The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Kerfoot to sign with Colorado Avalanche

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The rules are the rules and Aquilini has 30 equal partners that had to follow the same ones.  He's not an employee of the NHL so any legal options are severely limited.

He was just too cheap to use one of his two free buyouts on Luongo.  That's neither the NHL's nor his 30 other partner's fault.  Aquilini preferred to kick the can down the road, and with Luongo's hip problems seriously creeping up on him this past off-season, it's just about time to pay the piper and there's no one else to blame but ownership and MG.

If New Jersey kinda got out of the Kovalchuk penalty the Canucks shouldn't face the penalty for Luongo. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

If New Jersey kinda got out of the Kovalchuk penalty the Canucks shouldn't face the penalty for Luongo. 

Unless the Canucks can come up with a mitigating circumstance, that has nothing to do with what other teams have managed to sneak by the NHL front office, as to why they shouldn't see the full amount of salary recapture, they are going to end up with some cap problems after Luongo is done.  Trevor and JB need to think of something feasible.

Hey you never know how this plays out a couple years from now. Maybe he comes home when he's UFA in 5 or so years and is at the top of his game and we are contending for a top seed in the west. I bet his father had some good advice for him and told him to go get yourself acclimated to the league and do it away from home cause it will be easier than being under the microscope day in and day out. 

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The rules are the rules and Aquilini has 30 equal partners that had to follow the same ones.  He's not an employee of the NHL so any legal options are severely limited.

He was just too cheap to use one of his two free buyouts on Luongo.  That's neither the NHL's nor his 30 other partner's fault.  Aquilini preferred to kick the can down the road, and with Luongo's hip problems seriously creeping up on him this past off-season, it's just about time to pay the piper and there's no one else to blame but ownership and MG.

if it is a hip injury then it will be an LTIR situation and we're off the hook. Not that I'm hoping for that, I'd love to see Lu be able to actually play the thing out, sort of like a Jagr of goalies. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

if it is a hip injury then it will be an LTIR situation and we're off the hook. Not that I'm hoping for that, I'd love to see Lu be able to actually play the thing out, sort of like a Jagr of goalies. 

He's ok now, but nobody knows how well he's going to play this season because of it.  He was technically the starter last season but didn't even play half of the games if I remember correctly.

If he continues to decline, he'll end up retiring well before the contract is over in 2021-22.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

He's ok now, but nobody knows how well he's going to play this season because of it.  He was technically the starter last season but didn't even play half of the games if I remember correctly.

If he continues to decline, he'll end up retiring well before the contract is over in 2021-22.

but why would he if its a bum hip thats causing the problem? He'd be giving a away money for no reason. Plus we can always trade for him and let him ride it out at home, sure he'd take one spot on the 50 man roster but so what? 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

but why would he if its a bum hip thats causing the problem? He'd be giving a away money for no reason. Plus we can always trade for him and let him ride it out at home, sure he'd take one spot on the 50 man roster but so what? 

I don't have a direct line to Lu.. lol   I just know that bad hip(s) are a terrible thing for goalies.  When one or both develop problems, it often turns out even worse than bad groin(s).

If he does lose a step and he isn't wanted in Florida after next season, I would love to see him back in a Canucks uniform mentoring Demko as a back-up for a season or two.

He's going where he feels his best opportunity to make the NHL is, that being said I'm surprised he didn't sign with the Rangers. He'd get an opportunity there too.

Never thought he'd actually sign with us, our top three c's are pretty much set and if he's gonna get a second NHL contract he's gonna have to show something at the NHL level pretty quick. He's fast approaching his prime years.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This makes sense for the kid as he will likely get a chance to play right away versus waiting in minors in Vancouver or even New York.   The problem he will have is whether he is surrounded by much of anything to help his development.   I also worry that he was a one season wonder and came out of no where in rankings - think long-term Vancouver will be happier with Gaudette but who really knows.

oh cmon, you can't compare Vancouver to New York.  We were the 2nd world team in the NHL.  If anything we are in the same boat as Denver.

that said, I am glad Benning did not cave in.

our top three c's are pretty much set and if he's gonna get a second NHL contract he's gonna have to show

Sven Andrighetto (16 pionts in 19 games)

Nathan MacKinnon

Matt Duchene

Tyson Jost  among centremans he is competing for a spot for.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Unless the Canucks can come up with a mitigating circumstance, that has nothing to do with what other teams have managed to sneak by the NHL front office, as to why they shouldn't see the full amount of salary recapture, they are going to end up with some cap problems after Luongo is done.  Trevor and JB need to think of something feasible.

