The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Penguins in trade talks for 3rd-line center

18 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Lets just retain salary and trade him for a 1st rd in 2018. 

Leaves us Ericsson to trade from the 2. But this does leave us having a huge hole in our line up and virtually a poor checking line

We can't  retain salary until next season though.  Currently retaining on Luongo and Hansen.

Sutter gets moved 2019 Off-season or 2020 TDL - his NTC gets scaled back to 15 teams he won't go to as well.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, & Rutherford's pretty shrewd. He'll prob try a freebie to bridge 'til the new yr. Then go all-in near TDL, as the Pens try to three-peat.

Can Aston-Reese play C? maybe a combo of him and a 1 year veteran can tag team the 3C spot. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Can Aston-Reese play C? maybe a combo of him and a 1 year veteran can tag team the 3C spot. 

They'll prob put that kid with Cros or Malk to get him flying. Funny when you think back to the early 80's, & how close that place was to moving vans.

Has landing ONE player ever done so much for one franchise?

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Gaunce and a 2nd for their first? lol

Yes I know they'd never give up a 1st for a 3C

Especially since Gaunce isn't a 3C. At least not yet. He hasn't even proven himself as a 4C. 

35 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

We can't  retain salary until next season though.  Currently retaining on Luongo and Hansen.

Sutter gets moved 2019 Off-season or 2020 TDL - his NTC gets scaled back to 15 teams he won't go to as well.

Teams can retain on 3 players.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Lets just retain salary and trade him for a 1st rd in 2018. 

Leaves us Ericsson to trade from the 2. But this does leave us having a huge hole in our line up and virtually a poor checking line

Nah, Pens 1st will likely be in the mid-late 20's. Not worth it if we have to retain salary. Now if we could maybe get one of their prospects and a pick, I'd consider it.

It also doesn't make sense to move Sutter right now... I'd rather wait to see how Gaunce progresses and how Gaudette looks - I think he pulls a Boeser and he's with the club by the end of this season.  

I'd rather keep Bo focused on offence and younger players away from the hard matchups until they're ready.

Just now, Alflives said:

He's cheap, young, and has proven to shutdown McDavid.  Maybe he just needs a chance?

He has yet to play a single NHL game, so I'm not sure why the Penguins would to take the risk to see him as their third line centerman. Sure he was impressive shutting down McDavid, but that's a small sample size that happened in a development league over two years ago.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He has yet to play a single NHL game, so I'm not sure why the Penguins would to take the risk to see him as their third line centerman. Sure he was impressive shutting down McDavid, but that's a small sample size that happened in a development league over two years ago.

He's kind of stalled in our system, so why not get a second for him?  (Although I do understand that the Penguins would rather a much more experienced player.)

Penguins will be searching for an underpaid player. Of all the C's making between $1.5-2.5 million last year, Bonino had the most points. 4th on that list was Calle Jarnkrok, who could be a trade target (but probably less likely since Fisher retired).

9th on that list is the currently unsigned Daniel Winnik. He'd be cheap, and free.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He's kind of stalled in our system, so why not get a second for him?  (Although I do understand that the Penguins would rather a much more experienced player.)

Exactly. The Penguins are in win-mode (take a run at more cups) right now. Crosby and Malkin aren't getting younger and are in their 30's. Their recent PTO, Jay McClement, would be a much better option than Cassels. He could possibly replace Matt Cullen, who was a big contributor to their success.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because no one is offering a 2nd for him?

...Or a 3rd...

In fact, with 0.14 points-per-game so far in the AHL, and a -22, I suspect no one is offering anything for him.

Archived