The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

16 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I'm as disgruntled as the next fan, but we are 4 games in....

The Sedins being slow is nothing surprising, let's be real here, but everything else needs time to gel, we need to be more patient.

Patience is not in the vocabulary of most Nucks fans, and realistic expectations are also completely out to lunch. 

I don't mind the Gagner signing. He's been decent in the games that our team have been decent, and that's not many of them. We've only played 4 games, so it's hard to judge, especially with the showing against Calgary and Winnipeg by the whole team.

He's created a few chances here and there, and has been better than others have.

14 hours ago, Bavel_Pure said:

Incredibly unimpressed with his showing so far.  Soft in battles, doesn't seem to be contributing much in any way really.  Does he have an identity on this team? Is it too early to tell?  Would love to hear different views on this.

Could be said about a lot of guys so far, but it's early he has 79 games to turn his season around.  

14 hours ago, Bavel_Pure said:

Incredibly unimpressed with his showing so far.  Soft in battles, doesn't seem to be contributing much in any way really.  Does he have an identity on this team? Is it too early to tell?  Would love to hear different views on this.

FYI - I merged your thread with the Player thread that already existed. Please search prior to making a new thread to make sure it isn’t redundant. Thanks very much!

I think Gagner needs skilled players to be successful with, otherwise he just goes invisible. Seems a common trend along his career. Coaching tends to be paramount as well, wherever he's been.

He's a playmaker-first so wouldn't mind seeing him get some time with a sniper like Boeser, Granlund/Sutter or maybe even Virtanen. Obviously our main problem is we don't have enough good forwards for him to set up, but we could work him in somewhere with some fast-skating kid on the other wing and a two-way center.

Boeser/Granlund - Sutter - Gagner?

I didn't realize what a slow and lazy skater Gagner was.

I compared his skating to Brock Boeser and he is still worse.

He is basically another Sedin at this point not physical and no speed doesn't play with intensity.

Looks real slow and out of place on the wing.

Maybe put him back at center and it will force him to be more involved.

Not impressed at all.

If he wasn't a veteran and if the NHL was a true meritocracy he would be healthy scratched or demoted to send a message.

Take him off the power play. 

He doesn't deserve to be on there.

He has been the worst Canucks player by FAR this year.

On 16/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Gagner needs skilled players to be successful with, otherwise he just goes invisible. Seems a common trend along his career. Coaching tends to be paramount as well, wherever he's been.

He's a playmaker-first so wouldn't mind seeing him get some time with a sniper like Boeser, Granlund/Sutter or maybe even Virtanen. Obviously our main problem is we don't have enough good forwards for him to set up, but we could work him in somewhere with some fast-skating kid on the other wing and a two-way center.

Boeser/Granlund - Sutter - Gagner?

Some fast skating kid who likes to score eh Reid Boucher!!! Eh Nikolay Goldobin!!!

6 hours ago, Alexandre said:

The problem with Gagner is he's not fully invested with the Canucks. He is holding back somewhat, for whatever reason. Maybe when things start to click for him, it will be different. He seems like a nice guy though.

He's always been a streaky player.

Largely, he's been playing well defensively but hasn't bee creating tonnes of offense. He's also been bumped around the lineup a lot. So far I'd say he's been 'serviceable'. I do think he'll have more to give now that he appears more settled in and seems to be building some chemistry with Vanek/Burm.

But really, he's veteran, middle 6 depth who can play all three forward positions and play up and down the lines and contribute on the PP.

He's versatility. That's it.

IMO people seemed to have too lofty expectations....

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Largely, he's been playing well defensively but hasn't bee creating tonnes of offense. He's also been bumped around the lineup a lot. So far I'd say he's been 'serviceable'. I do think he'll have more to give now that he appears more settled in and seems to be building some chemistry with Vanek/Burm.

But really, he's veteran, middle 6 depth who can play all three forward positions and play up and down the lines and contribute on the PP.

his career numbers are all over the place. We can expect somewhere between 8 and 18 goals, 14 to 50 points :P 

i think you're right, he's someone they can plug into multiple places in the lineup and not worry about him being a liability. Offence  will be a bonus with him. 

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's CDC in a nutshell. Great assessment of Gagner.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

his career numbers are all over the place. We can expect somewhere between 8 and 18 goals, 14 to 50 points :P 

i think you're right, he's someone they can plug into multiple places in the lineup and not worry about him being a liability. Offence  will be a bonus with him. 

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

That's CDC in a nutshell. Great assessment of Gagner.

Really he's a 'plug'. A' high-end' plug perhaps but realistically, he was signed to quite literally be able to be plugged in to either W or at C in a pinch, on basically any of the lines, hopefully create some offense, maybe help our pathetic PP a bit all while being competent defensively and bringing some veteran presence and depth while we wait for kids to arrive.

Particularly helpful if the Sedins are retired next year (as IMO, they should).

I'm not sure what people were expecting but 3 years X $3.15m doesn't get you a high end top 6 player who dominates and puts up 60+ points. He's on pace for 30 points and that's after a slow start offensively. I'd imagine he'll likely trend up closer to 40 points (which isn't a terrible stretch IMO) which would put him in about the ball park I expected and perfectly good value for his contract and what he was signed for IMO.

Again, what were people expecting?

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, what were people expecting?

I dunno. I'm just starting to get warmed to Vanek :lol: 

Gagner isn't a guy thats going to be the difference maker on a line, but he can be a good partner. I think thats pretty much it really. 

Archived