The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jeff Jackson (Gagner’s agent) on Sam Gagner:

“Although he was disappointed out of camp, he was going to go to Toronto and work on his game and wait for an opportunity. He is extremely excited to be back up and has made good strides down in Toronto.”

"Personally my view doesn't really matter but Sam shouldn't have left the team in the fall, he was good enough to make that team, personally that’s my opinion. End of the day Sam is there and hopefully there till the end of the season."

How would he know that?  Was he at the practises and privy to coaching discussions?  But yeah, Jeff...your opinion doesn't really matter.

“Things change in the NHL week to week and when Sam signed in Vancouver we felt it was the best fit. Strange things happen but Sams approach is stay up and make an impact.”

Really?  Maybe he didn't play good enough and he was usurped?

"The media speculation in the Vancouver market that the Canucks⁠⁠ and Sam were done, I think that was totally over-blown. That was never the case, that tweet wasn't right that neither party had moved on. Sam is excited to be back."

This is true.

"Sam has great vision and skill still, he can help with the powerplay, he will produce. If Sam plays with offensive-minded players like he did last year, with the Sedin twins, Vanek and Boeser, he can produce but that is up to Travis."

Or, in other words, Sam has to be on EP40s line.  It will be up to Travis whether he produces or not.

Sounds like Jeff Jackson should coach the Canucks!  I do hope that Gags can play better this time, but I wish his PR agent would stfu.

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jeff Jackson (Gagner’s agent) on Sam Gagner:

“Although he was disappointed out of camp, he was going to go to Toronto and work on his game and wait for an opportunity. He is extremely excited to be back up and has made good strides down in Toronto.”

"Personally my view doesn't really matter but Sam shouldn't have left the team in the fall, he was good enough to make that team, personally that’s my opinion. End of the day Sam is there and hopefully there till the end of the season."

“Things change in the NHL week to week and when Sam signed in Vancouver we felt it was the best fit. Strange things happen but Sams approach is stay up and make an impact.”

"The media speculation in the Vancouver market that the Canucks⁠⁠ and Sam were done, I think that was totally over-blown. That was never the case, that tweet wasn't right that neither party had moved on. Sam is excited to be back."

"Sam has great vision and skill still, he can help with the powerplay, he will produce. If Sam plays with offensive-minded players like he did last year, with the Sedin twins, Vanek and Boeser, he can produce but that is up to Travis."

Alright Sam, your agent did his job. So he has earned 1/3 of your salary like a lawyer. Give him 3 million please. :ph34r:

Gagner got a goal and an assist against LA but I just do not like his game. Just play him and try for a TDL deal but that is 3 months away. I suspect his reversion to mean will only take a couple of weeks. The classic play would be to put him on LW with EP40 to pump his numbers and then move him. That puts Goldy on the 2nd line and I am not crazy about that as he is hitting his stride and needs TOI with EP40 and Virtanen to cement his game. 

21 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Looks much better after his wake up call

Would rather see Sam in lineup than Leipsic, Schaller or Roussell

Roussell?? You would rather gagner than Roussell????    :bigblush:

Hahaha Roussell provides WAY WAY WAY more than Gagner ever has.  The other two? Meh...whatever. 

54 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he keeps playing like this I have zero issue with him being up with the main roster. Anything like the preseason then good riddance. 

I'm hoping the demotion was the wakeup call he needed.  Anything like last season or training camp and he has zero business playing in the NHL.  I'm still wary of his attitude given how he thought  that pitiful excuse for effort was acceptable.  Benning I am sure has made it clear there will be no third chances if he opens his mouth or starts floating again.

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm hoping the demotion was the wakeup call he needed.  Anything like last season or training camp and he has zero business playing in the NHL.  I'm still wary of his attitude given how he thought  that pitiful excuse for effort was acceptable.  Benning I am sure has made it clear there will be no third chances if he opens his mouth or stas flortating agian.

Floating has already started. 

2 hours ago, lmm said:

anybody else find it telling that Sam has played 1/4 of the season, and is neither listed on the roster or the stats page?

Maybe his stay is going to be short^_^ If I am interpreting the re-entry waiver rule correctly he can only play a max of two or three more games, or in the case of the 30 day limit, Dec 19th.

With Beagle and Sutter both getting closer to returning and some encouraging news about Baertschi making progress; Gagner is most likely going to be sent down and somehow I don't think the re-entry deadline will make  hill o beans difference.

For the team to make roster room for Beagle and Sutter IMO, I would like them to waive both Gagner and Leipsic and if they are reluctant to waive Leipsic then send Gaudette back down to Utica so he can gain experience by playing big minutes on the Comets vs 10 or so with the Canucks

37 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Maybe his stay is going to be short^_^ If I am interpreting the re-entry waiver rule correctly he can only play a max of two or three more games, or in the case of the 30 day limit, Dec 19th.

With Beagle and Sutter both getting closer to returning and some encouraging news about Baertschi making progress; Gagner is most likely going to be sent down and somehow I don't think the re-entry deadline will make  hill o beans difference.

For the team to make roster room for Beagle and Sutter IMO, I would like them to waive both Gagner and Leipsic and if they are reluctant to waive Leipsic then send Gaudette back down to Utica so he can gain experience by playing big minutes on the Comets vs 10 or so with the Canucks

Lol. I am pretty sure the team doesn't give a crap if Gagner passes through waivers. They probably want to waive him again and hope another team actually picks up his contract.

The normal waiver concerns with gagme don't really count here lol.

Edit: disregard: I see you already state that reentry does not matter at all with respect to gagme.

1 minute ago, John McClane said:

I really didn’t think the Canucks would put Sam back in the AHL again. I figured they would trade him. Give him a fresh opportunity. Maybe they tried and no interest at this time. 

Maybe JB promised to move him back to the Marlies as part of the Leibo deal? Or just maybe he is going to Utica.  

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Rumour has the Hawks are interested in Gagner. They could have claimed him so they must want some retained salary from Van. 

Makes no sense for us to retain on Gagner.  Let him play in the AHL.  If the Hawks want him, they can have him for free, but no salary retention.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Makes no sense for us to retain on Gagner.  Let him play in the AHL.  If the Hawks want him, they can have him for free, but no salary retention.  

Van could easily retain some salary and still request a player back. Gagner in the right situation could still provide some offense. As CAP space becomes crucial towards the TDL I suspect Benning can get something back. 

Archived