The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A great article for the budding GM

1 hour ago, groovy said:

He may just be entering his prime. You can`t just trade away guys if you don`t have someone to replace them with! Yes, we want and need all the picks we can get but still need to compete.

I agree we need to compete, for a top 5 draft pick.  

On 8/21/2017 at 8:19 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Just a great article on the amount of picks vs draft success.............well worth the read!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-value-of-acquiring-nhl-draft-picks-at-the-trade-deadline/

The reason I have posted this is first off, the amount of discussion around trading vets for picks during a rebuild and secondly to illustrate why Benning's success has improved at the draft table compared to say Gillis or other GM's that continually trade picks for promises.........

No other great opinion, just wanted to share this with you......it is a little older now, but it does bring home the point.

Gillis drafted Horvat, won 2 presidents trophies and took us to the final.

Benning drafted Boesser, name me one other tangible thing Benning has done to help this franchise? 

He is the worst drafting GM we've ever had

On 8/27/2017 at 1:00 PM, HockeydownUnder said:

I wouldn't worry. Pretty sure we'll still be in the running for one of those

Yes, but that brings to light another problem.

We have a GM that REFUSES to take the BPA, he has passed on NHL stars every year he's been in charge, and they weren't HIDDEN stars either, they were rated AHEAD of the guys our GM picked.....it doesn't matter if we get top 5 picks if the guy making them keeps going out of his way to screw up.

With Benning it'd like you offer him a choice of two $20 bills or one $100 dollar bill and he says: " I'll take the two twenties because there's more of them than the other kind"

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Benning drafted Boesser, name me one other tangible thing Benning has done to help this franchise? 

Patience Grass Hopper, patience!

Our players are developing and we are building......another couple years and we will see, but we need to be patient!

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Yes, but that brings to light another problem.

We have a GM that REFUSES to take the BPA, he has passed on NHL stars every year he's been in charge, and they weren't HIDDEN stars either, they were rated AHEAD of the guys our GM picked.....it doesn't matter if we get top 5 picks if the guy making them keeps going out of his way to screw up.

With Benning it'd like you offer him a choice of two $20 bills or one $100 dollar bill and he says: " I'll take the two twenties because there's more of them than the other kind"

No, you don't get to pick and choose, which lists you want to quote, most of our young guns were pretty much in the position we choose them in, on one list or another......

Well, I will give you Virtanen, but he was even on some lists, pretty close to where he got picked

Patience! LOL

8 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Granlund and Baertschi trades

Drafting Demko and Tryamkin

I like the Juolevi pick. Comparing a defensemen to a winger after 1 year of being drafted is pointless. Juolevi has the tool set to be a number 2 defensemen and those don't grow on trees.

As for Gillis, I appreciate him getting us to game 7 of the cup final but he was far from perfect. He loved giving out no trade clauses. While that may have helped him get a smaller cap hit at the time, it's made moving vets out that much harder. We would have gotten a better deal for Kesler but he demanded a trade and got to pick only a few teams that he wanted to go to. Gillis traded far too many draft picks for rentals. Deals like Derek Roys are the reason our prospect pool was so shallow. Finally the Luongo contract. The way it was structured gave the Canucks a low cap hit for the cup run. The recapture penalties are going to hurt us a few years from now

Far too early to call Benning a bust, especially with the way Gillis left the team

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] A great article for the budding GM
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎22 at 8:10 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

CbrsD4nVAAAgX8w.png

Let's just keep an eye on the big picture............

It is not important to win this year, or next....................

But in the 3rd year, we could be in a very strong position to win

We have a lot of veterans again, with all the UFA's..........of which some we can more later (TDL)

We have a good prospect pool.......of which IMO many will graduate from

We will have good cap space next year

We are in a good position

But it will take time......we need to give it time!

Archived