The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

Boeser with his goal scoring ability and virtanen will make the team we need his physical presence 

goldy needs quality top 6 minutes and i and I don't think he'll get that right away so ahl for him 

gaunce is ahl bound. No goals last year and people think he's a shoe in? No way

burmy is 4th line centre/13th forward

boucher, rodin and molino will start in utica or waivers. They haven't proved anything at this level 

Chaput and megna at ahl bound 100%

dahlen will probably go back to Sweden 

dorsett is a question mark

leaving us with...

Sedin-sedin-vanek

baertschi-horvat-boeser 

eriksson-sutter-gagner

dorsett-granlund-virtanen

burmy

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Vanek is a PP fix move, an actual right shot guy for the twins... so that should be very good for his points this year as well. If he clicks with the twins he could even do a little better than last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them together on the PP and then on a different line 5 on 5 given the speed issues that line would have. It will become really interesting if Del Zotto can find his form as a PP D again. Lots of things have to go right but Benning seems to have done his best to rebuild a power play given all the roster constraints. 

Ya, I think you're right here but I think there's more.

It's fairly clear to all of us that Boeser will be that guy at some point.  Top 6 RW, right shot trigger man on the PP.  He has the IQ to arrive in scoring positions at the right time and has one shot scoring ability.  If Boeser turns out to have a career like Vanek has had production wise, I don't think anybody is going to complain.  

I think there's more to the Vanek signing though. Benning is playing conservatively with prospect development.  He prefers not to expose Boeser to the top 6 too soon.  The Vanek addition gives the Canucks proven players in the top 6.  Last season, Horvat started out down the line up and quickly showed us that he was ready for top 6.  Benning is just not going to assume that Boeser is ready for top 6 match ups.  

So it's a win for Vanek because he gets to play another season.  And it's a win for the Canucks because they don't have to rush Boeser and they can flip Vanek at the trade deadline.

i think there is a very good chance baer and granlund get pushed down to the bottom 6.

im suspecting a top 6 of

sedin sedin gagner

vanek horvat eriksson

or

sedin sedin eriksson

vanek horvat gagner 

i think that's how our top 6 will start the season.  sutter as #3 c alongside baer and maybe jake or granny.  i personally think granlund will be traded. ive been calling that since last trade deadline.

we will have a good 2nd line for the first time in a long time.  i can see granlund and burmistrov maybe adding some speed and skill to the 4th line.  granlund, burmistrov, virtanen would be an exciting 4th line. if ur rolling 4 lines though they will all get good minutes. it will essentially 3rd line a and 3rd line b.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i think there is a very good chance baer and granlund get pushed down to the bottom 6.

im suspecting a top 6 of

sedin sedin gagner

vanek horvat eriksson

or

sedin sedin eriksson

vanek horvat gagner 

i think that's how our top 6 will start the season.  sutter as #3 c alongside baer and maybe jake or granny.  i personally think granlund will be traded. ive been calling that since last trade deadline.

we will have a good 2nd line for the first time in a long time.  i can see granlund and burmistrov maybe adding some speed and skill to the 4th line.  granlund, burmistrov, virtanen would be an exciting 4th line. if ur rolling 4 lines though they will all get good minutes. it will essentially 3rd line a and 3rd line b.

I am not sure Vanek is a good fit with Horvat.  Horvat likes the speed game - Vanek is more of a strategy-cycle player like the Sedins.   Think Trent Klatt (he played with Sedins, right?) but with good hands.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, I think you're right here but I think there's more.

It's fairly clear to all of us that Boeser will be that guy at some point.  Top 6 RW, right shot trigger man on the PP.  He has the IQ to arrive in scoring positions at the right time and has one shot scoring ability.  If Boeser turns out to have a career like Vanek has had production wise, I don't think anybody is going to complain.  

I think there's more to the Vanek signing though. Benning is playing conservatively with prospect development.  He prefers not to expose Boeser to the top 6 too soon.  The Vanek addition gives the Canucks proven players in the top 6.  Last season, Horvat started out down the line up and quickly showed us that he was ready for top 6.  Benning is just not going to assume that Boeser is ready for top 6 match ups.  

So it's a win for Vanek because he gets to play another season.  And it's a win for the Canucks because they don't have to rush Boeser and they can flip Vanek at the trade deadline.

interesting story this morning about Vanek praising Boeser, apparently they skated together this summer: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vanek-praises-canucks-boeser-hopes-improve-clubs-power-play/

Considering we were one of the most injured teams last season, I doubt it will be long before the kids that are sent down get called up. The internal competition will be excellent to all the players that are willing to push. It will weed out a few who are not.

A lot of opportunity for Coach Green to deploy 4 lines with reasonable scoring punch.  

One of the most interesting things for me will be watching which skilled forwards adopt a grittier game to crack the roster.  Sutter is the obvious choice to do the heavy 3C lifting but there's a lot of opportunity on the 4th line to be anything you want.  We could easily have guys like  Vanek and Rodin on our 4th line as much as Dorsett and Gaunce.   Should be fun!

