The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The Sedins! (Proposal)

Will not be traded. Ever. Their value is not that high as age has caught up with them. They have no desire to leave and management has repeatedly stated they won't force a trade. They are loved by the city and they still bring fans to the arena which is worth more than anything that can be obtained in a trade.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to propose a trade strictly for hypothetical sake. If the Sedins were actually interested in a trade for the chance at a cup and what teams have the cap space and a need for both players. I believe there is only one team that fits that criteria and that is Montreal.

Montreal has cap space (8.46 mil at the moment with 23 players under contract) a short term cap dump that could come back in Plekanec, and are in need of help with forwards. They also dont have many prospects so aquiring better players such as Duchene is out of their reach. Henrik would likely be their second line center but if Galchenyuk can't hold down his position as a C, may get moved up to the first line. Daniel would be their second line left wing and doesnt have much competition for that spot. Montreal is in a position to win now. Weber and Price's contract are long and expensive and will be anchors in a few years so this is their time to go for it. They could try to get the 2 back on cheaper contracts after this year if it goes well

Canucks

Henrik 50% retained, Daniel, 4th round pick

Canadiens 

Plekanec, Scherbak, 1st round pick

Plekanec is only for 1 year and just off sets cap while filling a roster spot. Scherbak is a 21 year old fairly big right wing prospect with some offensive upside. Would spend another year or two in the ahl before coming up permanently. Gives us more depth in a position that we could use it. Finally 1st is going to likely be a late one but it's another chance at finding young talent

All hypothetical on a situation that would never happen in the real world. Seen the trades offers that have been posted recently and figured I'd propose something a little more realistic in the fantasy world

9 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Canucks

Henrik 50% retained, Daniel, 4th round pick

Canadiens 

Plekanec, Scherbak, 1st round pick

Hypothetically if we were to trade the Sedins it would be at the trade deadline.

A "fantasy deal" with the Rangers would be ideal, they would fit nicely there with Alian Vigneault.

If we could pry Lias Andersson from them i would be ecstatic.

Day dreaming of course...traded at the deadline and brought back on a 1 year deal next year.

As for the proposal, i would be ok with draft picks and Scherbak but not Plekanec and i'm not fond on seeing them in another Canadian jersey. 

3 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

Hypothetically if we were to trade the Sedins it would be at the trade deadline.

A "fantasy deal" with the Rangers would be ideal, they would fit nicely there with Alian Vigneault.

If we could pry Lias Andersson from them i would be ecstatic.

Day dreaming of course...traded at the deadline and brought back on a 1 year deal next year.

As for the proposal, i would be ok with draft picks and Scherbak but not Plekanec and i'm not fond on seeing them in another Canadian jersey. 

Plekanec is strictly for cap purposes on a one year deal.

I'm still a little bitter towards the Rangers for 94 and seeing the Sedins in their jersey be heartbreaking. Would be good to see them reunite with coach V and go for one last cup though. Sadly it's near impossible given the cap.

Once upon a time the Rangers would have drooled over a couple of aging stars but they seem to be over that now

2 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

What are the point of these threads since we know it will never happen. EVER.

The proposals people make when trading the Sedins always seem to be extremely one sided for the Canucks.

It's hypothetical. It's not necessarily supposed to be probable.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's hypothetical. It's not necessarily supposed to be probable.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe add a hypothetical reason why a trade might happen, or a proposal is pointless. Like a team with cap space on the bubble that wants to make the playoffs?

Even include some reason(s) why the Sedins would consider waiving. Something beyond, "they want a chance to wing the Cup before they retire...". Frankly, if they were that concerned about just winning the Cup then they could have left town for greener pastures a number of years ago. :)

regards,  G.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe add a hypothetical reason why a trade might happen, or a proposal is pointless. Like a team with cap space on the bubble that wants to make the playoffs?

"Montreal has cap space (8.46 mil at the moment with 23 players under contract) a short term cap dump that could come back in Plekanec, and are in need of help with forwards. They also dont have many prospects so aquiring better players such as Duchene is out of their reach. Henrik would likely be their second line center but if Galchenyuk can't hold down his position as a C, may get moved up to the first line. Daniel would be their second line left wing and doesnt have much competition for that spot. Montreal is in a position to win now. Weber and Price's contract are long and expensive and will be anchors in a few years so this is their time to go for it. They could try to get the 2 back on cheaper contracts after this year if it goes well"

That was all within the topic you commented on and clearly didn't read. Also any topic for potential trades on a website are technically pointless. They have no impact on the nhl's gm's

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Even include some reason(s) why the Sedins would consider waiving. Something beyond, "they want a chance to wing the Cup before they retire...". Frankly, if they were that concerned about just winning the Cup then they could have left town for greener pastures a number of years ago. :)

regards,  G.