Like an 'equipment allergy' ala Hossa? 

The way it's structured, I think the league has to give us some relief. All of the other contracts viewed as circumventing the cap got some sort of relief. Hell even Mike Richards saved the Kings some money with a coke habit. They'd sooner reward that kind of behaviour?

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Like an 'equipment allergy' ala Hossa? 

The way it's structured, I think the league has to give us some relief. All of the other contracts viewed as circumventing the cap got some sort of relief. Hell even Mike Richards saved the Kings some money with a coke habit. They'd sooner reward that kind of behaviour?

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

If it was up to me, all remaining contracts would be forgiven by 2020, but unfortunately if only one team gets stuck with millions of dead money on their cap, I think we all know which team that will be.

45 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I don't have a direct line to Lu.. lol   I just know that bad hip(s) are a terrible thing for goalies.  When one or both develop problems, it often turns out even worse than bad groin(s).

If he does lose a step and he isn't wanted in Florida after next season, I would love to see him back in a Canucks uniform mentoring Demko as a back-up for a season or two.

maybe we can bring him back as a "player-coach" :P  i think this will work out one way or the other, if we have some luck next draft Benning may just go over the cap and take a loss of picks, maybe he sues, who knows? Hossa's situation will be an interesting benchmark. If they let CHI off the hook for a chronic condition that would be hard to hold against Lu, but it its us and it is Bettman.... 

12 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

maybe we can bring him back as a "player-coach" :P  i think this will work out one way or the other, if we have some luck next draft Benning may just go over the cap and take a loss of picks, maybe he sues, who knows? Hossa's situation will be an interesting benchmark. If they let CHI off the hook for a chronic condition that would be hard to hold against Lu, but it its us and it is Bettman.... 

I've already mentioned in other posts why it wouldn't work if they tried to sue.  Also, the other teams that got relief were top television market teams.  It's no surprise that they would get those kind of breaks.  The Canucks don't have that luxury to play off of.  I would like to see all of the old legacy contracts, active or not, be forgiven by 2020.  Nailing a recovering/rebuilding team like the Canucks with a potential 8.5 million dollar cap penalty a few years from now would be outrageous and could potentially dismantle the team just as it's starting to get good in the playoffs.

16 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Where in my post did I say that he was a cheap owner?  I said in this one instance he was too cheap to buy him out of his contract to ensure that it couldn't come back to bite the team in the butt big time.

I wouldn't say he wins Vezinas and Cups with any team those years, but had he been on a habitually contending team like Detroit once was, he would have definitely won more hardware.

You sure as he*l do buy out a great player on a ridiculously long contract.  Markstrom and Matthias were hardly a great return for Luongo.  MG and Aquilini dumped Luongo on Florida for a weak return in order to rid the team of the majority of his salary because Aquilini was still trying to compete while the team was riding the top of the cap.

What happened with Hossa and Chicago could have been fought by Aquilini and his NHL partners, but they allowed Bettman to play favourites.  That makes all of the rest of the NHL owners, including Aquilini, complicit in their silence and inaction.

Again, Hossa is %100 comparable with almost identical contracts. When push comes to shove, Luongo will develop some issue that he can no longer play like Hossa. 

What the NHL did was %100 illegal 

And back to buying him out... compliance buy outs were introduced in 2013. 

Luongo was by far, by faaaaaaaaaar the most dominant goalie in the NHL from 2000 to 2012... north of a decade. In 2013 he only played 20 games... 

You're telling me you buy out the face of a franchise, the greatest and most consistent goalie in the league north of a decade? 

