The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Hurricane?

-Vintage Canuck-

Check out www.windy.com to follow the storm, or to check and see how not windy it is in BC right now. Really neat format, info at one click. Here's Irma right now as it heads to St. Johns: 

https://www.windy.com/?16.568,-59.815,8 

I signed up for a free account to access the setting menu. Can change the units of measurement, and fiddle around with how graphic to make the storm appear. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Check out www.windy.com to follow the storm, or to check and see how not windy it is in BC right now. Really neat format, info at one click. Here's Irma right now as it heads to St. Johns: 

https://www.windy.com/?16.568,-59.815,8 

I signed up for a free account to access the setting menu. Can change the units of measurement, and fiddle around with how graphic to make the storm appear. 

That's cool. Thanks for posting. :)

Early pictures from Barbuda. In a live interview Prime Minister Gaston Browne says his journey to Barbuda was heart wrenching, and the damage unprecedented. %90 of the homes have been damaged, from roofs or walls lost to complete destruction, and much of the island is now covered in shallow water. Much of the island is uninhabitable, and supply boats won't be able to get there until tomorrow due to choppy seas.

DJErX0BUQAAZ-qr.jpg

DJErX0IUQAAW4oV.jpg

2 hours ago, souprshooter said:

LOTS of people are starting to fly out or drive north, me being one of them! Lol no way I try to ride this thing out over here. 

That's the right choice, hopefully you already have a full tank of gas and a couple of topped up jerry cans.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1505370289562190&id=558698930896002  

I'm not to good at embedding videos, and I don't know how long this will be up for, but it's the same feed as the PM's interview, only now it an open mic being passed around to the people in Barbuda. 

edit: looks like this is a 37 minute video, and is no longer live.

Edited by Green Building

22 hours ago, souprshooter said:

Is anyone else here in South Florida? I live over here in Broward County... people are going nuts at gas stations and super markets.

Hey Im in your neck of the woods right now, I'm up in Fort Lauderdale helping my Aunt prep her house before she heads to her in laws place farther inland. My wife and kids are heading to my parents place in Seattle as a precaution just in case Irma changes up and hits the key's. I'm glad I brought extra gas and plenty of supplies with me as I would rather not have to brave the lines at the local stores right now.

6 hours ago, souprshooter said:

LOTS of people are starting to fly out or drive north, me being one of them! Lol no way I try to ride this thing out over here. 

Good call

Edited by Dr.Strangelove

1 hour ago, Dr.Strangelove said:

Hey Im in your neck of the woods right now, I'm up in Fort Lauderdale helping my Aunt prep her house before she heads to her in laws place farther inland. My wife and kids are heading to my parents place in Seattle as a precaution just in case Irma changes up and hits the key's. I'm glad I brought extra gas and plenty of supplies with me as I would rather not have to brave the lines at the local stores right now.

Good call

Yeah I'm headed out to Atlanta tomorrow... Supposedly there was a

mandatory evac for all the keys. And yeah it's nice having supplies, lines at costco, publix, gas stations, hell everywhere are absurd. Good luck with everything! It's going to suck dealing with floodings and repairs in the aftermath!!

59 minutes ago, souprshooter said:

Yeah I'm headed out to Atlanta tomorrow... Supposedly there was a

mandatory evac for all the keys. And yeah it's nice having supplies, lines at costco, publix, gas stations, hell everywhere are absurd. Good luck with everything! It's going to suck dealing with floodings and repairs in the aftermath!!

That is correct it was supposed to go into effect at noon Wed, I was informed yesterday that I was to report to Mayport instead as NAS Key West is being evaced of all non essential personal which doesn't bode well. I'm not surprised by the evac order as most of my neighbors where already on their way out when I left to go help my Aunt out but for the base to evacuate that kinda caught me off guard.

Really hoping that everyone who can get out of the likely impact areas evacuate sooner rather than later as there is little to be gained by staying behind in a cat5.

I'm not looking forward to the clean up but luckily I sent all my irreplaceable belongings to Seattle with my family so let the water do what it must I'll rebuild and most importantly my family is safe, besides I could use an excuse to put a bar in my attic.

Edited by Dr.Strangelove

16 hours ago, Dr.Strangelove said:

That is correct it was supposed to go into effect at noon Wed, I was informed yesterday that I was to report to Mayport instead as NAS Key West is being evaced of all non essential personal which doesn't bode well. I'm not surprised by the evac order as most of my neighbors where already on their way out when I left to go help my Aunt out but for the base to evacuate that kinda caught me off guard.

Really hoping that everyone who can get out of the likely impact areas evacuate sooner rather than later as there is little to be gained by staying behind in a cat5.

I'm not looking forward to the clean up but luckily I sent all my irreplaceable belongings to Seattle with my family so let the water do what it must I'll rebuild and most importantly my family is safe, besides I could use an excuse to put a bar in my attic.

Always comforting to be prepared.  Good job, and good luck.

7 hours ago, Kragar said:

Always comforting to be prepared.  Good job, and good luck.

Thanks.

Also just found out I'm being seconded to CGAS Miami  to help with preparation and potentially any  rescue efforts that need to be undertaken (as I'm sure there will be should Irma make a direct hit on the panhandle). It sounds as though Irma is less than 48 hours out, I'll keep posting updates on the situation until it hits.

• Upvote 2

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/09/hurricane-irma-is-literally-sucking-the-water-away-from-shorelines/

Nature is amazing. What a colossal storm. It's brutal for the people caught up in it obviously and my thoughts go out to them, but mind blowing at the same time.