The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

On 8/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I don't get hate for your players on your team anyways...……...

Whether it be Edler, Gagner, Eriksson, or who ever

The guys goes out and does the best he can do every night....for that night

We seldom know about small injuries or long term injuries a player plays with

What we do know is he is the best we have for that position, and if we had better according to the GM and Coach

I would expect they would have that guy there...…..

Not everyone can improve, not everyone can fight, not everyone can speak out.....

He is who he is

He is an NHL hockey player, who is the best the Canucks could get, in their opinion, and under those circumstances...….

Why hate the player?

Good take.  Criticism is fine and should be part of the discourse but I do not understand the total visceral hate for players.  I'd love Sam or any other mediocre player to become all-stars but sometimes a guy is an average player making average money and it's not really too controversial.

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

Can we waive this guy already?

Please?

Given none of the kids short of EP have remotely pushed for a spot and we're going to be challenged to score goals this year, the chances of a trusted, consistent +/- 40 point vet getting waived are getting slimmer by the day.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Given none of the kids short of EP have remotely pushed for a spot and we're going to be challenged to score goals this year, the chances of a trusted, consistent +/- 40 point vet getting waived are getting slimmer by the day.

I know

And it's killing me

I think Sam's time in Vancouver came to an end last season. In all reality he did nothing of note last year to give his coaching staff hope of a better performance this upcoming season. 

Sam looked lost or just ineffective last year when it came to scoring.

This preseason things didn't look any more encouraging other than his skating, which was pointed out above. He simply didn't stick his nose in. 

For Gagner to be called back up from Utica, if he clears waivers today, will mean he's ripping things up in the Minors ahead of some young prospects, which at this point seems unlikely with his performance in camp this preseason.

Unfortunate for Sam.

I think his salary was the killer for Gags here. I think if he and Granny have the same contract, Granny gets waived. 

Gagner on a deal of less than $2M per very likely gets claimed here. His $3.1M hit means he has a strong chance of making it through. 

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think his salary was the killer for Gags here. I think if he and Granny have the same contract, Granny gets waived. 

Gagner on a deal of less than $2M per very likely gets claimed here. His $3.1M hit means he has a strong chance of making it through. 

I think it's more Granlund's versatility and he can also play in the bottom-6 while Gagner is not really suited to play on a defensive line.  Granlund is apparently the extra player at practice today so that doesn't bode well for him either with Roussel soon coming back.  That being said those in the lineup need to prove that they can keep their spots.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't know. I think this is just temporary and Gagner will be back with the Canucks within a month.

He has the tool box. You could be right. Just looked like he had no fight in him. This might be the wake up call he needs. I like Gagne and expected more. He needs to find the Gagne that went to Edmonton and had the 8 point night.

Archived