19 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I see a trade coming. Baertschi and Hutton to Carolina for one of they're promising defensemen. Jake Bean?

Sedins-Granlund

Baer/Goldy-Bo-Vanek

Eriksson-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Burmistrov-Gagner 

Not that into Mr Bean.  Think he needs a lot of growth and may not make it.  Can't see us trading two NHLers for a guy who is questionable.  

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Boeser is not going down to Utica.

No?  Based on what?  I'd say, after signing Vanek and the fact hes waiver exempt, the odds favour him starting in Utica.  There's a more convincing case for him in Utica than in Vancouver, regardless of what you think.

That said if he comes into camp and rips it up, they'll probably find a way to keep him, but he'll have to significantly outplay waiver eligible vets to do so.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

No?  Based on what?  I'd say, after signing Vanek and the fact hes waiver exempt, the odds favour him starting in Utica.  There's a more convincing case for him in Utica than in Vancouver, regardless of what you think.

That said if he comes into camp and rips it up, they'll probably find a way to keep him, but he'll have to significantly outplay waiver eligible vets to do so.

IMO:

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson 

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Vanek, Gagner, ______

Gaunce, Sutter, Burmistrov

Dorsett

That blank spot gets filled with one of Rodin, Boucher, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen or Virtanen. May the best man win. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Thats a compelling argument.  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm convinced!

Im glad ur convinced! But this market would lose its sh*t if we didnt ice a lineup that didnt have at least one rookie in it. Management is obviously well aware of this. Boeser is the most nhl ready out of all our prospects. I know its not guaranteed but its obvious.

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Im glad ur convinced! But this market would lose its sh*t if we didnt ice a lineup that didnt have at least one rookie in it. Management is obviously well aware of this. Boeser is the most nhl ready out of all our prospects. I know its not guaranteed but its obvious.

I don't think Benning cares one bit if the fan base doesn't like it.  He's proven that he does what he, and the rest of the management team, thinks is best for the player and the organization. If BB comes in and makes it impossible to send him to Utica, I'm sure he's on the roster.  Anything short of "wow" by BB, and I seriously doubt Benning is going to sacrifice the depth he has finally built by risking sending a waiver eligible player to Utica.  

Its been a long climb to get to the point where the org has depth at most positions now, he's not going to miss with that unless Brock clearly outplays, at both ends, his waiver eligible competition.

Even if Boeser, Goldy and Virt all start in the AHL they won't be there all year assuming they're playing well.

Injuries, slumps and the TDL will open up roster spots down the stretch.

Last year Chaput, Megna, Shore, Skille, Boucher, Gaunce, Labate, Crammarosa and Molino all got time.  Plus games with  Biega as a forward.  I'm happy with one or two of those guys (or those like them) cracking the roster but not the army of them we cycled through last year.

23 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Mine is similar to yours but this year I see it like this..

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baer Bo Brock

Eriksson Gagne Vanek

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Burmistrov Rodin 

mine is a bit different with Rodin on a with line with Bo and Boes 

Sedins with Vanek

Eriksson Gagne (gran or baer)

Guance Sutter Dorsett

- Cash in on Baer/Gran, provided you can get a little more back than the 2nd/Shink assets we spent. Trade 1 or even both, if the return's worthwhile.

**If both were dealt, Boucher/Rodin fight for a top-9, LW spot.**

- Split the twins. The cycle doesn't work any more..it's a defensive-liability. Put Hank with shooters.

***For any who refute this. We finished 2nd last, last season. Worst PP over preceding FIVE years. We've been testing Einstein's definition of insanity, with our vet-deployment. Isn't it TIME to try alternatives? High time?***

- Put in a TCamp, waiver-claim for any winger with size/nasty attitude. We finished 2nd last, so may's well use that advantage(2nd dibs, league-wide) to claim some free size. This roster is too soft. Opponents will exploit this deficiency, guaranteed.

- Sutter/Gagner can both audition as Bo's RW. Prob Sutter, for line's defensive speed.

LINEUP:

Daniel - Horvat - Sutter/Gagner   ...reunite twins, sometimes late in periods(flip 1st & 2nd LW's)

Baer/Gran - Henrik - Vanek   ...Time for twins to break out of their 'comfort-zone'. Use their passing skills with other linemates. 

(Bouch/Rodin)

Eriksson - Gagner/Sutter - Boeser

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Dorsett/waiver claim

farm: Chaput, Megna, Virtanen, Goldobin, Bouch/Rodin

On 01/09/2017 at 4:33 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

So. Canucks have quite a few forwards after the offseason. I'll keep it short. Who makes the team?

Sedin, Sedin, Loui, Sutter, Bo, Baer, Vanek, Gagner, Granlund = 9 players. None of these guys will play in Utica. 

That leaves.....

Boeser, Gaunce, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen to battle for 3 spots. Throw Megna and Chaput in there too if you want lol.

So, who makes it? Take into consideration Canucks probably don't want young guys on 4th line.

It's only crowded if nobody gets injured.  

Archived