The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interviewed by Bob McKenzie

Goat James

Great interview by McKenzie, however ya dropped the ball on the thread :P

They seemed to spend the most time on individual players, so I'll start there:

Forwards:

- Confirms 10 forwards are locks: Sedin, Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Eriksson, Sutter, Vanek, Gagner, Dorsett

- A lot of time on Virtanen. Says he was kept that one year because of a lack of depth. Have to be patient, see him as a powerforward and those take time. Doesn't look out of place amongst men, played his best hockey after world juniors. 

- They identified Molino as a guy who could come in and replace Hansen's speed. Top 9 guy good in both ends, scouted by Smyl.

-  Likes Burmistrov from scouting junior days in Barrie, N. Brown liked him as a powerplay guy. Sees Burmistrov as a playmaking centre. 

- Goldobin, could impress will be given games, has proven self at AHL level

- Boucher has a 'great shot', scoring forward. Wants to see him in excellent shape in camp, 'put it together'

- Boeser looked good at the end of last season. Great in both zones, lethal from the circle down. exceptional shot

- Dahlen sick for another 2-3 weeks, wants strength back before coming to NA, expects to start in Utica, get used to NA game

Defense:

- He confirms with McKenzie that Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Stecher, MDZ are the set top 6

- Likes Wiercioch, big with a shot

- MDZ finds ways to get pucks through

- Biega, what you see is what you get, tough, works hard

- Holm, great skater, able to move the puck up the ice, find open man

- Juolevi 'will get a lot of preseason games', asked about a 9 game stint, Benning likes the idea. He's really close, want to see how he handles new body

- Pedan hungry for a spot, 'we're not lacking depth' 

Goaltending

- Loves Demko, wants to develop him 'the right way', which may include leaving him down there. Though Benning does say he could play some games with the Canucks, which would mean vaulting Bachman. 

- Markstrom/Nilsson split will be up to the coach in terms of games played. Sees Markstrom as starter heading in, thinks he had some bad luck last year. 

- Liked Nilsson in Buffalo, thought he had a good season. Big, fills net.

Misc:

In an ideal world, Benning would want a right shot power play defenseman. Thinks the Canucks will be successful if 4 lines are scoring. Sees 8-10 guys in Utica that could make it, many listed above. Bringing in a new coach, has connections with guys trying out, could create spots. Lists MacEwen among guys in Utica as added depth, and possible NHL time. Rodin wasn't really mentioned, neither was Subban. Says PTO guys will create competition, push guys. Asked about the remaining 2M in cap, didn't see a use for it. 

If anything else comes to me, I'll edit. Not to be a d*ck, but I've seen it a lot lately. Please, please, make an actual effort if you want a thread to create discussion.

55 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

If anything else comes to me, I'll edit. Not to be a d*ck, but I've seen it a lot lately. Please, please, make an actual effort if you want a thread to create discussion.

Outta rep, but thanks Ossi! You the real MVP!

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Reading between the lines I am less sure Boeser is going to start the season here (barring injury).

Also Gagner being the first one to be tried with the Sedins is a surprise.  I kind of thought iBoeser would go there and Gagner on 3rd line wth Sutter.

That was my suggestion when he was signed.

3 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

James M. Banning (June 11, 1865 – October 14, 1952) was a catcher in Major League Baseball in the 19th century. He played for the Washington Nationals of the National League. He appeared in one game in 1888 and two games in 1889 for the Nationals. Banning's minor league career included stints with the Fargo, ND teams of the Red River Valley League in both the 1887 and 1897 seasons. He also appeared in a 25-inning contest for Fargo against Grand Forks, ND in 1891.[1]

Jim Banning.jpg

Wow, JB is really looking good for his age! Lol

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting... maybe there's an antiviral treatment for mono now? it must not be that bad for him right now anyway if he's flying. I'm sure the people on his flight are trilled :lol:

They're injecting him with adimantium.

Pretty sure at least...

