The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think there will be a green light for Uber in BC eventually?

kurtzfan

http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/21/bc-greens-ride-hailing-legislation/

BC Greens to re-introduce ride-hailing legislation in the fall

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – It won’t be item number one, but ride hailing will definitely be on the agenda when the BC legislature reconvenes this fall.

Green Party leader Andrew Weaver has announced plans to re-introduce his Ridesharing Enabling Act in October, which would pave the way for companies like Lyft and Uber to start operating in the province.

“We believe it’s critical to send a signal to the international community that we’re willing to embrace that new technology, and I’m convinced we’ll be able to do that collectively and collaboratively,” he says.

Weaver’s bill has been introduced twice before, most recently in February 2017.

Since then, all three major provincial parties have campaigned on bringing in ride hailing, though Premier John Horgan has been non-specific about how an NDP government would do that.

Weaver says the major difference between the upcoming legislation and previous versions is that ICBC will be instructed to create an insurance category specifically for ride-hailing vehicles.

“I’ve told [the premier] that I will be bringing this in in October, and he’s supportive,” Weaver adds.

The lack of a regulatory framework has not prevented ride hailing companies from popping up in Vancouver anyway, Weaver points out.

“Raccoon Go has something like 300 cars in Vancouver… it’s here, but it’s operating under the table. We need to have a proper regulatory regime to allow competition in the marketplace, and to have regulation in the marketplace,” he says.

Horgan’s Chief of Staff Geoff Meggs was a very outspoken opponent of Uber during his time as a Vancouver city councillor, though he has insisted he will not have much influence over policy in his new role.

“The reliance on and demand for ridesharing is growing, and BC needs to be ready for it,” the BC NDP says in a statement issued today. It adds the premier will be working with “taxi drivers, taxi companies and ridesharing companies to create a truly fair approach… that doesn’t unfairly benefit – or punish – one group over the other.”

Before their government was defeated, the BC Liberals promised to bring in ride hailing by the end of this year while also introducing initiatives to help the taxi industry stay competitive.

49 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Cannot wait for Uber. Bonny's Taxi does not deserve my business. 

I remember these guys regularly blowing through my daughters elementary school zone each morning at 60km/hr. I have no love for these clowns either. 

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I remember these guys regularly blowing through my daughters elementary school zone each morning at 60km/hr. I have no love for these clowns either. 

We took a cab back from YVR and the guy talked on his phone the entire time (it was 1am and it was a personal call). When we got to our destination, when the guy put the car in park, he got a facebook notification and instead of telling us our fare he proceeded to check his Facebook message on his dashboard. I was livid at that point.

How do people get around BC right now? I'll be in Van later this year, and am wondering how to navigate the city since we won't have our own car. Do people still walk everywhere even in winter?

Public transit in my city is atrocious. Without Lyft/Uber a lot of us would be stranded. 

I guess it's a choice between regulated and unregulated taxi's.  Given the climate towards deregulation nowadays, that can of worms will get opened and it'll be another free-for-all race to the bottom.  Cheap has a price too, we're just not the ones that always pay it.

22 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

How do people get around BC right now? I'll be in Van later this year, and am wondering how to navigate the city since we won't have our own car. Do people still walk everywhere even in winter?

Public transit in my city is atrocious. Without Lyft/Uber a lot of us would be stranded. 

Public transit in Vancouver is more than solid enough to get you around fairly quickly. I used it for years before I bought a car.

31 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

I think zipcar lets you drive in both the US and Canada if you are in one of their cities for car sharing, but really for your trip all you need is the skytrain from the airport and walking. The downtown is small and there are lots of free shuttles to other places (like Capilano suspension bridge or Grouse mtn). A skytrain daypass is cheap and you can buy one at one of the machines at the airport station platform: https://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

We took a cab back from YVR and the guy talked on his phone the entire time (it was 1am and it was a personal call). When we got to our destination, when the guy put the car in park, he got a facebook notification and instead of telling us our fare he proceeded to check his Facebook message on his dashboard. I was livid at that point.

Did you express your displeasure in his tip?

The only time the city ever seems to do anything quickly is when it involves preserving some aspect of corruption. The people who own the taxi licenses are a huge lobby group now. What was originally meant to regulate and ensure competent taxi drivers has now become a way totally limit anyone from entering the taxi market. I know there are safety concerns with Uber, but quite frankly it's not as though becoming a taxi driver requires some rigorous training. 

Can't wait for Uber, but I'm convinced the city will find a way to block and delay its arrival. Putting a bike lane in an expensive neighbourhood to quell traffic...now that's something the city can get behind!

Oh yeah, and what is with the apparent aversion to GPS among all taxi drivers? They refuse to use it and then ask me for directions. It is your god damn profession, take some pride in it.

That's why I'll be happy to fork over money to Uber drivers doing it to earn a bit of money on the side while they attend university. 

Archived