The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Potential future line up ideas

In a perfect world where all our prospects pan out. what would your ideal line combinations be? This year I hope we focus on high end D prospects 

Dahlen Pettersson Boesser 

Goldobin Horvat Granlund 

Gadjoovich Gaudette Lind 

Virtanen MacEwen Lockwood

Juolevi  

Rathbone Stetcher 

McEneny 

Brisebois  Subban 

Demko 

DiPietro 

Dahlen-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Granlund-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gadjovich-Gaunce-Lind

Juolevi-____________

Hutton-Stecher

Subban-Gudbranson

Demko

DePietro 

Who knows who we will draft of what will happen via trades. Overall I think we have a good depth in forward but we need some more depth on defense

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Dahlen-Bo-Granlund

Goldobin-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Gaunce-Lockwood

Juolevi-_____ /Stetcher

Hutton-Guddy/Stetcher

Mceneny/Brisebois-Subban

Demko

DePietro

I think we currently need a top end RD and a top end C/LW as Pettersson could currently be one or the other right now.

Id say a trade of Tanev or Baertschi+ for a top end RD or C/LW is needed. Man if we traded the Sedins and Tanev the Canucks could potentially be set to win cups in a few years.

If all things workout:

Dahlen - Pettersson -Svechnikov (being hopeful)/ Virtanen

Baertschi/ Lind - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin-  Gaudette- Granlund

______ -   Gaunce - ______

Joulevi - Dahlin (being hopeful, and yes its one or the other)

______ - Stecher

Hutton - ______

Demko 

DiPietro

Additions since the end of last season have been Gagner, Vanek, Burmistrov, del Zotto, Holm, Weircoich.  I think this assures depth and competition and that Benning won't have to place a very young player above his head.  For this reason, I think the opening line up could very well be:

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baertschi Horvat Vanek

Eriksson Sutter Gagner

Gaunce Burmistrov Dorsett.........depth Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

del Zotto Gudbranson

I get that Benning may not want one of the prospects starting in the top 6 but couldn't Eriksson have filled the role that it appears Vanek was signed to fill?  Vanek may be better on the PP but I would expect Eriksson to have a better year.  Vanek does have better career stats (333-364-697 in 885 games 0.79 ppg 0.38 gpg) Eriksson (223-305-528 in 790 games 0.67 ppg 0.28 gpg)

As for prospects, they need to have great camps and need to show they are clearly better than the 4th line as I have drawn it up.  If Burmistrov doesn't make it, Sutter or Gagner could slide to 4C which opens a spot on the wing.

A 3rd line of Eriksson Gagner Boeser might work if he makes the team over Burmistrov for example.

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Additions since the end of last season have been Gagner, Vanek, Burmistrov, del Zotto, Holm, Weircoich.  I think this assures depth and competition and that Benning won't have to place a very young player above his head.  For this reason, I think the opening line up could very well be:

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baertschi Horvat Vanek

Eriksson Sutter Gagner

Gaunce Burmistrov Dorsett.........depth Goldobin, Boeser, Virtanen

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

del Zotto Gudbranson

I get that Benning may not want one of the prospects starting in the top 6 but couldn't Eriksson have filled the role that it appears Vanek was signed to fill?  Vanek may be better on the PP but I would expect Eriksson to have a better year.  Vanek does have better career stats (333-364-697 in 885 games 0.79 ppg 0.38 gpg) Eriksson (223-305-528 in 790 games 0.67 ppg 0.28 gpg)

As for prospects, they need to have great camps and need to show they are clearly better than the 4th line as I have drawn it up.  If Burmistrov doesn't make it, Sutter or Gagner could slide to 4C which opens a spot on the wing.

A 3rd line of Eriksson Gagner Boeser might work if he makes the team over Burmistrov for example.

I like that line up. Think you nailed it. Particularly the 3rd line, which will be as good or better than most NHL squads, save the elite.

But I am not as confident in our D. Holm or Wiercioch becomes the 7th man?  And our depth is Biega, a more likeable Megna on D, and Pedan. 

Are Holm and Wier good enough? Are we deep enough?

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I like that line up. Think you nailed it. Particularly the 3rd line, which will be as good or better than most NHL squads, save the elite.

But I am not as confident in our D. Holm or Wiercioch becomes the 7th man?  And our depth is Biega, a more likeable Megna on D, and Pedan. 

Are Holm and Wier good enough? Are we deep enough?

I think they are incrementally better on D this year (although I confess, I don't know del Zotto well).  Pedan and McEneny I think are in tough now.  And I can't wait to see Juolevi in camp although I fully expect him to be in Finland with Salo next year.  Imagine that, Salo passes down the secret to getting his rocket launcher of a slap shot thru to the net.  Not a bad guy to have in your corner.

