The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are you ok with trading veterans for picks?

J.I.A.H.N

I am just interested what veterans you would be ok trading from the start of the season to the TDL..........and we will not be trading the Sedin's.............and let's not argue about NTC's as we do know they are movable with consent of the player...............We will not trade everyone, but we "could" trade a few if the return is good. I just simply want to know which ones you would most be able to live without.......if you would like to put their values up, hey that's great, it is just for debate.........discussion!

Sutter...................................2nd + 3rd

Vanek...................................3rd

Gagner.................................2nd at the TDL

Burmistrov............................4th rounder

Baertschi..............................1-2nd + 1-3rd

Eder......................................late first at the TDL 0r 2-seconds

Del Zotto...............................3rd rounder

Dorsett..................................4th rounder

For sanity reasons, I will leave Tanev out of this one. and Eriksson won't be going anywhere $$$$

Heh, thanks!

I would trade any of them for the record! Am I high or low?

I'm OK trading anyone on your list  - vets or not - for the right price/deal.

That said,  I think it's been proven - most recently by Edm - that you need some vets on your team if you want to establish the right culture/atmosphere on your squad. 

I was thinking of a similar thread, Jan..glad you took the plunge.

There are so many variables here. Timing.. could we get prospects instead(partially developed, ala Burr/Jannik, etc...)?

How do injuries/health affect our direction?

********************************************************************************************************

Some teams have quite a paltry number of skaters, it appears:

(likely, many of their prospects fill some slots)

Wash  ..17 skaters(only 5 mill space left?)

Devils ..16/23

Flor  ..18/23

COL  ..18/23

Some of these teams will likely be picking quite high(2nd R, for example)

in principle sure, any move that makes the team better has to be considered including picks. I think Loui will be very movable in years 5 or 6 of his contract, and i think he'll get better utilization under Green as well. 

But honestly I'd prefer instead of the picks if Jim went out and got prospects instead. We still need a lot of quality depth in the 19-22 year old range and being a little bit accelerated on that would be really helpful too. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in principle sure, any move that makes the team better has to be considered including picks. I think Loui will be very movable in years 5 or 6 of his contract, and i think he'll get better utilization under Green as well. 

But honestly I'd prefer instead of the picks if Jim went out and got prospects instead. We still need a lot of quality depth in the 19-22 year old range and being a little bit accelerated on that would be really helpful too. 

That's why I liked the Goldobin and Dahlen acquisitions. We have enough veterans to move 1-3 of them and not be in the same position Edmonton was in years ago, and as long as the price is right then yeah, we should absolutely do it.

Just can't gut ourselves, and that's one reason to like Vanek at 1 year. and the Gagner and Del Zotto signings as well. 3 free players that might allow us to move someone for something a little bit easier in a few months time.

33 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That said,  I think it's been proven - most recently by Edm - that you need some vets on your team if you want to establish the right culture/atmosphere on your squad. 

Yup, I understand, and agree

But you have to have the right veterans too, and I am not sure these are the right guys....Time will tell, for sure.

My take on veteran leadership is players that never quit on the back check, commit to the small things........the Sedin's show commitment to preparation, not to other things, such as back checking........that is just for instance, so I think it matters, who is doing the teaching........(not that I don't love the Sedin's magic)...it is just an example.

50 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sutter...................................Keep - he lets Bo play in a more offensive role

Vanek...................................Negative value.  Hopefully we get rid of his lazy ass before the start of the season

Gagner.................................2nd at the TDL

Burmistrov............................4th rounder

Baertschi..............................Don't want to move unless it's a hockey deal for a similar quality D.

Eder......................................Low 1st/high 2nd

Del Zotto...............................5th.

Dorsett..................................Keep.  We're too soft even with him.

35 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

^ Conversely, if we sign Bo, Capfriendly would list us with 27/23 skaters. The highest number league-wide. Lots of excess. I'd like to cash some of it  ..IF, the price is right!

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree.....I do wonder if some of these teams will just wait and take our guys off the waver wire........I still think we are in good position, but I would think who ever we put on wavers gets looked at closely by the other teams.....which is probably why our rookies are sent down.......until the injuries show up!

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yup, I understand, and agree

But you have to have the right veterans too, and I am not sure these are the right guys....Time will tell, for sure.

My take on veteran leadership is players that never quit on the back check, commit to the small things........the Sedin's show commitment to preparation, not to other things, such as back checking........that is just for instance, so I think it matters, who is doing the teaching........(not that I don't love the Sedin's magic)...it is just an example.

There's a lot of truth to that.  Edmonton brought Lucic in and now Draisitl is acting like a gutless scumbag spearing multiple guys in the balls.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's a lot of truth to that.  Edmonton brought Lucic in and now Draisitl is acting like a gutless scumbag spearing multiple guys in the balls.

How do you really feel? lol.............sorry, the sound of your sarcasm in my head was funny! lol Guess it's not sarcasm, but it did sound funny!

57 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Maybe the Oilers didn't have the right young players in .Hall, RNH, and Eberle?  

Trade any, and all of the guys you listed.  Bo is a leader.  The guys will follow Bo to the Cup!  Go Bo Go!

People get hung up on 'we shouldn't trade players that we just signed cuz it will make the team a less desirable destination. The truth is the salary cap and the level of play of the young players coming into the league, is pushing more and more players out of the NHL. Players like Vanek signing for 2 mil aren't going to care about getting traded and any player that is stuck on a bottom feeder, is going to welcome a trade to a contender. Players are going to look at teams like the Canucks as a springboard to stay in the league and possibly get a trade deadline deal to a playoff team.

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

People get hung up on 'we shouldn't trade players that we just signed cuz it will make the team a less desirable destination. The truth is the salary cap and the level of play of the young players coming into the league, is pushing more and more players out of the NHL. Players like Vanek signing for 2 mil aren't going to care about getting traded and any player that is stuck on a bottom feeder, is going to welcome a trade to a contender. Players are going to look at teams like the Canucks as a springboard to stay in the league and possibly get a trade deadline deal to a playoff team.

Well said!

Trade as many from that list as possible for picks.  I prefer picks than former high picks that are not stalled in development...

With Picks we may hit a home run.

We are a rebuilding club and the more draft picks  / young assets we can acquire the better.

Have a team loaded with 28 to 32 year old washed up vets is really not the way for our club to move forward. 

Archived