The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers Ready to Trade RNH Below Value

Ursel23

@OilersFeed

I'm not exactly sure how reliable this source is but I'm reading that the Oilers are accepting the fact that they may have to start looking into moving RNH. With Draisaitl and Mcdavid locked up it might be too hard to keep the Nuge around. With the Oil close to the Cap they can't bring back a big contract forcing them to only ask for middle grade prospects and draft picks. In my opinion the Oilers are going to want defence. I think the Canucks should take a long hard look at making a deal with the Oilers when the time comes. If the Canucks are going to have any chance at competing with the Oilers in the next decade we need to be strong up the middle. Good centre depth is key to winning. Having Horvat, Pettersson, Nuge would be huge. It just makes me wonder what kind of deal the Canucks could offer to make it happen. 

- Sutter & 1st? (Do we want to give up a high first round pick?)

- Chris Tanev & a draft pick

- Any other defender and a 1st

... it will be interesting to see what kind of offers the Oilers get when it does in fact come time to move RNH. 

Original source:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-are-gearing-up-to-sell-low-on-ryan-nugent-hopkins 

not sure this is technically a rumour... but assuming Bo is our 2C going forward, which one of Petterson or RNH do you think is the 3C? Neither. The Oilers are trading him because he is not 3C capable. We don't need to inherit the same problem. 

4 minutes ago, Ursel23 said:

@OilersFeed

I'm not exactly sure how reliable this source is but I'm reading that the Oilers are accepting the fact that they may have to start looking into moving RNH. With Draisaitl and Mcdavid locked up it might be too hard to keep the Nuge around. With the Oil close to the Cap they can't bring back a big contract forcing them to only ask for middle grade prospects and draft picks. In my opinion the Oilers are going to want defence. I think the Canucks should take a long hard look at making a deal with the Oilers when the time comes. If the Canucks are going to have any chance at competing with the Oilers in the next decade we need to be strong up the middle. Good centre depth is key to winning. Having Horvat, Pettersson, Nuge would be huge. It just makes me wonder what kind of deal the Canucks could offer to make it happen. 

... it will be interesting to see what kind of offers the Oilers get when it does in fact come time to move RNH. 

Sutter and 1st is massive overpayment for RNH.    A first round pick in 2018, given the Vancouver franchise will likely be picking top 10, could be as good a player alone as RNH ever becomes or has been.

Chris Tanev alone would be fair market if they are really looking to move him - I would not offer a draft pick on top.   Tanev is arguably as good a defender as AD and Taylor Hall is vastly superior to RNH.

On the third one, just no to the first.

I believe Vancouver would need a generational player offered in return to think about moving any of their first two picks next year - and as that will not happen (such an offer), simply no to the picks moving.   Canucks are on a nice chart to refilling the cupboard and through FA and smart asset moves that don't involve high draft picks, they should be able to keep that going for a few seasons and then hopefully be very competitive once again.  Short-circuiting the good momentum now doesn't make a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I believe Vancouver would need a generational player offered in return to think about moving any of their first two picks next year - and as that will not happen (such an offer), simply no to the picks moving.  

I can't believe anyone would think moving our 1st next year plus Sutter, or a 1st and any of our other D would be a fair deal for RNH. Its really mind boggling. 

The original source comes from Edmonton Journal:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-are-gearing-up-to-sell-low-on-ryan-nugent-hopkins

@OilersFeed grabs the news from the https://www.hockeyfeed.com/ site, where that site usually posts the same news from other media outlets.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

He will be moved to Nashville. Nashville needs to replace Mike Fisher and they have a plethora of D-men to offer up in return.

Weber, Irwin, Emelin?

Last draft they hoped that Ds would be their BPA in the first two rounds because their system is depleted.  

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

He will be moved to Nashville. Nashville needs to replace Mike Fisher and they have a plethora of D-men to offer up in return.

Ahh, interesting. RNH for Emelin? Well, knowing Chia, he'd be okay accepting Weber.

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks will be strong up the middle, without RNH - Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, MacEwen

I'm sure some other team will fleece the Oilers.

I keep hearing this depth argument in threads like this and the Kerfoot one but people seem to be ignoring the very real possibility that Pettersson ends up being a winger.

Having said that, OPs trade suggestions are horrible. Massive overpayment on our part. I would consider a RNH for Sutter swap, just because of RNH's age. But that's about it. 

37 minutes ago, Ursel23 said:

@OilersFeed

Original source:

Frankly, I'd rather keep Sutter and see what he can actually do for us (he's had both at least some good individual play and he's made the players around him better at least some of the time - don't have the advanced stats on that but that's my gut feel).  I certainly don't want to give up Sutter and a 1st round pick.  Sutter has had back luck with injuries and never really got into full stride in a Canucks uniform.  I'm still waiting to see what he can do for us.  He's still young yet, no point in giving up on him too soon.  Nuge has some good offensive skills but he's not so "huge" and has he really made the Oilers that much better?  Furthermore, how does trading one center for another center improve our depth at center?  GCG!

35 minutes ago, Ursel23 said:

@OilersFeed

Original source:

The article you are quoting is refuting the idea that Chiarelli would sell low on RNH.  

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I would consider a RNH for Sutter swap, just because of RNH's age. But that's about it. 

Would put to much defensive pressure on Horvat IMO and stunt his offensive growth.

Only thing I'd give up for him would be one of our wingers. Eriksson would be ideal but there's no way they go for that given his cap (and that being the reason they want to dump RNH).

Baer would work but I'd want a hell of an add for taking on that contract, talented player or otherwise. Their 18 1st or Yamamoto or bust.

RNH, Horvat, Boeser/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner 

...is a capable top 6, mid-rebuild. With either an extra 18 1st or Yamamoto in our pocket for later.

Archived