The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is not a big deal to the overall finances of the Canucks. It was only a big deal to JB as he probably was worried for his job. As for the analogy, the guy who took responsibility for the mistake worked there for many years afterwards. You seem intent on making mountains out of mole hills IMO. Gagner will either be bought out or moved before the start of next year and that will be the end of it.

No one is trying to make it anything more than it is. A mistake. It’s people like you trying to down play it off as nothing. But then you contradict yourself admitting that JB was likely worried about his job. Aka jb understood its slightly more than nothing.

I don’t know why so many people struggle to admit anything other than perfection. It’s a mistake, a dumb one that JB will not want to make again. Will it be held over JBs head next contract negotiation. Likely not. Will it cause him to be fired? Nope. Does it set Canucks franchise back a decade? Nope and no one has stated it would.  But nevertheless it is a black mark on his overall report card. It’s not the end of the world to admit that.  

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is pretty easy to make a generalized statement and not substantiate it with any figures to back it up. These players contracts are up for renegotiation or termination next season:

Granlund, RFA+ current $ 1.475M... even with arbitration rights (+), he is not likely to see a big jump in pay. , maybe 1.75M?

Motte, RFA+ current $ .925M...again not likely a big jump in pay for him either.... possibly 1.1M?

Leivo, RFA+ current $  .925M...not much bargaining leverage IMO......1.1M?

Boeser, RFA current $  .925M... he is one of very few that should see a big jump in pay depending on if they do a bridge or go long term

Goldobin, RFA current $  .863M... if his play continues to progress as the season goes by he might get a pretty decent raise but likely a bridge deal. Ballpark est. $ 1.75 bridge

Hutton, RFA+ current $  2.8M... could be looking at 3.5 to 4M

Pouliot, RFA+ current $  1.1M... if he is still with the team, even with arbitration rights not likely to get more than the minimum increase in pay. More likely moved at TDL IMO

Edler,  UFA  current $ 5.0M... if he is resigned it will be for similar dollar value to what he is making now. Question mark will be term.

MDZ, UFA  current $ 3.0M... likely gone at TDL. Choice of left defense prospects to fill that spot at less cost in the short term.

Nilsson, UFA   current $ 2.5M.... not sure what their plans are for him but if he is resigned short term till Demko is truly ready for the NHL, likely be for a similar pay plus 10%

Dorsett, LTIR current  $ 2.65M.... this contract comes off the books next season and frees up  $ 2.65M

Now there is some meat and potato values to discuss and how Gagner's cap hit does or doesn't  matter in the grand scheme of things going forward.

I literally said it's not a big amount. It probably won't make a difference overall, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. It was a mistake with negligible consequences to our cap situation, but one that our owner wasn't happy about it. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We started the year with around $12m in cap space iirc, even with his $2m in 'dead cap'.

We have even more cap space opening next year (and a likely rising cap).

It is the definition of not making any difference.

That doesn't change whether it's a good or bad move though. 

As you said, it's not a big deal at all. But it is a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I literally said it's not a big amount. It probably won't make a difference overall, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. It was a mistake with negligible consequences to our cap situation, but one that our owner wasn't happy about it. 

I can agree with that.

I don't think I ever said it wasn't a mistake just that it wasn't a "big" mistake. By the time the Canucks rookies are in line for some serious ka-ching Gagner's contract will be off the books one way or another.

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That doesn't change whether it's a good or bad move though. 

As you said, it's not a big deal at all. But it is a mistake. 

the insurance analogy @aGENT uses for the Gagner situation is correct. We didn't need to use much this year, and likely not at all next. Doesn't make it a "mistake" - at all.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Gagner still ripping it up in the AHL, interestingly.

He is still a decent NHLer.... just not at this current price tag.  Plus with the emergence of EP, he doesn't have a role on the team.  

I'm surprised that the Canucks can't off-load Gagner with like 50% contract retention.  I mean it's not like the team can bury the entire cap of the contract in the minors like before.  

11 hours ago, Lancaster said:

He is still a decent NHLer.... just not at this current price tag.  Plus with the emergence of EP, he doesn't have a role on the team.  

I'm surprised that the Canucks can't off-load Gagner with like 50% contract retention.  I mean it's not like the team can bury the entire cap of the contract in the minors like before.  

Hoping it has something to do with the Spooner on waivers today.

Gagner ($500k-$1m retained) + Schaller for Spooner and a pick.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

They won't move Pulj. Not even Chia is that dolt'ish. We also need less bodies, not more.

you have to wonder if they'd go for a Gags - Spooner trade tho. If EDM threw in their 3rd from the NYI I'd be happy to see it. 

Maybe something like Gag's 750k retained for Spooner, their NYI 3rd and someone promising off their reserve list. 

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

They won't move Pulj. Not even Chia is that dolt'ish. We also need less bodies, not more.

I liked Pully in the Calgary game last weekend. I had to laugh as he reminded me of Kassian the way he kept falling down. He is going to be a good one.  

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They should bring Gagner back up. He's probably a better player than Goldobin, atleast I bet he would produce more right now. 

They've tried everyone else with Horvat & they just don't have anyone. Next up the janitor will get a few shifts with Bo. So why not try Gagner with Horvat? 

I'd like to see them try one of Gaudette, MacEwan, or Dahlen with Horvat before they give Gagner another go. I think that ship has sailed.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They should bring Gagner back up. He's probably a better player than Goldobin, atleast I bet he would produce more right now. 

They've tried everyone else with Horvat & they just don't have anyone. Next up the janitor will get a few shifts with Bo. So why not try Gagner with Horvat? 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I'd like to see them try one of Gaudette, MacEwan, or Dahlen with Horvat before they give Gagner another go. I think that ship has sailed.

The only reason I could see bringing up Gagner over the guys DeNiro mentioned would be to audition him and hopefully increase his trade value at the deadline. Or at least get his value up to the point where you can trade him with money retained.

Hard contract to move though considering it has another year on it.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

The only reason I could see bringing up Gagner over the guys DeNiro mentioned would be to audition him and hopefully increase his trade value at the deadline. Or at least get his value up to the point where you can trade him with money retained.

Hard contract to move though considering it has another year on it.

I thought Gagner was working really hard and playing pretty well when he got sent back down to the A.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not only has the shipped sailed but is smoking with threat of flames. Wait with anticipation that Gagner is moved to a desperate playoff team for a 4th rdr. There are 4 or 5 players in Utica who I would like to see play in March. Canucks are not making playoffs and the sooner that is realized the better. 

Archived