The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

its a bit early to be writing Gagner off.  you have to give him at least 30-40 games. i wonder if the pressure in van is to much for eriksson and his contract.  

the big pacific division might be a factor too. 

30-40 games?!?!?

man I wish I could be mediocre at work for half a year.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's these types of signings ( soft, old, and non compete guys) that are keeping fans away.  Yes, we want to see our younger player.   

you do need a few veterans tho.... i mean look at TO, its not an accident they went out to get Marleau. So we're a bottom 1/3 team so we get Gagner for Jake to learn with. Its fine for what it is. Vanek tho.... 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you do need a few veterans tho.... i mean look at TO, its not an accident they went out to get Marleau. So we're a bottom 1/3 team so we get Gagner for Jake to learn with. Its fine for what it is. Vanek tho.... 

Ye but marleau can still wheel.  Our vets can't skate.

Just watched Gagner's highlights with Columbus last year. Looks like he scored most of his points as a center. Only saw one instance where he was used on the point on the PP (which is how Brown is using him). A lot of his goals were from tip-ins from the high slot, or down low plays behind and around the net.

Like others on the team (Stecher, Louie, Granlund) I think he's not being deployed properly. I'd try him at center if you're looking for him to generate offense.

hey the team knew what he was all about when he was signed

he was given a very special role on his previous team

last season's game tapes can be further reviewed if there is any mystery about how best to deploy him

he wants a larger role, which is why he was signed here, but he needs to be productive first

i wonder whether he is a bit of a square peg being forced into a round hole

why sign him if he was not going to be used in the way he was so recently successful?

i think he is useful if used in the best way for him

Reid Boucher has 6 points in 4 AHL games.

Goldobin has 5 points in 4 games.

I hope Green keeps the veterans on a short leash. The Sedins, Vanek, Eriksson and Gagner are 5 potential dead weights for this team. If they don't play with enough energy and enthusiasm that the kids in Utica would play with, they deserve to sit. I like what some of the veterans bring and we certainly need their good defence, game management, board battles and net-front presences, but Boucher and Goldobin deserve a crack, especially if someone like Gagner, who was brought in to help the PP and score 30-40 points, is invisible most nights

Archived