I explained in the post that the Sedins have no interest in leaving and won't get traded. The whole premise of this topic was to discuss if they were interested in leaving who could theoretically trade for them

4 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

"Montreal has cap space (8.46 mil at the moment with 23 players under contract) a short term cap dump that could come back in Plekanec, and are in need of help with forwards. They also dont have many prospects so aquiring better players such as Duchene is out of their reach. Henrik would likely be their second line center but if Galchenyuk can't hold down his position as a C, may get moved up to the first line. Daniel would be their second line left wing and doesnt have much competition for that spot. Montreal is in a position to win now. Weber and Price's contract are long and expensive and will be anchors in a few years so this is their time to go for it. They could try to get the 2 back on cheaper contracts after this year if it goes well"

That was all within the topic you commented on and clearly didn't read. Also any topic for potential trades on a website are technically pointless. They have no impact on the nhl's gm's

I explained in the post that the Sedins have no interest in leaving and won't get traded. The whole premise of this topic was to discuss if they were interested in leaving who could theoretically trade for them

Yup, got that from what you wrote, chum. :)

What I was getting at is why not add a hypothetical reason or two as to just why the Sedins would be willing to waive? Find a something which actually makes sense (beyond, a supposed desire to win a Cup), rather than merely presenting us with, "Well, the Sedins agree to be traded so now let's discuss what the Canucks could get for them".

For me, not including this part of the equation diminishes the topic of discussion. And there are already a lot of "what if's" attached to any potential move of these guys.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Yup, got that from what you wrote, chum. :)

What I was getting at is why not add a hypothetical reason or two as to just why the Sedins would be willing to waive? Find a something which actually makes sense (beyond, a supposed desire to win a Cup), rather than merely presenting us with, "Well, the Sedins agree to be traded so now let's discuss what the Canucks could get for them".

For me, not including this part of the equation diminishes the topic of discussion. And there are already a lot of "what if's" attached to any potential move of these guys.

regards,  G.

That's fair. To be honest it's hard to find much of a reason for them to want to go other than cup aspirations. No former team mates to play with. Coaching staff are unfamiliar. There isn't a single significant Swede on the squad.

The best reasons I could see them going to Montreal are 

Less travel time. Sedins are getting up there and Vancouver is brutal for how far they have to go to get from game to game

Cold weather. Sedins might not mind the cold since they grew up in Sweden

Playing in a big market. Vancouver gets a lot of media attention and the Sedins seem to enjoy it for the most part. It's possible that pressure may actually appeal to them.

I know I'm reaching with those last two but it's the best I could come up with...

The canucks are in no mans land with them still on the team 

sounds like they gonna resign them after this year again

canucks never gonna win the cup they reload instead of rebuild 

if it helps ur family to trade them just do it and  no loyalty to nobody just business 

Ppl Talking like the sedins are god even gretzky got traded who are sedins again 

lets watch them retire with nothing no cups no player in return no picks nothing yay let's be loyal 

petty sure canucks help them with pay cheque ever year so who's helping who stop be selfish ask for a trade 

1 hour ago, tiny said:

We all know sedins are not going any where but can we just have a little fun ppl why so serious 

1 hour ago, tiny said:

The canucks are in no mans land with them still on the team 

sounds like they gonna resign them after this year again

canucks never gonna win the cup they reload instead of rebuild 

if it helps ur family to trade them just do it and  no loyalty to nobody just business 

56 minutes ago, tiny said:

Ppl Talking like the sedins are god even gretzky got traded who are sedins again 

lets watch them retire with nothing no cups no player in return no picks nothing yay let's be loyal 

petty sure canucks help them with pay cheque ever year so who's helping who stop be selfish ask for a trade 

I was about to give a response to these, but I have a plate of really yummy stroganoff in front of me so you'll have to wait. :)

regards,  G.

Sedin's will end there career a Vancouver canuck , but i guess daydreaming can be tolerated, but like others have said, benning wont trade em, and sedins have also said they want to finish here in Vancouver, so we stuck with them till they retire ( guess thats not a bad thing ) even if they only manage 40-50pts a season ...once our 1st round pick Elias Pettersson ) in this years draft is closer to the NHL, sedins will be there to help guide Elias Pettersson in the near future :)

3 hours ago, tiny said:

Buddy 18 years they played got pass the second round once and paid them top dollar that's a joke Stanley cup run all Kessler 

The twins are way to soft can't lead a team ryan kesler was the $&!# does every thing  hits block shot score back check fights that's how u lead Real deal captain 

ever since he left where are the twins now couple pussy no push back bitches 

That real deal captain demanded a trade and used his full trade to name only a few teams he wanted to go for. Loved him for the way he plays the game and especially the Nashville series. Hate him for handicapping the Canucks on a return they could get.

Part of the reason I admire the Sedins is for their loyalty to the team

Ya only cause he didn't get along with John Tortorella 

Even loungo wanted out worst coach ever gong show ever time 

can't even blame kesler for wanting to leave 

Kesler was playing with mason ramond and Chris Higgins for crying out loud still put on a show if he had a twin brother I pick them over sedins

Archived