The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Hurricane?

-Vintage Canuck-

Last post for a few days at least. Sounds like power is out across the keys and a friend of mine that's staying behind and lives a few houses down just texted me that the wind has already knocked down my fence so its already getting bad there. Currently I'm with several of the Coast Guard rescue crews that I've been attached to for the last few days in a shelter waiting until this passes or at least diminishes to the point that we can begin rescue operations.

This is going to be a rough few days for  everyone down here but I'm hopeful that with proper preparation injuries will be minimized. To everyone else in the areas that are about to get hit good luck and stay safe

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, souprshooter said:

I made it all the way to Mississipi guys haha. Guess this was a good excuse to get to know these states! Crazy how all hotels/motels are fully booked everywhere in Georgia and even Alabama is packed. Tons of Floridians out here!

Good eating in New Orleans if you're adventurous.

22 hours ago, kurtis said:

Was it worth it too move everyone out ????? There are groups of people going around and looting stores... 

If these people were looting for food and water, it would be understandable. But when I'm seeing these guys steal a pair of Adidas shoes, a big screen TV, then there is a big problem.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

It's $&!#ty people in general. There was looting in some of the Caribbean islands as well. Opportunistic dinks aren't limited to living in the US.

While I do agree its pretty sad that a first world country like the U.S has this happen on major scales during the worst possible times. 

For those of you that don't know I'm an officer in the USN based out of NAS Key West , I work as a liaison of sorts with the Coast Guard dealing primarily with judicial matters but also when the need arises disaster response which in this case was primarily coordinating my wings missions. So for me its been an interesting week , I rode out Irma with some great guys and luckily the base I reported too  wasn't too hard hit and we where able to begin rescue efforts immediately. My house is mostly fine minus most of the roof and my garage but that's what insurance is for. My neighbor's are all safe  and their houses still stand but my office on  base was destroyed:(. Also my Aunts house flooded but again insurance is great so not a major concern

Key West took a tough blow and it's still recovering and will be for some time I'm just very thankful that the fatalities weren't higher

@souprshooter hopefully your place came through ok?

On 9/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, kurtis said:

Was it worth it too move everyone out ????? There are groups of people going around and looting stores... 

Yes unequivocally yes we got lucky incredibly lucky that Irma died down a bit before hitting the Keys and then the panhandle otherwise it would have been catastrophic.

Edited by Dr.Strangelove
  • Upvote 2

On 9/16/2017 at 9:44 PM, Dr.Strangelove said:

For those of you that don't know I'm an officer in the USN based out of NAS Key West , I work as a liaison of sorts with the Coast Guard dealing primarily with judicial matters but also when the need arises disaster response which in this case was primarily coordinating my wings missions. So for me its been an interesting week , I rode out Irma with some great guys and luckily the base I reported too  wasn't too hard hit and we where able to begin rescue efforts immediately. My house is mostly fine minus most of the roof and my garage but that's what insurance is for. My neighbor's are all safe  and their houses still stand but my office on  base was destroyed:(. Also my Aunts house flooded but again insurance is great so not a major concern

Key West took a tough blow and it's still recovering and will be for some time I'm just very thankful that the fatalities weren't higher

@souprshooter hopefully your place came through ok?

Yes unequivocally yes we got lucky incredibly lucky that Irma died down a bit before hitting the Keys and then the panhandle otherwise it would have been catastrophic.

Yeah, got back recently everything turned out ok! 

• Upvote 1

Welp, Hurricane Maria just became the second Atlantic hurricane to make landfall at Category 5 intensity this year (pray for Dominica). Only the second time in recorded history that has happened.

It's also projected to make landfall directly over Puerto Rico.

Edited by Brad Marchand

5 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Welp, Hurricane Maria just became the second Atlantic hurricane to make landfall at Category 5 intensity this year (pray for Dominica). Only the second time in recorded history that has happened.

It's also projected to make landfall directly over Puerto Rico.

I'm morbidly impressed by how quickly it went from tropical to Cat 5. Even though growth was forecast it's pretty nuts. It got me thinking about a guy I used to work with from Guadeloupe as his family still lives/lived there. He told me stories about how he and his friends would beat the heat down there by climbing mango trees, eating mango, and hanging out in the shade for hours when they were kids. That always seemed like a pretty sweet childhood, if you could add hockey to it. The Caribbean sure hasn't caught many breaks lately.