated what Semenko (RIP) brought to the table, and eventually Benning should do the same, the earlier the better IMO so when the stars arrive they know people have their backs ( and if we are to be an easy win at least we won't be push overs).

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's already started with PIT trading their first for Reaves and publicly stating they weren't done adding toughness.  The reason is they didn't like the fact teams in the playoffs knew there would be littles retribution for taking liberties against star players, Crosby especially.  Gretzky and his entire team appreciated what Semenko (RIP) brought to the table, and eventually Benning should do the same, the earlier the better IMO so when the stars arrive they know people have their backs ( and if we are to be an easy win at least we won't be push overs).

I liked the idea (and short lived attempt) to play Pedan at forward.  He looked not bad in that role.  Then Pedan stands up for a teammate, and pounds a guy after a dirty hit, and WD doesn't play Pedan another shift after that.  A new coach, who actually played in the NHL, will reward grit, and standing up for one another.

37 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Concussions will go way down when they bring in a bunch of oafs to punch each other in face and seek retribution for any liberties taken on star players? Nah.

Teams can't afford to ice players like that anymore. Pedan and Dorsett aren't going to be gifted spots in the lineup for toughness. Not in a lineup where you are looking at weircioch, Subban and juolevi fighting for a spot... Not when you have goldobin boucher gaunce virtanen all knocking on the door.

NOT A CHANCE. This ain't rock em sock em anymore boys.

21 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Concussions will go way down when they bring in a bunch of oafs to punch each other in face and seek retribution for any liberties taken on star players? Nah.

Teams can't afford to ice players like that anymore. Pedan and Dorsett aren't going to be gifted spots in the lineup for toughness. Not in a lineup where you are looking at weircioch, Subban and juolevi fighting for a spot... Not when you have goldobin boucher gaunce virtanen all knocking on the door.

NOT A CHANCE. This ain't rock em sock em anymore boys.

If the league loses Mathews, McDavid and Laine due to questionable hits how much do you think that costs in marketing? Or each team in playoff money? Sooner or later the team's protect their investment, as stated Pittsburgh is now loading up to protect Crosby and not with lawyers or good intentions.

A lot of blindside hits would be reduced considerably if the player knew he would be facing instant retribution in the form of a knuckle sandwich. I am not talking about the "staged" fights, I am talking about protecting the star players from the AHL player trying to make a name for himself.

Having players think about aiming better or having a chat with Mr. Clean.

You talk about the staged goon stuff, that only came around in the late 90's and mostly for entertainment, fans love that stuff and still do, before that players played without helmets and very few lost eyes or got concussions mostly because they knew they would be lit up if they did. The Orr injury really started the escalation.

Probert got dragged into the "staged fight era" and suffered the ultimate injury, 160 lb Yzerman would never have scored he way he did without him, but there are most of the "tough" guys from the 70's, 80's and early 90's that are running teams and didn't suffer those stupid stage fights. Some of them were really skilled as well scoring over 30 goals a season occasionally.

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I liked the idea (and short lived attempt) to play Pedan at forward.  He looked not bad in that role.  Then Pedan stands up for a teammate, and pounds a guy after a dirty hit, and WD doesn't play Pedan another shift after that.  A new coach, who actually played in the NHL, will reward grit, and standing up for one another.

Absolutely.  Travis Greens own story says a lot about who he is as a coach, having gone through the process of what makes a true professional NHLer.  It's a blank slate for both him and the team going forward, can't wait to see how he brings the young guys into the line up and watching their growth as players.  Moments that galvenize teams often are when things get rough.

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

The team needs to grow some "collective balls". and a powerplay

That's tough to do with so many significant players with no grit.. the Sedins might take a beating but they don't fight or hit, Loui is soft as a pillow, none of our young players are really tough.. I think we're just going to have to suffer another season or two until we (hopefully) grow into a team like the Blackhawks, where we're too fast and high scoring for other teams to afford penalties. Come to think of it, good call on our PP being the best deterrent to getting run over. The stars are really going to have to align for that to be us this season though.

2 hours ago, Bovechkin said:

This is legit the most accurate, and to the point summary of what's needed ;)

17 minutes ago, Davathor said:

That's tough to do with so many significant players with no grit.. the Sedins might take a beating but they don't fight or hit, Loui is soft as a pillow, none of our young players are really tough.. I think we're just going to have to suffer another season or two until we (hopefully) grow into a team like the Blackhawks, where we're too fast and high scoring for other teams to afford penalties. Come to think of it, good call on our PP being the best deterrent to getting run over. The stars are really going to have to align for that to be us this season though.

It's not so much bout grits, meat and taters; it's all about push back. Just little feisty reminders "Don't f with me". Especially when our PP is garbage.

No more - skate away, head down. Especially when our PP is garbage. 

Hack em back. Punch him. Stand up for yourselves until the PP isn't absolutely disgraceful garbage. It's embarrasing for a fan like me. I'm not every fan, I'm a simple hockey fan. I don't need goonery and blood everywhere....

But I do really respect guys that foolishly stand up for themselves and their team. That's all.

When the question of grit comes up I seem to always come back to that series a couple seasons back versus Cgy.   We didn't have an answer whatsoever for that dirty mofo Ferlanda and I still don't see one on the roster this season either.   You don't want Quads in the box wasting his time with the likes of the Ferlandad's of the league and no other roster regulars are going to respectably match up with that type of opposing player and I don't mean simply fighting either.   That punk ran roughshot all over our lineup until Juice couldn't take it anymore and lost his cool.  Where's our answer for punks like that....?

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

No way. Crosby's been run and suffer a few beauty concussions. McD got the slew knock down, pretend fall, trip, board ride. Sure, what's his name had to answer the bell a few times, and that's good, but these so called "guardians" (pardon the pun) aren't playing anymore.

"Guardian Hockey" just might be dead

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

When the question of grit comes up I seem to always come back to that series a couple seasons back versus Cgy.   We didn't have an answer whatsoever for that dirty mofo Ferlanda and I still don't see one on the roster this season either.   You don't want Quads in the box wasting his time with the likes of the Ferlandad's of the league and no other roster regulars are going to respectably match up with that type of opposing player and I don't mean simply fighting either.   That punk ran roughshot all over our lineup until Juice couldn't take it anymore and lost his cool.  Where's our answer for punks like that....?

Hopefully Jake and Gadjovic can be our reckless crashabouts.

Go be the answer, Jake.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

No way. Crosby's been run and suffer a few beauty concussions. McD got the slew knock down, pretend fall, trip, board ride. Sure, what's his name had to answer the bell a few times, and that's good, but these so called "guardians" (pardon the pun) aren't playing anymore.

"Guardian Hockey" just might be dead

Although the pens did sign Ryan reaves and don't they carry big tom sestito for back up?

i miss goons.

Just now, riffraff said:

Although the pens did sign Ryan reaves and don't they carry big tom sestito for back up?

i miss goons

There's a lot I miss about old school hockey, but mostly 15 goal games (9-6). The the guys that enabled those crazy numbers were enforcers, and crappy goalies.

I don't miss the sheer volume of staged fights, but I really miss cheap rats getting their ass handed to them almost instantly, and all the goals. Lots and lots of scoring.

At least in the enforcer days guys were head accountable immediately, on the ice. 

Now, guys need to stick up for themselves and their teammates ALL.THE TIME. The Canucks need to start doing that.

Sorry for yelling

Archived