The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

Boeser - it's close, but I think he will start in Utica

Gaunce - I think he will make the team, as a fourth line left winger

Goldobin - with Vanek signing, he has also moved down the depth chart - probably is best for him to start in Utica

Rodin - a lot of uncertainty with him, but I think he will be our 13th/14th forward

Burmistrov - I see him as our fourth line center

Dorsett - if healthy, he is our fourth line right winger

Virtanen - he needs at least another year in the AHL

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Baert- Horvat- Boeser

Sedin- Sedin- Granlund

Eriksson- Gagne- Vanek

Gaunce- Sutter- Dorsett

Burmistrov, Rodin

Boeser better make it....

Mine is similar to yours but this year I see it like this..

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baer Bo Brock

Eriksson Gagne Vanek

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Burmistrov Rodin 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Mine is similar to yours but this year I see it like this..

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baer Bo Brock

Eriksson Gagne Vanek

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Burmistrov Rodin 

Look closely. Yours is EXACTLY the same as mine xD You just switched the top two lines :P

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I see a trade coming. Baertschi and Hutton to Carolina for one of they're promising defensemen. Jake Bean?

Sedins-Granlund

Baer/Goldy-Bo-Vanek

Eriksson-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Gagner 

That is intriguing. (the trade idea) but is Jake Bean worth Hutton and Baer? They're both young and skilled, already proven NHLers.

My guess with the prospects/players:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vanek

Baertschi - Horvat - Gagner

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Dorsett

White

Utica: Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Rodin*, Molino, Boucher, Chaput, Megna, Labate

* or could be traded

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

Baertschi -  Bo -  Boeser/ Vanek

Sedins - Vanek/ Boeser/ Loui/ Granlund/ Goldobin

Loui - Sutter- Granlund/ Gaunce

_______  - Gagner- _______

Fill in the blanks with Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen and Rodin.

Now as the top 2 lines get injured Virtanen and Rodin should have dips for the spots.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I see a trade coming. Baertschi and Hutton to Carolina for one of they're promising defensemen. Jake Bean?

Sedins-Granlund

Baer/Goldy-Bo-Vanek

Eriksson-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Gagner 

Not a bad idea. These teams don't have many bodies signed yet:

NJ : 16

FLO : 18

COL: same

Don't mind a 2 or 3 for 1, if it's the right piece coming back.

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I say to heck with the traditional '4th line grinder' mentality.  Let guys who can play the game fill the fourth line, it's not going to kill the a young guy or two to play NHL minutes in a limited role.  

I'm not sure when this notion that youngsters playing 4th line minutes was bad for their development first started but I don't believe that should be a general rule. It used to be very common for young rookies to start out playing on the 4th line and perhaps getting some special teams play. I remember Yvan Cournoyer playing limited 4th line time and PP time in his 1st two seasons with the Canadiens and it certainly didn't hurt his career.

Each player needs to be evaluated as to where they are in terms of their development and whether they will benefit more from being in the NHL environment or being sent to the AHL to further hone their skills. 

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Chaput and Megna stay with the Canucks.

Boeser, Virtanen, Dahlen, Goldobin and Rodin down to Utica.

This team needs to have players capable of playing top 6 minutes on the roster.  In the few years there have been too many players forced in to a top 6 role that they simply cannot fulfill and this must crust morale.  Vanek can still play 2nd line minutes so that you don't need to force Chaput up the line-up.  Let this crop of prospects spend a full season of hockey in Utica and watch them build chemistry and hopefully dominate their division.  Then, in 12 months time, bring up 3 or 4 and see how they do.  There is not a single prospect in this organization that has been over-seasoned in the AHL and boy, the Comets could have a kickass team this season. 

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

There is not a single prospect in this organization that has been over-seasoned in the AHL and boy, the Comets could have a kickass team this season. 

But there was a time where we did, with Jensen being right at the top of the list of notables, and not allowing him the opportunity to crack the lineup ruined him.

If a kid is ready, play him.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But there was a time where we did, with Jensen being right at the top of the list of notables, and not allowing him the opportunity to crack the lineup ruined him.

If a kid is ready, play him.

Benning already said if a kid is ready and earns a spot, he will make the needed moves to create that spot.  My guess is, JB doesn't think any of our kids (at forward) are truly ready, or he wouldn't have signed so many UFAs.

Just now, Alflives said:

My guess is, JB doesn't think any of our kids (at forward) are truly ready, or he wouldn't have signed so many UFAs.

Not that I agree, but if that truly is the case, it's kind of depressing. 

Speaking only as a selfish fan, Boeser was going to be one of the main reasons I tuned in this season. If he doesn't crack the lineup because of this, I really don't have much reason to watch games or follow the team this year. 

Forgive me for being immensely disappointed that I likely won't get to see our top prospect and potential Calder candidate play a full season because of this signing.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not that I agree, but if that truly is the case, it's kind of depressing. 

Speaking only as a selfish fan, Boeser was going to be one of the main reasons I tuned in this season. If he doesn't crack the lineup because of this, I really don't have much reason to watch games or follow the team this year. 

Forgive me for being immensely disappointed that I likely won't get to see our top prospect and potential Calder candidate play a full season because of this signing.

For me it was Tryamkin I looked forward to watching.  Boeser is a ticket seller.  I would love to see him with the Twins.  I hope Boeser, Virtanen, and Goldobin come out flying, and force their way into the lineup.  My worry is that Stecher did that last season, and still got sent down so Larsen could get that spot.  If a young guy earns a spot, I want him to get on the team, and an older guy put on waivers.  No more holding spots for underperforming vets.  

Archived