The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thomas Vanek | #26 | RW

-SN-

Motley Crüe of filler.

What's one more?!

I'm neither impressed nor disappointed. Vanek is another paycheck player. Another predictable filler piece. Keep up the safe work of boring the fans, Orca. 

Each time this management group announces another roster move, I feel like I do when I'm out at the lake in the water, feeling for the bottom with my curious toes,  I'm never quite sure where rock-bottom is with this team.

I'd rather watch Pedan at forward than this guy, during a full on rebuild. Could this team get anymore stale and predictable? Add some heart or grit and snarl if you're going into a lopsided battle, ffs. What is this team now? Who are they? 

This team continues to evade its identity-finding quest at every turn. This, is truely the Linden era legacy, IMO; country club member UFAs and AHL worker bees, but zero entertainment value. Zero underdog culture. Winning enviro, my ace. 

Decent contract, and easy to flip at the deadline.

Vanek is at least proven to provide offense, so on our team that should help out the top six. Although, he's more of a floater on the ice who gets into some good positioning, and not exactly someone who going to create those chances around the net. I think either Henrik, Horvat, or Gagner will do a fine job at feeding Vanek if he plays correctly.

20 hours ago, GrandpaCanuck said:

Well... if virtanen and boeser dont make the team ahead of this guy... at least we know they REALLY arent ready for the show.... but Utica should enjoy having him around! 

Of all the lazy entitled players they could choose... why vanek?

True, but what kind of draft pick will we get for him at the 2018 TDL?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but what kind of draft pick will we get for him at the 2018 TDL?  

Detroit got a 3rd and McIlrath and Holland said that he had been looking for a trade for some time and that was the best offer he got.  At the TDL he was Detroit's leading goal scorer with 15, was tied for the highest P/GP at 0.8 and was 2nd in scoring.

43 minutes ago, mll said:

Detroit got a 3rd and McIlrath and Holland said that he had been looking for a trade for some time and that was the best offer he got.  At the TDL he was Detroit's leading goal scorer with 15, was tied for the highest P/GP at 0.8 and was 2nd in scoring.

Really hard to compare year-on-year TDL deals as needs change so dramatically and how tight races are can influence impulse buying etc.   Point is, if he doesn't play well the point is moot anyway and Canucks can simply waive him but if he does do well, anywhere close to his career average, then he will have some market.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

When I saw him wind up last night I honestly didn't expect it to go in.

Overall, I've liked what I've seen from Vanek.  He's a smart player and actually plays with more grit than I realized.

Agreed! I think by the time it's over he'll be viewed as a good signing. He plays a heavier game than some people realize.

19 hours ago, aliboy said:

Agreed! I think by the time it's over he'll be viewed as a good signing. He plays a heavier game than some people realize.

I think you are bang on with the "Heavier" observation. The slapper goal was a nice highlight but his driving the net will likely be a bigger part. 

Vanek seems frustrated last night being on the spare parts/ new guys line with Gagner and Burmistrov.

No chemistry whatsoever with that group.

Probably jealous of Virtanen taking his plum spot with the Sedins...

Gotta burn him playing 3 of his former teams BUF,DET,MIN, in a row and not in position to make an impact thanks to deployment.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Vanek seems frustrated last night being on the spare parts/ new guys line with Gagner and Burmistrov.

No chemistry whatsoever with that group.

Probably jealous of Virtanen taking his plum spot with the Sedins...

Gotta burn him playing 3 of his former teams BUF,DET,MIN, in a row and not in position to make an impact thanks to deployment.

yeah. but he hasn't exactly played well either. he had a chance tonight to score but instead opted to pass. he should be shot. reeks of a player who isn't exactly confident with his own game right now. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Been just as advertised so far - 10 games in, 30ish goal pace and polarizing amongst the fan base.

Yeah kinda polarizing, but when Virtanen is polarizing he gets two different threads each with hundreds of pages of arguing...Vanek hasn't even hit page 2 yet!

Archived