I have been focusing on forwards I guess because of the numbers.  I left out Boucher, Molino and Dahlen from my post above but really, any of 9 players could conceivably make the team (or not)....to repeat, Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin are the others.

Edit, I keep leaving out Rodin, so it's 10 possible players for the final 3 (up to 5 counting spares)

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think they are incrementally better on D this year (although I confess, I don't know del Zotto well).  Pedan and McEneny I think are in tough now.  And I can't wait to see Juolevi in camp although I fully expect him to be in Finland with Salo next year.  Imagine that, Salo passes down the secret to getting his rocket launcher of a slap shot thru to the net.  Not a bad guy to have in your corner.

I have been focusing on forwards I guess because of the numbers.  I left out Boucher, Molino and Dahlen from my post above but really, any of 9 players could conceivably make the team (or not)....to repeat, Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin are the others.

Edit, I keep leaving out Rodin, so it's 10 possible players for the final 3 (up to 5 counting spares)

We lost Tryamkin. And Sbisa, although that is less important. Which was a tremendous amount of the physicality on our squad.

MDZ is like adding another Stecher to our team. A little bigger. Aggressive and creative with the puck. Good but not elite. At one time he was a bit sloppy, uncompetitive at the defensive end. It saw him, among other reasons, run out of town in New York. But he got the memo. And picked up his attention and intensity to win his way back into the league. MDZ is fine. But not a difference maker. When Provorov and Ghost proved capable of handling the puck, he became expendable in Philly.

If we achieved one thing last year? We became a lot harder to play against in our end. Feared might be pushing it? But we were big and mobile. I am not so sure that is the case this year. We will score 8 or 15 more goals from the back end? Which is, I suppose incremental? We also lose an edge! It offsets any improvement offensively IMO.  Wiercioch is not the same presence as either Sbisa, or Tree. In spite of his size. Travis Green will have to coach some extra intensity into several players for us to be where we were last year on D.

Which is possible? If Edler hits everything that moves. Like he did in 2008. If a bigger and stronger Hutton wins some puck battles. Guddy starts to look more like a #3 overall pick? Comes back from injury assertive. And Wier gets the memo, battles to stay in the NHL. But those suggestions have to be seen before I can suggest we are improved. Those are coaching induced incremental improvements if they happen. Not personnel related ones, where we are not better on paper, on D, than last year.

We're better up front, quite a bit. Perhaps took a step back on D and in goal. Green will have to coach a lot into this team for us to pass, say, 80 points?

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We lost Tryamkin. And Sbisa, although that is less important. Which was a tremendous amount of the physicality on our squad.

MDZ is like adding another Stecher to our team. A little bigger. Aggressive and creative with the puck. Good but not elite. At one time he was a bit sloppy, uncompetitive at the defensive end. It saw him, among other reasons, run out of town in New York. But he got the memo. And picked up his attention and intensity to win his way back into the league. MDZ is fine. But not a difference maker. When Provorov and Ghost proved capable of handling the puck, he became expendable in Philly.

If we achieved one thing last year? We became a lot harder to play against in our end. Feared might be pushing it? But we were big and mobile. I am not so sure that is the case this year. We will score 8 or 15 more goals from the back end? Which is, I suppose incremental? We also lose an edge! It offsets any improvement offensively IMO.  Wiercioch is not the same presence as either Sbisa, or Tree. In spite of his size. Travis Green will have to coach some extra intensity into several players for us to be where we were last year on D.

Which is possible? If Edler hits everything that moves. Like he did in 2008. If a bigger and stronger Hutton wins some puck battles. Guddy starts to look more like a #3 overall pick? Comes back from injury assertive. And Wier gets the memo, battles to stay in the NHL. But those suggestions have to be seen before I can suggest we are improved. Those are coaching induced incremental improvements if they happen. Not personnel related ones, where we are not better on paper, on D, than last year.

We're better up front, quite a bit. Perhaps took a step back on D and in goal. Green will have to coach a lot into this team for us to pass, say, 80 points?

Thanks for the info on del Zotto.

How could I forget the loss of Tryamkin?  Sbisa is a solid bottom pair D in an overpaid sort of way.  He is easily out of his depth against better competition.  We may miss his physicality but little else.  Not to say he couldn't be a decent 2nd pair D if he got the mental side of the game together.

Other than that your analysis presents a lot of ifs.  Rightly so.  

If Edler......2008 was a long time ago.....but he'll be ok

If Hutton.......gets over his sophomore slump after putting on 25 lbs of bulk last off season......I'd like to think so

If Guddy...... plays the way we expected.....again, I'd like to think so

Archived