Aquaman's wallet wouldn't have even took a dent if they bought him out. If my math is right, it would have cost only 13.32 million to buy him out.

Why didn't Chicago buy out Hossa?  

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Again, Hossa is %100 comparable with almost identical contracts. When push comes to shove, Luongo will develop some issue that he can no longer play like Hossa. 

What the NHL did was %100 illegal 

And back to buying him out... compliance buy outs were introduced in 2013. 

Luongo was by far, by faaaaaaaaaar the most dominant goalie in the NHL from 2000 to 2012... north of a decade. In 2013 he only played 20 games... 

You're telling me you buy out the face of a franchise, the greatest and most consistent goalie in the league north of a decade? 

Aquaman's wallet wouldn't have even took a dent if they bought him out. If my math is right, it would have cost only 13.32 million to buy him out.

Why didn't Chicago buy out Hossa?  

Time will tell what happens with the recapture penalty.  I've said in 2 other posts that I think it would be fair if the NHL were to void the recapture rule starting in 2020.  It has served it's purpose and there's no reason that a team like the Canucks should face an 8.5 million dollar hit that could dismantle a newly rebuilt playoff team in 3 years.

I'm definitely saying that Aquilini should have bought out Luongo before trading him for a pathetic return.  The Canucks were losing him one way or the other.  May as well get a contract completely off of your books with a buyout.

Chicago didn't buy out Hossa most likely because Wirtz most likely knew that they knew they were going to get their way when push came to shove, and they were right. 

I don't see the same thing happening at all for the Canucks unless Trevor and JB can come up with a mitigating circumstance.  Maybe Luongo's hip problems will be taken into consideration, but I'm not counting on it.

33 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Time will tell what happens with the recapture penalty.  I've said in 2 other posts that I think it would be fair if the NHL were to void the recapture rule starting in 2020.  It has served it's purpose and there's no reason that a team like the Canucks should face an 8.5 million dollar hit that could dismantle a newly rebuilt playoff team in 3 years.

I'm definitely saying that Aquilini should have bought out Luongo before trading him for a pathetic return.  The Canucks were losing him one way or the other.  May as well get a contract completely off of your books with a buyout.

Chicago didn't buy out Hossa most likely because Wirtz most likely knew that they knew they were going to get their way when push came to shove, and they were right. 

I don't see the same thing happening at all for the Canucks unless Trevor and JB can come up with a mitigating circumstance.  Maybe Luongo's hip problems will be taken into consideration, but I'm not counting on it.

Who knows how good Markstrom could turn out to be... he certainly won't be the best goalie in the NHL for a 12 year period but if he becomes something, at least the return wasn't that bad. 

Chicago (Hossa deal) and LA (Richards deal) are both teams in bed with the old boys club. Vancouver isn't... but lawyers can bring up the Hossa / Richards situations IMO. 

Didn't read the first 3 pages, just jumped straight to patent 4.

Not surprised at all that a topic about a college forward signing in Colorado turned into Roberto Luongo and his cap recapture.

Only on CDC.

Just now, apollo said:

Who knows how good Markstrom could turn out to be... he certainly won't be the best goalie in the NHL for a 12 year period but if he becomes something, at least the return wasn't that bad. 

Chicago (Hossa deal) and LA (Richards deal) are both teams in bed with the old boys club. Vancouver isn't... but lawyers can bring up the Hossa / Richards situations IMO. 

Markstrom isn't going to be the second coming of Hasek and having an $8.5 million penalty over the club's head is not worth it.  The Canucks wanted to dump a bad contract and kicked the can down the road and the time to pay the price is coming soon.

A lawsuit would take quite a while to wind it's way through the court system.  The US court system is very cumbersome.  Ultimately teams were given 2 opportunities to fix their contract situations and the Canucks didn't use either chance to gain relief from Luongo's contract. 

If Luongo retires before the contract is over, and the front office has no mitigating circumstance to present, the Canucks have to hope that the NHL takes pity on them.  The courts in NY aren't going to bend over backwards to help a professional sports franchise.

Archived