The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Kerfoot to sign with Colorado Avalanche

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

No doubt. MG would have given him a 6 year contract with a full NTC. 

LOL! 

Come on man... MG never signed any deal as bad as Loui's... which was 6 years, 6 mill and pretty close to a full NMC 

His biggest payouts as GM was on Sedins... which you can't blame him on and Luongo. Sure he made some other high signings like Burr or Edler but that's the price you pay when your team is successful and stars need to be re-signed. 

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

Pretty sure his Dad is a majority owner of the Whitecaps.

Yup.. Per Wikipedia

I did some googling... drug boss? Multi millionaire... maybe he could buy the avs. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/28/bc-drug-boss-likely-set-up-botched-hit-on-witness-against-him-us-court-documents

"His brother, Vancouver Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot, declined through a spokesman to comment."

Also, he has the most expensive home in whistler apparently ... now assessed at 16.5 mill ... man kid must have been spoiled growing up! Must be nice. 

"#1. What does it take to be the Most Expensive home in Whistler? If you said a NHL size hockey rink with seating for over 100 of your closest friends you would have guessed right! This 1 level property spread across 500 ft. of waterfront is a spectacular modern creation in property development today. 2177 Lake Placid Rd is owned by Greg Kerfoot, the owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team. Greg is the CEO of Crystal Decisions and Seagate Software and his Whistler property has just added to his collection of prestige properties in BC. The property has been assessed with a value of $13,900,000! With a living area of 15,000 sq. ft this home is not short of space. The property is separated in a space age pod setup which is very cutting edge! I guess thats what it takes to be Whistler’s Most Expensive Property."

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Financially it is a big deal for Kerfoot. I assume that his contract will be something like 800K in the NHL and 70K in the AHL -- a difference of maybe 700K or more in salary. (And he gets the signing bonus either way.)

See my post above this... but clearly Kerfoot could careless about finances. His dad is extremely well of. 

Well off enough to have an NHL sized ice rink in his Whistler home... 

I think it just comes down to him seeing as the Avs having the easiest NHL roster for him to crack

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

LOL! 

Come on man... MG never signed any deal as bad as Loui's... which was 6 years, 6 mill and pretty close to a full NMC 

His biggest payouts as GM was on Sedins... which you can't blame him on and Luongo. Sure he made some other high signings like Burr or Edler but that's the price you pay when your team is successful and stars need to be re-signed. 

I agree that the Loui signing was bad in hindsight. Particularly now that we know he's not going to produce anywhere near where we had expected him to.

I liked MG, still do. But lets not pretend he didn't have his flaws. Handing out those NTC like he did really handcuffed this team for half a decade.

45 minutes ago, apollo said:

LOL! 

have you seen the cap recapture penalty we're in for if Lu retires early?

15 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

have you seen the cap recapture penalty we're in for if Lu retires early?

Yup and it's %100 illegal what they did. Aquaman will get his lawyers on it if the time comes. 

The contract was signed before that rule. 

Look what Chicago just did with Hossa. It's almost identical contracts... 12 years 63 mill for Hossa and 12 years 64 million Lui

It's absolute genius what MG did and should have got us a cup rightfully in 2011 and 2012. 

Chicago got their 3 cups by cheating with this method. Now that Hossa is done his 7.9 million cash years and final 4million year, he's suddenly developed an allaergy for the final 4 years at 1 mill each .

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yup and it's %100 illegal what they did. Aquaman will get his lawyers on it if the time comes. 

The contract was signed before that rule. 

Look what Chicago just did with Hossa. It's almost identical contracts... 12 years 63 mill for Hossa and 12 years 64 million. 

It's absolute genius what MG did and should have got us a cup rightfully in 2011 and 2012. 

Chicago got their 3 cups by cheating with this method. Now that Hossa is done his 7.9 million cash years and final 4million year, he's suddenly developed an allaergy for the final 4 years at 1 mill each .

The rules are the rules and Aquilini has 30 equal partners that had to follow the same ones.  He's not an employee of the NHL so any legal options are severely limited.

He was just too cheap to use one of his two free buyouts on Luongo.  That's neither the NHL's nor his 30 other partner's fault.  Aquilini preferred to kick the can down the road, and with Luongo's hip problems seriously creeping up on him this past off-season, it's just about time to pay the piper and there's no one else to blame but ownership and MG.

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The rules are the rules and Aquilini has 30 equal partners that had to follow the same ones.  He's not an employee of the NHL so any legal options are severely limited.

He was just too cheap to use one of his two free buyouts on Luongo.  That's neither the NHL's nor his 30 other partner's fault.  Aquilini preferred to kick the can down the road, and with Luongo's hip problems seriously creeping up on him this past off-season, it's just about time to pay the piper and there's no one else to blame but ownership and MG.

