The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sweden to deport 106yo Afghani woman, world’s ‘oldest refugee’

Ryan Strome

“There is no doubt that the security situation in Afghanistan is serious. At the same time, we have assessed that levels in the conflict vary within and between different provinces in the country. Conflict has thus not reached a level where it affects everyone throughout the country,” Fredrik Beijer, Head of Legal Affairs at the Migration Board wrote.

Bibihal Uzbeki, 106, fled the Taliban incursion into Kunduz, Afghanistan in 2015. She travelled with her family through Iran, Turkey, Greece and Croatia before ending up in Skaraborg, Sweden where she applied for asylum, reports The Local.

When the journey became too arduous, her son and grandchildren were forced to carry her before she was eventually provided with a wheelchair.

“It was a difficult journey for the whole family. We carried her until we reached Germany, there a doctor finally gave us a wheelchair,”her son Mohammad told Skaraborg Läns tidning in 2016.

Uzbeki’s asylum application was rejected in June and she has been ordered to leave the country along with all other rejected Afghan refugees, according to the Swedish investigative journalism website Blankspot.

She will appeal the decision in the Migration Court, however.

There have been several protestson the streets of Stockholm decrying the decision to expel asylum seekers in recent months.

Afghan security forces, despite an estimated $700 billion in US military assistance since the 2001 invasion, are still battling the Taliban which has stepped up its attacks in several provinces. Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) terrorists have also gained foothold in the turbulent state.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.rt.com/document/5999b43bdda4c8db0f8b4567/amp/400329-sweden-deport-worlds-oldest-refugee

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

She came in illegally?  Deal with it.

They're trying to put an end to this open border nonsense.  

Papers or pack it on home 

Nah she will just head to the U.S then cross into Canada.

Seriously though Sweden allows their country to be over run and then denies a 106 year old. The article says she is appealing so I'm guessing she we live out her days in Sweden given she is a 106.

There should be an age limit on deportation, if you can get somewhere after the age of lets say, 90, you get to stay.  I'm not saying give her a free ride, but don't send her back to a war zone.  If she wants to join her family back in Kunduz then fine, but she's 106, give her a bed, a case of ensure, some diapers, a TV and let her live out what time she has in peace.  Perhaps it's not as simple as I suggest, but there is some merit to the idea.  Even better idea, send all old refugees to the Philippines. 

45 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

There should be an age limit on deportation, if you can get somewhere after the age of lets say, 90, you get to stay.  I'm not saying give her a free ride, but don't send her back to a war zone.  If she wants to join her family back in Kunduz then fine, but she's 106, give her a bed, a case of ensure, some diapers, a TV and let her live out what time she has in peace.  Perhaps it's not as simple as I suggest, but there is some merit to the idea.  Even better idea, send all old refugees to the Philippines. 

I was thinking parksville but the Philippines will work too.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nah she will just head to the U.S then cross into Canada.

Seriously though Sweden allows their country to be over run and then denies a 106 year old. The article says she is appealing so I'm guessing she we live out her days in Sweden given she is a 106.

Death has been around the corner for her for over 20 years lol. 106, that's a hell of a run. I give her credit for surviving the journey. That is some serious heart.

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

She came in illegally?  Deal with it.

They're trying to put an end to this open border nonsense.  

Papers or pack it on home 

There's also human decency which seems to be in short supply nowadays. I can imagine there is quite the long queue of illegal and able bodied men to be sent back from whence they came

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

There's also human decency which seems to be in short supply nowadays. I can imagine there is quite the long queue of illegal and able bodied men to be sent back from whence they came

You're missing the sarcasm I see and the point of the post.

On one hand "OMG illegalz depotz dem all"

On the other "OMG 106 yeerz old, show da compashunz"

I'm equal opportunity, close the borders sure.  Deport people ok.  But fair is fair.  Mostly because it amuses me to see people on that side of the argument twist themselves up trying to justify one while ok'ing another

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You're missing the sarcasm I see and the point of the post.

On one hand "OMG illegalz depotz dem all"

On the other "OMG 106 yeerz old, show da compashunz"

I'm equal opportunity, close the borders sure.  Deport people ok.  But fair is fair.  Mostly because it amuses me to see people on that side of the argument twist themselves up trying to justify one while ok'ing another

So what does that look like? Rolling grandma out on a gurney into a cargo plane destined for Kabul? I just don't see the point of that, some one extremely low priority and of microscopic consequence, when Ahmed and Mohammad down the block are sitting in their apartment constructing bombs and browsing for a van to rent. 

16 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So what does that look like? Rolling grandma out on a gurney into a cargo plane destined for Kabul? I just don't see the point of that, some one extremely low priority and of microscopic consequence, when Ahmed and Mohammad down the block are sitting in their apartment constructing bombs and browsing for a van to rent. 

You don't see the point because you don't see the process.

Deportation isn't rounding them up en masse and flying them out.

She'll die comfortably where she is long before they kick her out.  But it's showing people they're not screwing around.

When most of the attackers or terrorists in Europe this far have been born or raised in these countries it's harder to catch them at the border. 

But it's a start

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You don't see the point because you don't see the process.

Deportation isn't rounding them up en masse and flying them out.

She'll die comfortably where she is long before they kick her out.  But it's showing people they're not screwing around.

When most of the attackers or terrorists in Europe this far have been born or raised in these countries it's harder to catch them at the border. 

But it's a start

It's a pretty weak point. Prove your point by immediately removing these losers from the country that are known to police - not grandma. Especially for terrorist links or petty theft - illegal or not. A zero tolerance policy. Instead they keep them around and monitor them and far too many slip under the radar because it's a never ending compounding problem which they don't have the resources or man power to tackle. 

Archived