The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not that I agree, but if that truly is the case, it's kind of depressing. 

Speaking only as a selfish fan, Boeser was going to be one of the main reasons I tuned in this season. If he doesn't crack the lineup because of this, I really don't have much reason to watch games or follow the team this year. 

Forgive me for being immensely disappointed that I likely won't get to see our top prospect and potential Calder candidate play a full season because of this signing.

I'm kind of disappointed with his signing as well but I think it is probably because I have never been a fan of Vanek.

I would like to see Boeser on the team this year and believe he will still make the team but perhaps in a bit of diminished role from what I had hoped. I am okay with him being sent to Utica if his performance at camp and pre-season games warrants his demotion BUT I would not be okay with it being a predetermined move even before camp starts.

Play the kids and get rid of the vets.   Sign vets to short term deals and flip them at the deadline for more kids.....  It seems no matter what you do, everyone is angry.  I personally kind of like what we're doing, and the kids are going to have to blow the doors off to get into the line up.   Let them marinate in the minors, gel together, avoid the tire fire that is the main club.  Petterson will get here in a couple of years, and the whole team will suddenly look amazing.

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

Baer-Bo-Granlund

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek

Loui-Sutter-Gagner

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Boeser, Goldobin

Jake and the rest in Utica. No way Chappy and Lord Megna start in Vancouver unless they have unreal camps. J'adore le Chap Man but I don't see it happening. Rodin needs some time to get his game back. Jake I think will show improvement but will just get squeezed out.

6 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Play the kids and get rid of the vets.   Sign vets to short term deals and flip them at the deadline for more kids.....  It seems no matter what you do, everyone is angry.  I personally kind of like what we're doing, and the kids are going to have to blow the doors off to get into the line up.   Let them marinate in the minors, gel together, avoid the tire fire that is the main club.  Petterson will get here in a couple of years, and the whole team will suddenly look amazing.

fair enough, but this will not put fans in the seats.  As well people need to realize that yes the AHL can be a place to develop, BUT being good in the AHL doesn't mean you will be a good NHLer.  The NHL game is different than the AHL.   We got the Sedins, Eric, Sutter, Dorsett, Gagner as vet guys providing leadership we don't need anymore.  Bo, Gran and Sven know what is expected as well.   Guys like Boeser should be getting time to play and learn.  Yeah you can flip Vanek but kids just mentioned dont get to play.    With our Vets we are not going 'full oiler' but people want the kids to play. I dont want to watch Vanek with the Sedins.  I wanted to see Goldy and Boeser.  The way things look we wont have any new kids on O - that is not a youth movement.   Seems like in the back of the managements head they still think we are a playoff team - this seems something done for the Sedins.

They need to play the kids...last two years, they've played the vets more than the kids...and it got them 2nd and 3rd to last place...shortening the bench in the third only to blow the lead by playing the vets and benching the kids....wasn't anyone paying attention?

I think that the management group wants our kids with 1st line potential to have time.  

Baertschi Horvat Vanek

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Loui Sutter Gagner

Gaunce Burmistrov Dorsett

Rodin, White

There are some young guys in there.  There will be many injuries and potential space made at the deadline from trading vets.  These will be the opportunities to give the young guys opportunities to show themselves.  They are also being given time to see who has work ethic and chemistry in Utica.   I think that the order of fill ins will be as follows

Boeser

Goldobin

Virtanen

Boucher

Molino

Megna

Dahlen

I think by next year they hope that Vanek, Dorsett and maybe the Sedins will be off the books.

If the youngsters development is not there yet and they are needed they will re-sign the Sedins at a big discount.

I think that this line-up will actually do better than people think.  I think that the veterans will help Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce and Burmistrov.  I also think that Utica will be a very competitive and fun place to play.  This can only help the franchise going forward.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Mine is similar to yours but this year I see it like this..

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baer Bo Brock

Eriksson Gagne Vanek

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Burmistrov Rodin 

Hmm... It never occurred to me until your post but Sutter as 4th line center kind of makes sense with Gagne being able to play center.

4 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I say to heck with the traditional '4th line grinder' mentality.  Let guys who can play the game fill the fourth line, it's not going to kill the a young guy or two to play NHL minutes in a limited role.  

It's starting to become clear that maybe that is Benning's idea all along..back to the sixties when four lines played meaningful minutes. 

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

I agree, I think management is ultimately doing both. Signing vets who might be solid additions or trade chips at the deadline.

The first 10 games of an NHL season are much easier than the next 40 (as McCann found out) so, I think it makes solid long term sense to have the young guys at least play a couple months in Utica...even Boeser who is probably ready but why skip steps. They will all get a tonne of playing time, a tonne of extra training time, and will get to play with a bunch of talented prospects. It worked fine for Stech last year...and he was 22 years old...most of the current prospects are 20 or 21. Another year won't hurt development.

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

Kinda agree.  This club is  dumpster fire again this year.  Best to keep the talented kids away or at least in minor roles.

There will be alot of anger and blaming again next spring when the vets crash out and the club finishes  27th to 30th.

Hope in 2018  the kids will be ready to step up and make bigger contributions....    Don't see it happening this year.  This is why management keeps loading up on washing up  vets .

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Speaking only as a selfish fan, Boeser was going to be one of the main reasons I tuned in this season. If he doesn't crack the lineup because of this, I really don't have much reason to watch games or follow the team this year. 

That's pretty sad, a true fan watches games and follows the team whether one player is in the lineup or not. 

You could pay to watch the Comets games though...

ya team looks vastly different i hope benning has some trades up his sleeve i hope hutton, sutter,  dorsett  hopefully are traded  

and   biega chaput megna waived 

ideally we trade sedins vanek and tanev at deadline for max value 

soo to start yr

sedin sedin granlund

baetchi horvat boesser

vanek gagner eriksson

white burmistrov gaunce 

rodin virtanen goldobin 

edler tanev

juolevi guddy

del zotto stecher

weircoch 

7 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

The only reason vanek doesn't make the team would be because of a freak accident/injury.

Vanek looked pretty done last year.  Not sure he has any gas left in the tank.....   Could be another Loui E type player.

At least we didn't sign him to any term so he can be one and done.  

Might get us a 4th or 5th at the trade deadline if he makes the club and plays the season.

5 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

Those highlighted will be the ones to stay in Van, scratch or dressed depends on their performance

Archived