The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Canucks sign Scottie Upshall to a PTO

Adarsh Sant

i like watching what he did for the blues. he is physical and competes hard

it is more bodies for china and people might look at this as "wow more vets getting ice time", but realistically upshall and white are in direct competition with virtanen for the 4th line...and i mean if virtanen, or any young players for that matter, cant out play those two in camp then go home kid 

BUT virt will make the team outta camp. i cant see him not being the most motivated player in that room to prove people wrong

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

BUT virt will make the team outta camp. i cant see him not being the most motivated player in that room to prove people wrong

I'm willing to bet that ALL players signed by NHL clubs, especially young players, are motivated to play in the NHL. The problem is that motivation only gets you so far, as motivation can't teach hockey IQ.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm willing to bet that ALL players signed by NHL clubs, especially young players, are motivated to play in the NHL. The problem is that motivation only gets you so far, as motivation can't teach hockey IQ.

this is true but doesnt mean he cant get in on the fore check, create havoc and drive to the net. 

There is nothing wrong with adding players on PTOs. It creates competition, which is good. Upshall has great skating ability and isn't afraid to get in the dirty areas. He is also a decent penalty killer, which would be beneficial for the Canucks (if he makes it on the fourth line), seeing how they were ranked 28th in the league last season.

I would say Benning is taking the team in the right direction. Special teams is something the Canucks needed to make an improvement on. They went ahead and got Newell Brown, added scorers like Vanek and Gagner, and now possibly Upshall, White and maybe a few more guys.

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Younger faster says the coach.....not so fast says the gm

I think WD was a little weak in the knees toward making the tough calls. I know we expect the worst about our team since championships have been hard to come by, but competition in camp is never a bad thing, especially when it's only a PTO. Remember B-Mo? He was let go and ended up in Calgary. Another vet just puts a little pressure on everybody to dig their blades in a little deeper at camp. If we had 3 or 4 young dudes that were guaranteed to make the team then these tryouts, and perhaps some of the other signings, would be redundant. The truth is the majority of our youth are still bubble guys and there's nothing wrong with taking our time with them.  

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I think WD was a little weak in the knees toward making the tough calls. I know we expect the worst about our team since championships have been hard to come by, but competition in camp is never a bad thing, especially when it's only a PTO. Remember B-Mo? He was let go and ended up in Calgary. Another vet just puts a little pressure on everybody to dig their blades in a little deeper at camp. If we had 3 or 4 young dudes that were guaranteed to make the team then these tryouts, and perhaps some of the other signings, would be redundant. The truth is the majority of our youth are still bubble guys and there's nothing wrong with taking our time with them.  

its weird that nobody sees the humour in a interview a day earlier a coach stating he wants the team to be younger and faster and he said the same thing when he got hired yet the gm has really made this an older and slower team.again. Yeah it's a pto and by design it's to drive the young guys and help with the ridiculous  trip to china but man it's the same issues coach says one thing managment does another. Atleast appear to be on the same page. 

Green is familiar with the younth yet the youth will not be on his team. 

Anything to keep this team from a steady dose of Megna again.

Seriously though, if makes it then fine. the young guys can develop, bond in Utica and be worked into the team when they are ready. Upshall, Vanek and Wiercioch could fetch some picks at the TDL if the Canucks fall out of the hunt.

2 minutes ago, combover said:

its weird that nobody sees the humour in a interview a day earlier a coach stating he wants the team to be younger and faster and he said the same thing when he got hired yet the gm has really made this an older and slower team.again. Yeah it's a pto and by design it's to drive the young guys and help with the ridiculous  trip to china but man it's the same issues coach says one thing managment does another. Atleast appear to be on the same page. 

Green is familiar with the younth yet the youth will not be on his team. 

I get what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned the 2 spots that JB mentioned are still up for grabs by 2 of Rodin, Boeser, Virtanen, and Goldobin. I don't expect all 4 to be ready to make the team, but if they truly are then I'd call that a good problem to have in a months time.

Archived