1 hour ago, SuitnTie said:

Benning also mentioned he'd like to sign Petterson next summer and if his training goes right could be in the Canucks line up. 

I think that's optimistic.  I mean in the line up next year.  

I think the debate would be whether to have Petterson play 2 years in the SEL or 1 SEL and 1 AHL.  I'd hate to see him hurt by some career minor league knuckle dragger if he's not big enough

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ossi to the rescue  :bigblush:  Somebody has to hold CDC to account

Lots of questions about the team.  Mostly we'll see who wants it the most in camp and the first part of the season.  There's 8-10 players who will likely make NHLers at some point who are going to be in Utica.  Any one of them could make the roster this season.

My impression was that Benning didn't want to say he expected Boeser to make the team (even if he does) since there are so many who might make the team, somebody is sure to surprise (like Stecher did last year)

Jim just rattled off all of those prospects names, and it literally made my eyes bulge out, half from forgetting we have so many good young guys, half from realizing we have so many good young guys!   This is the best crop of young talent this team has had in a long time, if not ever.  He is doing a great job restocking the pantry, and bringing in some quality veterans to teach the right way to approach the game.  The competition is going to be fierce at camp.  This is what makes a team come together.

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Sedin Sedin Gagne 

Beartchi Horvat Vanek 

Eriksson Brumistrov Granlund 

Bouchier Sutter Rodin 

Gaunce Dorset Molino 

Edler Stetcher

Hutton Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson 

Markstrom 

Nielson 

The team isn't going to carry 3 extra forwards and only 6 D 

9 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Forwards:

- Confirms 10 forwards are locks: Sedin, Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Eriksson, Sutter, Vanek, Gagner, Dorsett

- A lot of time on Virtanen. Says he was kept that one year because of a lack of depth. Have to be patient, see him as a powerforward and those take time. Doesn't look out of place amongst men, played his best hockey after world juniors. 

- They identified Molino as a guy who could come in and replace Hansen's speed. Top 9 guy good in both ends, scouted by Smyl.

-  Likes Burmistrov from scouting junior days in Barrie, N. Brown liked him as a powerplay guy. Sees Burmistrov as a playmaking centre. 

- Goldobin, could impress will be given games, has proven self at AHL level

- Boucher has a 'great shot', scoring forward. Wants to see him in excellent shape in camp, 'put it together'

- Boeser looked good at the end of last season. Great in both zones, lethal from the circle down. exceptional shot

- Dahlen sick for another 2-3 weeks, wants strength back before coming to NA, expects to start in Utica, get used to NA game

Defense:

- He confirms with McKenzie that Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Stecher, MDZ are the set top 6

- Likes Wiercioch, big with a shot

- MDZ finds ways to get pucks through

- Biega, what you see is what you get, tough, works hard

- Holm, great skater, able to move the puck up the ice, find open man

- Juolevi 'will get a lot of preseason games', asked about a 9 game stint, Benning likes the idea. He's really close, want to see how he handles new body

- Pedan hungry for a spot, 'we're not lacking depth' 

Goaltending

- Loves Demko, wants to develop him 'the right way', which may include leaving him down there. Though Benning does say he could play some games with the Canucks, which would mean vaulting Bachman. 

- Markstrom/Nilsson split will be up to the coach in terms of games played. Sees Markstrom as starter heading in, thinks he had some bad luck last year. 

- Liked Nilsson in Buffalo, thought he had a good season. Big, fills net.

Misc:

In an ideal world, Benning would want a right shot power play defenseman. Thinks the Canucks will be successful if 4 lines are scoring. Sees 8-10 guys in Utica that could make it, many listed above. Bringing in a new coach, has connections with guys trying out, could create spots. Lists MacEwen among guys in Utica as added depth, and possible NHL time. Rodin wasn't really mentioned, neither was Subban. Says PTO guys will create competition, push guys. Asked about the remaining 2M in cap, didn't see a use for it. 

GOAT

Archived