The guy has done nothing but throw money at the franchise to help us succeed. I don't think he's a cheap owner at all. The guy inherited such a massive empire that 50 million means very little to him. I think at the time the buy out would have cost 10-20 mill at most. 

You don't buy out the greatest goalie in franchise history and at the time the most dominant goalie in the NHL for the past 10 years (at the time of compliance buyouts being introduced... not 2007-2017) I think it was 2013 it was introduced? Scratch Franchise history and greatest goalie... arguably the greatest athlete to ever step foot in Canada. :goat::goat::goat::goat:

You realize Hossa signed the exact same deal but 1 million less and Chicago isn't going to pay a penny of recapture right? 

Put Luongo on any team other than Vancouver during his prime and he likely gets 2-3 Vezina's and 1-3 cups. You don't buy out the best goalie of his generation when he's not even half way through his deal. It's silly. 

(other than the bolded I'm %100 serious... semi serious about the bolded as well. He was discriminated against for playing for Vancouver)

Just now, apollo said:

The guy has done nothing but throw money at the franchise to help us succeed. I don't think he's a cheap owner at all. The guy inherited such a massive empire that 50 million means very little to him. I think at the time the buy out would have cost 10-20 mill at most. 

You don't buy out the greatest goalie in franchise history and at the time the most dominant goalie in the NHL for the past 10 years (at the time of compliance buyouts being introduced... not 2007-2017) I think it was 2013 it was introduced? Scratch Franchise history and greatest goalie... arguably the greatest athlete to ever step foot in Canada. :goat::goat::goat::goat:

You realize Hossa signed the exact same deal but 1 million less and Chicago isn't going to pay a penny of recapture right? 

Put Luongo on any team other than Vancouver during his prime and he likely gets 2-3 Vezina's and 1-3 cups. You don't buy out the best goalie of his generation when he's not even half way through his deal. It's silly. 

Where in my post did I say that he was a cheap owner?  I said in this one instance he was too cheap to buy him out of his contract to ensure that it couldn't come back to bite the team in the butt big time.

I wouldn't say he wins Vezinas and Cups with any team those years, but had he been on a habitually contending team like Detroit once was, he would have definitely won more hardware.

You sure as he*l do buy out a great player on a ridiculously long contract.  Markstrom and Matthias were hardly a great return for Luongo.  MG and Aquilini dumped Luongo on Florida for a weak return in order to rid the team of the majority of his salary because Aquilini was still trying to compete while the team was riding the top of the cap.

What happened with Hossa and Chicago could have been fought by Aquilini and his NHL partners, but they allowed Bettman to play favourites.  That makes all of the rest of the NHL owners, including Aquilini, complicit in their silence and inaction.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I still think Gillis is to blame on the lack of a buyout.  Even if Aquaman didn't want to do the buyout, ultimately Gillis signed the dotted line on an unmitigated disaster of a trade.  No GM with any brain cells would have entertained any option other than a Lu buyout.  A hockey man with integrity who valued his reputation would have flat out insisted on a buyout. 

Ultimately, Gillis didn't have the balls to stand up for the long-term health of the franchise and crippled our cap flexibility so he could continue to run the team into the ground for another season.  Whether he was too cowardly or too stupid to do the right thing is up to interpretation, but there's a reason he hasn't landed another NHL gig.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

LOL! 

Ugh.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I still think Gillis is to blame on the lack of a buyout.  Even if Aquaman didn't want to do the buyout, ultimately Gillis signed the dotted line on an unmitigated disaster of a trade.  No GM with any brain cells would have entertained any option other than a Lu buyout.  A hockey man with integrity who valued his reputation would have flat out insisted on a buyout. 

Ultimately, Gillis didn't have the balls to stand up for the long-term health of the franchise and crippled our cap flexibility so he could continue to run the team into the ground for another season.  Whether he was too cowardly or too stupid to do the right thing is up to interpretation, but there's a reason he hasn't landed another NHL gig.

I don't disagree with most of what you say, MG scr*wed the team hard with that whole situation, but Aquilini should have known better as well.

It's the same with the Sabres.  I stopped giving Pegula free passes after the second tanking season, which was his fourth as an owner.  His mistakes and those of his recent former coach and GM since then, are his to own even though he tried to wiggle out of responsibility for them a couple months ago.

Pegula stunted the beginning of the rebuild but is now pulling out of it with a great hire in Botterill and Housley.  Aquilini's action, or lack thereof, involving Luongo will slow the rebuild if Lu retires soon.  Unfortunately with his off-season surgery, that eventuality could come soon.

Archived