The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks crowded forward group.

Adarsh Sant

1 minute ago, billabong said:

I see it the way you do except gaunce to me is in the same convo as Boucher, Burmy, rodin etc. He had an awful season last year so he's on the outside looking in. I see him going head to head with burmy for the 13th forward spot. 

Sedin-sedin-vanek

baertschi-horvat-boeser

Eriksson-sutter-gagner

dorsett-granlund-virtanen

burmy/gaunce

boeser is almost a lock unless he has an atrocious camp. Virtanen can play that bottom six role while goldy and dahlen can't so that gives him an edge 

Personally, I'd rather watch Goldy than Vanek.  Utica games might get more viewers than the (old, stale) Canucks if none of our young guys makes the team?

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Is that not the point?

but let's be fair here.  At that time of the season those two legit earned their spots.

certainly theyhave faded since, but if JB was to be true to his word he had to roster them based on their pre season showing.

I thought the point was to win a Cup?  I remember watching a video on Canuck's TV showing the two young guys' getting told they were on the team by Bo, while all the guys were in the dressing room.  It was definitely produced to sell tickets, which I'm certain was accomplished.  A rebuild means painful times, for both the fans and the owner's bottom line.  Clearly Jake and McCann weren't ready, and should have been sent back at the 20 game mark, much like the Oilers did with Draisatl.  

On 9/2/2017 at 7:39 AM, Bandwagon38 said:

I think at this point it is clear that Linden and Benning want to keep the kids away from the big club this year and challenge for a Calder cup so forget speculating the Canucks lineup but drool about the Comets!  

Boeser Dahlen Goldobin

Virtanen Cassels Boucher

Molino Macewen Megna

That top line could get 150-200 points

Dahlen will be playing in Sweden.

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thought the point was to win a Cup?  I remember watching a video on Canuck's TV showing the two young guys' getting told they were on the team by Bo, while all the guys were in the dressing room.  It was definitely produced to sell tickets, which I'm certain was accomplished.  A rebuild means painful times, for both the fans and the owner's bottom line.  Clearly Jake and McCann weren't ready, and should have been sent back at the 20 game mark, much like the Oilers did with Draisatl.  

The cup is out of the picture atm.

I'd rather watch either of those two play than Higgins or prust

Boeser will more likely have a career like Brett Hull...just need a set up man like Adam Oates; BB has a shot similar to Hull's, it would be a bad idea if he were to play with the Sedins, who play a different (cycle) game compared to Hull and Oates who played a more (direct) setup, pass and shoot game.

51 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The cup is out of the picture atm.

I'd rather watch either of those two play than Higgins or prust

True... but you don't want to destroy their confidence neither... 

If they are struggling, think it may be better to prepare them at lower leagues.

When Jake and Mccann were "rushed", many of our more despicable media (the clowns of the bunch)  and their followers were howling for them to be on the team. Now many of the ones who whined to "rush" players in the past will whine for younger players to play now.

We add more depth players to fill the void until players are ready; just like we've done from the start. Linden and Benning are building the team the same way they have from the beginning; yet the whiners will twist it once again to suit their whiny negative viewpoints.

Look at the teams we will face. Look at their depth. Our younger players are not ready to face that sort of competition yet. We finally have the depth to handle injuries without having to throw in our most promising players in too early. I don't see that as a negative.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

True... but you don't want to destroy their confidence neither... 

If they are struggling, think it may be better to prepare them at lower leagues.

Agreed.

but at that time it was different.  They looked good.  Benning said he would make room and he stood by his comment.  As I said, interest in watching Higgins et al was waning and not just because he was yesterday's news.  His offence had totally dried up and he looked slow.

a team in our position at that time had nothing to lose by trying out a couple promising rookies, one a home town boy, for twenty games.

as it happened Jared was shuffled in and out anyway.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Benning said he would make room and he stood by his comment.

I think that Benning has already made room. We will have 17 players signed to one way deals, once Bo is wrapped up. Seven of those are borderline AHL players. Replacement level talent and all on one mill or less deals who can be sent to the farm. No loss if they get picked up on waivers. Dorsette and Gaunce are both coming off of injuries and we won't know if they are ready until they get some pre season games under their belts. That leaves two to four spots open for the kids to earn.

24 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agreed.

but at that time it was different.  They looked good.  Benning said he would make room and he stood by his comment.  As I said, interest in watching Higgins et al was waning and not just because he was yesterday's news.  His offence had totally dried up and he looked slow.

a team in our position at that time had nothing to lose by trying out a couple promising rookies, one a home town boy, for twenty games.

as it happened Jared was shuffled in and out anyway.

