The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

8 minutes ago, samurai said:

this is a total bait and switch by Benning and crew.   Say we are getting younger but we bring in Vanek and Gagner to replace hansen and burrows.  And the same with the D.   

Hard not to think this isnt catering to the Sedins

Even if we're just swapping veterans for each other, we managed to do it while bringing in Goldobin and Dahlen for the trouble of switching.

And that's not even considering what prospects we might get for Gagner and Vanek.

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Boeser - it's close, but I think he will start in Utica

Gaunce - I think he will make the team, as a fourth line left winger

Goldobin - with Vanek signing, he has also moved down the depth chart - probably is best for him to start in Utica

Rodin - a lot of uncertainty with him, but I think he will be our 13th/14th forward

Burmistrov - I see him as our fourth line center

Dorsett - if healthy, he is our fourth line right winger

Virtanen - he needs at least another year in the AHL

^^Couldn't have written it any better than this

This is a guaranteed top five pick. More than likely there will be trades latter in the year. I think the kids will be brought in as there are injuries and trades.

Boeser makes it out of camp. McEneny makes it very difficult for them to waive him and I hope he sticks. (I think they will loose him if he gets waived) They will keep 8 defense.

Goal tending will struggle to start but settle down as the year goes.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Even if we're just swapping veterans for each other, we managed to do it while bringing in Goldobin and Dahlen for the trouble of switching.

And that's not even considering what prospects we might get for Gagner and Vanek.

Exactimungo. 

13 hours ago, danaimo said:

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Chaput and Megna stay with the Canucks.

Boeser, Virtanen, Dahlen, Goldobin and Rodin down to Utica.

This team needs to have players capable of playing top 6 minutes on the roster.  In the few years there have been too many players forced in to a top 6 role that they simply cannot fulfill and this must crust morale.  Vanek can still play 2nd line minutes so that you don't need to force Chaput up the line-up.  Let this crop of prospects spend a full season of hockey in Utica and watch them build chemistry and hopefully dominate their division.  Then, in 12 months time, bring up 3 or 4 and see how they do.  There is not a single prospect in this organization that has been over-seasoned in the AHL and boy, the Comets could have a kickass team this season. 

Last year Vanek played third line minutes with pp time and scored enough points to be our best producer.  He's like Gaborik lite to me, oft injured, but produces when he plays.   I hope he does produce and stays healthy so we can get a first for him as a rental at the deadline, or at least a second....

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Last year Vanek played third line minutes with pp time and scored enough points to be our best producer.  He's like Gaborik lite to me, oft injured, but produces when he plays.   I hope he does produce and stays healthy so we can get a first for him as a rental at the deadline, or at least a second....

Vanek was leading the Red Wings with 15 goals and was their 2nd point producer at the TDL and had their highest P/GP at 0.8.  Holland insisted he got the best offer he possibly could - a 3rd and McIlrath.

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

They need to play the kids...last two years, they've played the vets more than the kids...and it got them 2nd and 3rd to last place...shortening the bench in the third only to blow the lead by playing the vets and benching the kids....wasn't anyone paying attention?

That had a lot to do with the coach at the time as well.

13 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Baer-Bo-Granlund

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek

Loui-Sutter-Gagner

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Boeser, Goldobin

Jake and the rest in Utica. No way Chappy and Lord Megna start in Vancouver unless they have unreal camps. J'adore le Chap Man but I don't see it happening. Rodin needs some time to get his game back. Jake I think will show improvement but will just get squeezed out.

This roster makes the most sense of any that I've seen proposed, I would maybe switch Granlund and Vanek but either way, I think the players on the roster are correct.

I remember last year it also seemed that their were too many forwards but some of the young guys weren't ready (Virtanen) and there were some injuries (Rodin, Dorsett) so we were left with a long steady dose of Megna and Chaput.

Hopefully this year the depth is better so the young prospects can get the call ups and work their way in instead of these other guys.

14 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

All I have to say is these are professionals. The way I look at it competition brings out the best in a professional athlete. You can't give a young person everything they want on a platter or they don't want to earn it they just gripe about it.

So you give the vets every thing on a platter without earning it? Double standard exists with this management group.

15 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

So excited for this season. I see a way more competitive team. Also see a stacked Utica team. Although with this years draft... I wish this was last year roster. But with that said I ALWAYS! Want my team to win. I am not a tanker! buti Do see the depth of this draft and fully understand how talented those top 10+ guys are.

I think the lines go; 

Dank. Hank. Vanek. 

Baer. Boho. Boeser. 

Granny. Sutter. LouEricksons disease..

Dorset. Gagner. Virtanen.

The 13th? Meh. 

Gaunce Goldy Reid Burmistrov etc all to Utica

49 minutes ago, mll said:

Vanek was leading the Red Wings with 15 goals and was their 2nd point producer at the TDL and had their highest P/GP at 0.8.  Holland insisted he got the best offer he possibly could - a 3rd and McIlrath.

Vanek is a PP fix move, an actual right shot guy for the twins... so that should be very good for his points this year as well. If he clicks with the twins he could even do a little better than last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them together on the PP and then on a different line 5 on 5 given the speed issues that line would have. It will become really interesting if Del Zotto can find his form as a PP D again. Lots of things have to go right but Benning seems to have done his best to rebuild a power play given all the roster constraints. 

I can't see Boeser not making it. He found seemingly instant chemistry with Bo and Baer and as far as my eye can tell her is NHL ready. Only real question I have is does he have the conditioning for a full season? He looked good when he was on the ice, fit in well with Bo and Baercheese. Jake had good chemistry with Bo in the pre-season once too though. So conditioning and responsible two way play will be huge for Brock doing what Jake couldn't. It'll be interesting to see if Benning truly does stay true to what he says and makes room for kids if they prove they can make it. I personally think if it's a tie or close he'll just send a kid down. They are generally waiver exempt so it's safer that way. Trades take too long to happen, they'd likely have to waive someone to make room for the kids. Losing someone for nothing or send the kids down for free and have an extra body in case of injuries? Kids would literally have to blow the competition out of the water to force Benning's hand in making a spot via waivers imo.

17 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I see a trade coming. Baertschi and Hutton to Carolina for one of they're promising defensemen. Jake Bean?

Sedins-Granlund

Baer/Goldy-Bo-Vanek

Eriksson-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Gagner 

Why would you trade two promising talents for one?  I am sorry, two is always better than one.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

So you give the vets every thing on a platter without earning it? Double standard exists with this management group.

Hasn't a veteran already earned it? That's why they're veterans, because they have already gone through the ups and downs of a NHL season.  I see no double standard here.  Canuck fans need more patience, always wanting things right away.  We need to let the prospects grow at their own pace.  Some will be exceptional, and will definitely require a spot, but most need seasoning down in the minors.  Not all prospects are ready for the NHL grind.  Although most canuck fans want it to happen, just so that they can have some form of entertainment.

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Exactly this.  Excellent asset management by Benning imo.

Archived