The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers Ready to Trade RNH Below Value

Ursel23

Just now, Jiggs50 said:

RNH at 6 million is a joke. He doesn't fit our team and he's the type of player that disappears in the playoffs. Easily one of the top 10 softest dudes in the nhl. 

Pass. 

Agree completely, not interested at all, he's softer than a marshmallow and way way overpaid!! 

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, a Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser top line would be pretty awesome.

Sure would and hopefully Gaudette develops into a 2C but we still need more depth at C. Kerfoot would be a nice addition since he's a free prospect, although I have my doubts about him. But our prospect pool should be looking damn good with another good draft next year. Then it's just a matter of these kids developing. But unless we hit a home run with someone like Goldobin, I think we're still probably 3 years away from being a playoff team. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A first round pick in 2018, given the Vancouver franchise will likely be picking top 10, could be as good a player alone as RNH ever becomes or has been.

Here are the value of specific draft picks.  A random top-10 pick is only worth about a 6 to a 6.5 (on TSN's scale)?  That's the equivalent of a top-8 forward.  No better than a third-liner.  All our presumed top-10 pick next year is worth - is a career 3rd-line forward (assuming we have an equal chance at #1 as #10).  Of course, we'll absolutely suck next year, so our pick isn't just a random top-10 pick, it's a near-guaranteed top-5 pick (which is worth a lot more).

In the long-run, draft picks aren't worth as much as everyone here thinks they're worth.  Very few of them ever turn out (except the high ones, of course).

A random top-10 pick in next year's draft is worth so much less than RNH it's not even funny.  They aren't even comparible.  He's worth a top-5 pick at least (7.22 on TSN's scale).

2 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Here are the value of specific draft picks.  A random top-10 pick is only worth about a 6 to a 6.5 (on TSN's scale)?  That's the equivalent of a top-8 forward.  No better than a third-liner.  All our presumed top-10 pick next year is worth - is a career 3rd-line forward (assuming we have an equal chance at #1 as #10).  Of course, we'll absolutely suck next year, so our pick isn't just a random top-10 pick, it's a near-guaranteed top-5 pick (which is worth a lot more).

In the long-run, draft picks aren't worth as much as everyone here thinks they're worth.  Very few of them ever turn out (except the high ones, of course).

A random top-10 pick in next year's draft is worth so much less than RNH it's not even funny.  They aren't even comparible.  He's worth a top-5 pick at least (7.22 on TSN's scale).

What?  RNH worth a top 5 pick?  Am I understanding your post?  You would give up a chance (a pretty good chance too) of drafting an elite difference making guy for RNH?  

6 hours ago, Ursel23 said:

@OilersFeed

I'm not exactly sure how reliable this source is but I'm reading that the Oilers are accepting the fact that they may have to start looking into moving RNH. With Draisaitl and Mcdavid locked up it might be too hard to keep the Nuge around. With the Oil close to the Cap they can't bring back a big contract forcing them to only ask for middle grade prospects and draft picks. In my opinion the Oilers are going to want defence. I think the Canucks should take a long hard look at making a deal with the Oilers when the time comes. If the Canucks are going to have any chance at competing with the Oilers in the next decade we need to be strong up the middle. Good centre depth is key to winning. Having Horvat, Pettersson, Nuge would be huge. It just makes me wonder what kind of deal the Canucks could offer to make it happen. 

- Sutter & 1st? (Do we want to give up a high first round pick?)

- Chris Tanev & a draft pick

- Any other defender and a 1st

... it will be interesting to see what kind of offers the Oilers get when it does in fact come time to move RNH. 

Original source:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-are-gearing-up-to-sell-low-on-ryan-nugent-hopkins 

Just think for a second.......without any more trades, the Canucks who have ranked in the top 10 in prospects with several agencies, will have the next 2 years drafting in the top 10, if not the top 5.........................That is a Offensive Dman and an Offensive Center.............that is with out any of our other picks from those years turning out or any picks from any trades

We just don't need RNH in our rebuild.

Certainly not for any 1st round picks!

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

What?  RNH worth a top 5 pick?  Am I understanding your post?  You would give up a chance (a pretty good chance too) of drafting an elite difference making guy for RNH?  

You're doing it again (assuming that picks turn out, when you should be assuming no such thing).  You have to look at the chance that they turn out instead.  The probability.  Not the pie-in-the-sky dream, but the reality.  You can't just cherry-pick the best ones and assume that's what you'll get with your picks (like everyone does around here all day).

A top-5 pick doesn't guarantee you a 'difference making guy'.  Remember Bryan Allen?  We took him 4th overall.  Virtanen?  6th.  Stojanov 7th.  Herter 8th.  Woodley 7th.  Sandlak 4th.  Etc...  You can't just look at the Sedins and say that we're going to get superstars with our top-5 or 10 picks.  About half of our top-10 picks don't turn out - ever.  Half.  You can't just look at a top-10 pick and say you're going to get a great player with that pick - that's not what history has shown us happens.  History has shown us that only a fraction of top-picks turn out, not 100%.  You have to account for that in the value of a pick.  If you have 6 top-10 picks in your pool of prospects, you have to assume that 3 of them are never going to make it to the show full-time.  Ever in their careers.

Read that link I posted - and try to understand what it all means.

For instance, you'll notice that the average expected-value of a top-5 draft pick is only a top-6 forward or top-4 defenseman.  Half do better, half do worse.  That means that half of top-5 picks never make it onto the top two lines.  They never become a star.  Half of top-5 picks. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just think for a second.......without any more trades, the Canucks who have ranked in the top 10 in prospects with several agencies, will have the next 2 years drafting in the top 10, if not the top 5.........................That is a Offensive Dman and an Offensive Center.............that is with out any of our other picks from those years turning out or any picks from any trades

We just don't need RNH in our rebuild.

Certainly not for any 1st round picks!

Hey this is just a question to the fans man... 

and who's to say the next 2 of our first round picks will work out? Not to mention the ones we already got... like I don't know... Virtanen! (McCann! Shinkaruk later first round) 

i personally don't like giving up a top 10 pick... 

7 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

not sure this is technically a rumour... but assuming Bo is our 2C going forward, which one of Petterson or RNH do you think is the 3C? Neither. The Oilers are trading him because he is not 3C capable. We don't need to inherit the same problem. 

I agree with you, but one reason why we might want RNH is if Pettersson takes long time to develop, say 3 to 5 years. Then, RNH is a good choice to fill that gap along with Horvat.

7 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree with you, but one reason why we might want RNH is if Pettersson takes long time to develop, say 3 to 5 years. Then, RNH is a good choice to fill that gap along with Horvat.

If a top 5 pick takes 5 years to develop... I think it's safe to say he's a bust.

5 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

RNH at 6 million is a joke. He doesn't fit our team and he's the type of player that disappears in the playoffs. Easily one of the top 10 softest dudes in the nhl. 

Pass. 

We're like 4 or 5 years away from even having a sniff at a playoff birth. He fits the same age group as the people we want to build around (22-25). If it was Sutter and a mid-round pick for RNH. I'll be all up for it. 

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

He will be moved to Nashville. Nashville needs to replace Mike Fisher and they have a plethora of D-men to offer up in return.

They signed Nick Bonino and also have Jarnkrok, Smith and Sissons that can play center.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

We're like 4 or 5 years away from even having a sniff at a playoff birth. He fits the same age group as the people we want to build around (22-25). If it was Sutter and a mid-round pick for RNH. I'll be all up for it. 

We could be 10 years away and I still wouldn't want that soft and made of glass 6 million boy Nuge :picard:

Archived