The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Might've been the whiplash after the hit.  I dont remember seeing any head contact in the hit.

I've noticed Gagner tries to engage in contact, but gets bounced around pretty badly.  The try is likely there with him, but (maybe?) he's just too small to be effective all over the ice as a center?

Not much action is the game is of course it's Gagner that is the one to be the highest moving up the all-time Canuck scoring list.  Passing an odd assortment of players with 'J' first names...and Denis Pederson.

223.  Randy Boyd D 62 7 17 24
223.  Sam Gagner C 59 7 17 24
225.  Jack McIlhargey D 167 6 18 24
226.  John LeBlanc LW 43 13 10 23
227.  Jan Bulis C 79 12 11 23
227.  Jason King RW 55 12 11 23
229.  Jan Hlavac LW 55 10 13 23
230.  Denis Pederson RW 102 8 15 23

On 2/2/2018 at 2:22 PM, Alflives said:

I've noticed Gagner tries to engage in contact, but gets bounced around pretty badly.  The try is likely there with him, but (maybe?) he's just too small to be effective all over the ice as a center?

I have tried to warm up to Gagner but simply cannot. I understand why he was signed but would not be sad to see him go. At best he is a 3C and I can only hope that the depth knocks him out next fall. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have tried to warm up to Gagner but simply cannot. I understand why he was signed but would not be sad to see him go. At best he is a 3C and I can only hope that the depth knocks him out next fall. 

Short term filler. He's not particularly here (or paid) to 'wow' anyone. He's paid to be a versatile, veteran cog that can play any 3 forward positions, up and down the lines. Versatile, flexible, veteran and disposable depth.

One way or another he'll be gone in the next 2 years so I don't really know why people fret so much over him. He's the hockey equivalent of the soy in your Subway 'chicken'.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think he's here for his 3 years, but will play wing, when Gaudette comes up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know people don't really care for Sam Gagner, but when Bo was out long term, I thought Gags did a great job centering Vanek and Boeser and being the primary offensive line for a few weeks. 

Didn't produce as much as what was advertised when he first signed, but I thought like Michael Del Zotto, both filled in adequately, just that the team forced them into positions above their usual capabilities.  I think both a great bottom six support cast roles suited them well and you could see down the final 10 games, they performed better when they were contained in more manageable roles.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know people don't really care for Sam Gagner, but when Bo was out long term, I thought Gags did a great job centering Vanek and Boeser and being the primary offensive line for a few weeks. 

Didn't produce as much as what was advertised when he first signed, but I thought like Michael Del Zotto, both filled in adequately, just that the team forced them into positions above their usual capabilities.  I think both a great bottom six support cast roles suited them well and you could see down the final 10 games, they performed better when they were contained in more manageable roles.

The both did what they're paid and supposed to do. Shelter kids from roles above their heads, be depth for injuries and create competition for kids to earn spots.

People act like we signed them to win a cup :rolleyes:

And FWIW, Gagner was 'advertised' as a +/- 40 point, player who can play all three forward spots and slide up and down your lines while bringing veteran leadership. Seems to me he did all those things, including scoring at a 34 point pace.

Whiners gonna whine, haters gonna hate.

• 2 months later...

Considering how the prices seem to be rising for the UFA pool of players.  Wonder if Canucks decide to hold off getting the niche centre, and try Gagner out again at centre beside Pettersson and Eriksson.

I'd much rather see Gagner and Eriksson with EP over Granlund and Sutter.

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering how the prices seem to be rising for the UFA pool of players.  Wonder if Canucks decide to hold off getting the niche centre, and try Gagner out again at centre beside Pettersson and Eriksson.

Probably their worst-case backup plan, but hopefully they can make a hockey trade to acquire what they need and move out a couple other assets.

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Guess we'll see how much the management want brother Jack in the draft next year.

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

No if I was to trade him in for a UFA which ones come close in price?

Well again, we don't have to 'trade him in', we have plenty of cap space to sign another $3m player. But you're not going to do much better. $3m, and short term gets you a decent ~3rd liner these days or like a #5 D unless maybe you're a contender and can command a bit of a discount.

People fret WAAYYYYY too much over Gagner's contract. He's paid for and doing EXACTLY what he was hired for.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well again, we don't have to 'trade him in', we have plenty of cap space to sign another $3m player. But you're not going to do much better. $3m, and short term gets you a decent ~3rd liner these days or like a #5 D unless maybe you're a contender and can command a bit of a discount.

People fret WAAYYYYY too much over Gagner's contract. He's paid for and doing EXACTLY what he was hired for.

I would prefer someone who hits and can add some protection for our young guys.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I would prefer someone who hits and can add some protection for our young guys.

I'm all for adding one of Roussel/Reaves and a guy like Beagle. That has pretty much n othing to do with Gagner though.

Archived