The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | Young Stars Classic | Sept. 08, 2017 | 7:30 PM PT

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't see Molino as an NHL player, to be honest.

Best of the randoms is hardly a singing endorsement.  I do like how he plays though.  Will be good to see if there is anything there.  Given his skill set would look to Hansen type player as goal.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Ohlund was a bear of a man, and if Olli can attain that level of dman, we have a great player.  I see Olli more like a Paul Reinhart.  A very skilful, puck mover, with extremely high sense.

Lets hope so...there definitely seems to be a level of concern about his play last night.

50 minutes ago, cyoung said:

What did you see that was so bad? Lol

I was more commenting on the general reviews about the game (Botchford,Province).....He did get turnstiled a couple of times.....and his play was a bit casual in a couple of sequences....However,I'm not putting too much stock into his play in this tournament,the pro pre-season games will give us the real indication of where he's at.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Carcone played with "truculence".   He looks like a solid bet to make Utica.   A bit small but plays nicely big.

He was probably Green's favorite rookie last year. He played a lot of games. He could get a cup of coffee in the NHL this year if we have enough injuries. He will improve on his point total in the AHL. 

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

When you get someone to go outside and you limit any options for movement of the puck to the inside, I don't consider that getting "beat" but we all look at things differently.   

Dont get me wrong, I love OJ, but he got caught flat footed twice and got burned.  Fortunately he also made many many more great plays.

Briesboise looked solid u can see the tanev comparisons.  Liked stukels skating as well. Lind/BB obviously a cut above. Moynihan looled decent too.  Who was thay winnipwg d man Liki (sp?) He was rad. Fun game. Love this time of year. 

4 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Lets hope so...there definitely seems to be a level of concern about his play last night.

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I was more commenting on the general reviews about the game (Botchford,Province).....He did get turnstiled a couple of times.....and his play was a bit casual in a couple of sequences....However,I'm not putting too much stock into his play in this tournament,the pro pre-season games will give us the real indication of where he's at.

Hahaha, botchford.  

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Like OJ, he was ok........cruise control

OJ was okay bordering on poor. The poise that everyone talked about was only there in moment, most of the game he was simply going glass and out, or passing the puck into the skates or behind his teamates. Defensively admittedly he was very good, but with the puck he was nothing special. 

Boeser I agree was playing to get the game over, but when he got the puck and decided to do something with it, it almost wasn't fair. 

Just now, Zhukini said:

OJ was okay bordering on poor. The poise that everyone talked about was only there in moment, most of the game he was simply going glass and out, or passing the puck into the skates or behind his teamates. Defensively admittedly he was very good, but with the puck he was nothing special. 

Boeser I agree was playing to get the game over, but when he got the puck and decided to do something with it, it almost wasn't fair. 

The thing about OJ is he makes very difficult plays look ridiculously easy.  He got burned twice, but I can recall 7-8 very subtle plays where I caught  myself saying "holy crap, how did he do that?", plays that a lot of people miss or don't realize the vision it requires to make those plays.  

He's a technical player, thats clear........when he starts playing with players who are where they are supposed to be, all the time, you'll see how good he really is.  That's what happened last year.

Choppy game. No real flow (summer legs?) Sevugly was asking for trouble all game long finally Carcone answered him, finally. Olie looks like Lumme (near disinterested then BAM breaks out fast)  Olie should go back to Europe and refine his offense (looks like he was trying to score ie pressing to score)

When he got beat that wasn't good NHL forwards would eat that up. 

Rathbone was getting run a lot ie Tanev treatment. Looks like a good offensive defenseman they were targeting.

Lind with a quietly huge game. 3 points.

With a bloated Canuck roster I wonder if its taken the steam out of a lot of the rookies.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Choppy game. No real flow (summer legs?) Sevugly was asking for trouble all game long finally Carcone answered him, finally. Olie looks like Lumme (near disinterested then BAM breaks out fast)  Olie should go back to Europe and refine his offense (looks like he was trying to score ie pressing to score)

When he got beat that wasn't good NHL forwards would eat that up. 

Rathbone was getting run a lot ie Tanev treatment. Looks like a good offensive defenseman they were targeting.

Lind with a quietly huge game. 3 points.

With a bloated Canuck roster I wonder if its taken the steam out of a lot of the rookies.

Did he play? 

11 hours ago, xereau said:

I went to the game, will try to give a basic rundown of what I saw:

Brock Boeser:  He was playing the system for SURE.  He was 3rd man back most of the night.  He dominated puck retrieval and he made that move to the upper slot coming into the zone many times and the ice just magically opened up for him.  That snapshot from the upper slot that hit the crossbar was a laser beam.

Olli Juolevi:  His play was not flashy.  But he stopped the put at the blueline at least a dozen times.  The massive shots on goal differential at the end was not because of the forward group, let me put it this way.  He was not caught out of position, he carries the puck up the ice very smoothly, and he does not panic.  And he jumped into the play several times, once had a clear lane to the net.

Kole Lind:  Three points, and was quietly dominant. He had a way of being around the puck when it went in.  He scored the last goal into an empty net, but it wasn't a gift, he dug it out deep and earned it.

Thatcher Demko:  The first goal he let in he couldn't see.  Second was short handed.  He made a bunch of close range fast reaction five alarm saves, and stopped a few wing rush stuff attempts.  He was good when he had to be.  He plays the puck A LOT, better get used to it.  But he is also really good at it, and cool headed.

Zack MacEwan:  This guy is the real deal, guys.  Big, fast, and mean.  He was probably the best forward on the ice last night.  He did all of the work for Brock on the boards, and up the middle.  I am very interested in seeing what he can do at the main camp.  He has 4th line center written all over him.

Griffen Molino:  Yeah he scored a PP goal.  But he reminds me of Mason Raymond.  He hogs the puck and skates a million miles an hour..... around the perimeter.  Do not be surprised to see him in Utica, for life.

Guillaume Brisebois:  Effortless skater and was as good as OJ at just stopping the play dead on the boards at the blueline.  He stuffed the Jets forwards all night. 

Jonah Gadjovich:  He was good.  Hard on the puck all night but his best period was the first. He kind of disappeared after a really dominant start.  This guy is a sleeper, watch for him in the future.

Jakob Stukel:  A little grinder with heart.

Michael Carcone:  He went after Mathieu Sevigny, who was headhunting with full speed blueline charges all night, and beat the crap out of him.  Major props for this.

I agree with an awful lot of this, but I disagree on a few mostly minor points:

Juloevi: I think overall he had a very good game, but he was beat a couple of times in the third.  Not the end of the world, but something he can work on.  His hockey sense was great and he jumped into the rush at exactly the right times.  He made some very nice plays and did a whole bunch of the 'little things' right.

Carcone: He really only knocked Sevigny down, but he did show grit and deserves props for it.

Molino: thanks for saying that.  I thought he didn't look that impressive, but I had a hard time describing exactly why.  You have very eloquently described my thoughts on his play tonight.

Brisebois: you are right, he was the best defensive defence man on the ice.  Chatfield was a solid two way d-man and Juolevi showed occasional flashes of having some brilliance to his game.  I think a lot of people underestimate the value of Mackenzie Stewart - he was a very solid hard nosed d-man, but is not the guy to dish the puck to in the o-zone - hands are not his strong point.  I would have liked to see him throw a few more hits or drop the mits, it's more suited to his game.  Brisebois is the kind of guy that might make Tanev redundant though.

Archived