I agree... 

We're all dying to see the next Canucks, but only if and when they're ready. Can't help feel that one of the reasons JV has struggled was him being fast tracked. 

I do understand the reason though. Just hope we learnt our lesson, as several of these prospects are going to be our future.

Do agree about Higgins, he was done...

Said there is 2 spots for young guys. Kind of a weird number and weird thing to say in general. So what happens if more than 2 young guys outplay the vets? Sounds like he has penciled in most of the spots already with the exception of 2. Or else he would not have put out that arbitrary number at all. Of course as it stands now we may not have more than two young guys prove they're ready at all, so this "worrying" could all be for nothing. Still think it's a weird statement. With that said maybe I am just reading too much into it. :P 

3 hours ago, groovy said:

Dahlen will be playing in Sweden.

They said if he looks like he is able to play well in NA he would likely play in Utica.  If he looks too raw, he'll go back to Sweden.  Personally, at d+2, I think he needs to be in NA, not Sweden

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

When Jake and Mccann were "rushed", many of our more despicable media (the clowns of the bunch)  and their followers were howling for them to be on the team. Now many of the ones who whined to "rush" players in the past will whine for younger players to play now.

We add more depth players to fill the void until players are ready; just like we've done from the start. Linden and Benning are building the team the same way they have from the beginning; yet the whiners will twist it once again to suit their whiny negative viewpoints.

Look at the teams we will face. Look at their depth. Our younger players are not ready to face that sort of competition yet. We finally have the depth to handle injuries without having to throw in our most promising players in too early. I don't see that as a negative.

I would say McCann was rushed because they could have sent him back to a top notch Jr organization.  I would consider Jake "parked" for that season because Calgary isn't a particularly well run organization and I think they wanted more control over Virt.  

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

Who said anything about games played or anyone being entitled to anything?

You just had said that Brock would have to beat out Rodinfor a spot. I feel that with Brock's 5 points in 9 NHL games, Rodin and his 3 NHL games should have to beat out Boeser for that spot. I'm of the group that believes Rodin to be a bust and nothing more than a 14th fwd at best. 

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say McCann was rushed because they could have sent him back to a top notch Jr organization.  I would consider Jake "parked" for that season because Calgary isn't a particularly well run organization and I think they wanted more control over Virt.  

Maybe so, but that doesn't take away the fact that many of the same people demanding that they be on the team, later complained about rushing them. And some of them are now crying for more younger players right away.

I have a tinfoil theory that they were pumping both of them up in hopes of trading one of them for one more piece to the puzzle.

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

Generally, 'making room' doesn't happen at the push of a button. That said, imo Boeser has Rodin to beat out for a spot. Certainly not an impossible task but I'd not be surprised to see him start in Utica and likely be first call up when injury strikes or a trade is made. 

That is factually incorrect - Boeser and Rodin both have to be better than a few of the free agent signings, and THEN they can compete against each other.

As previously said, I don't mind the competition - I like it actually..., but the odds are stacked against young players when there isn't even a spot for them to compete for...

Few things that are part of this:

1. Attendance at the games.  Sell tickets or leave town.

2. Patience of ownership.  The fan base may be into waiting out a rebuild more than the ownership.

3. Management keeping their jobs

These 3 things trump any hockey decision, and that is why there is such an incongruity - between going on a youth movement (trading for young prospects who are eager for a shot) and then signing late 20 FAs / early 30s that effectively is at complete odds with the youth movement.  And I'm talking over the last few years here... but you could think about it only for this season if you want.  'll bet almost EVERYONE would be more stoked for the season knowing that there is a spot available (even 1) for the start of the season for the young players to compete for, and then maybe lose or keep.  But that won't actually sell tickets and improve attendance (as the ticket buyers are corporate type, the tickets are just too damn expensive for the majority of fans to consistently go to games) nor will it increase the patience of ownership.  Long term it would... but not short term.  And keeping your job is a short-term thing (make the playoffs and keep your job... how many years do you think the current management has left without making the playoffs again?)

Anyways, I get what you are saying, but imho "making room" is more governed by the 3 points made above than what makes sense hockey-wise.  A lot of intelligent posters on this board make a lot of great posts, and some try to justify the seeming lack of direction... but imho it all becomes clear when those 3 points above are considered.

peace

Archived