The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks | Young Stars Classic | Sept. 10, 2017 | 2:00 PM PT

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Boeser looked good in the highlights..defense looked mediocre on both sides. Our D prospects looked like they had been doing a lot of luck watching. 

**opinion solely based off highlights 

Both Boeser and OJ had a cpl good plsys, but both had poor games overall

13 hours ago, stawns said:

Can't really say about the Calgary, as he saw very little action.   

I think the thing I found most disturbing was how visibly intimidated the Canucks were in this game.  It was very reminiscent of the playoff series a few years ago.  

Exactly. Calgary was throwing their weight around quite a bit by the end of the game. Not much pushback. With the score out of hand I thought the Canucks would play more physical to show the coach something in the way of their battle. It was a young group overall but there were still some Utica candidates who should have stepped up. 

Was at the game, seemed like the whole game was played in the nucks end. Juolevi got walked a few times, and expected more from Boeser. Really hoping they both look better in main camp. Both of them need to get faster as does Gadjovic and Juolevi really needs to up his compete level and physical game. Liked Laplante, and MacEwan. Brisebois looks like he has some potential. Really missed Chatfield out there, probably our best d-man.

2 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Was at the game, seemed like the whole game was played in the nucks end. Juolevi got walked a few times, and expected more from Boeser. Really hoping they both look better in main camp. Both of them need to get faster as does Gadjovic and Juolevi really needs to up his compete level and physical game. Liked Laplante, and MacEwan. Brisebois looks like he has some potential. Really missed Chatfield out there, probably our best d-man.

I would agree with that recap, though I thought Gadjovich was one of the better Canucks, along with Lind and Stukel.  MacEwan has been a real nice surprise, I hope he's not concussed after the big hit, I want to see what he can do against NHL competition.

I said, before the tourney started, that I wasn't expecting much and wasn't going to judge BB and OJ based on this tournament.  I expect both will be better at main camp and in pre-season.  That said, i think it's pretty clear that neither are ready for the NHL quite yet.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Both Boeser and OJ had a cpl good plsys, but both had poor games overall

I can't say either looked like they were trying though.  OJ got caught out for it, likely surprised by a couple guys' speed but that's an easy adjustment.  Brock was just playing shinny and seemed to be playing keep away at times.

Not to worried about either's performances.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I would agree with that recap, though I thought Gadjovich was one of the better Canucks, along with Lind and Stukel.  MacEwan has been a real nice surprise, I hope he's not concussed after the big hit, I want to see what he can do against NHL competition.

I said, before the tourney started, that I wasn't expecting much and wasn't going to judge BB and OJ based on this tournament.  I expect both will be better at main camp and in pre-season.  That said, i think it's pretty clear that neither are ready for the NHL quite yet.

Yeah I like Gadjovic. If he can up his explosiveness he's going to be a handful one he makes the NHL imo. Seems like every time MacEwan has the puck he makes something happens.

30 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I can't say either looked like they were trying though.  OJ got caught out for it, likely surprised by a couple guys' speed but that's an easy adjustment.  Brock was just playing shinny and seemed to be playing keep away at times.

Not to worried about either's performances.

agree completely

5 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Yeah I like Gadjovic. If he can up his explosiveness he's going to be a handful one he makes the NHL imo. Seems like every time MacEwan has the puck he makes something happens.

For a non-drafted UFA signing, MacEwan looks to be a steal.  The kid could easily become a middle six player for us.

8 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

down the road a few years

Gad MacEwan Lind

I like the looks of that line

Watched the highlights and it wasn't the bestest of performances from the baby Canucks. Wasn't as strong as the 1st tourney game. Flames kept coming in waves and we got beat. Laplante looked invisible in the games he played for Utica last year but he's showed up in a big way in first couple games here. He was driving to the net and playing with grit, prowess and meaning. Played with heart which I like seeing from most of our players. Irving has been solid as well in our backend. He could be solid depth for Utica and big club this upcoming season. Great awareness on his goal to keep it in and getting it on net which ended up going in. Most of the team came up flat in this one. All Flames from the get go but great to see the fight back the baby Canucks showed. I'm looking forward to catching the next one as I'm back from a tiring but worthwhile trip. 

8 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Watched the highlights and it wasn't the bestest of performances from the baby Canucks. Wasn't as strong as the 1st tourney game. Flames kept coming in waves and we got beat. Laplante looked invisible in the games he played for Utica last year but he's showed up in a big way in first couple games here. He was driving to the net and playing with grit, prowess and meaning. Played with heart which I like seeing from most of our players. Irving has been solid as well in our backend. He could be solid depth for Utica and big club this upcoming season. Great awareness on his goal to keep it in and getting it on net which ended up going in. Most of the team came up flat in this one. All Flames from the get go but great to see the fight back the baby Canucks showed. I'm looking forward to catching the next one as I'm back from a tiring but worthwhile trip. 

there was little to no pushback if you watched the games.  The Canucks looked scared and completely intimidated.  That said, I think there was a big age difference between the two teams with a lot of Stockton guys on the Flames and a lot of guys right out of JR on the Nucks.  Still, it was disappointing to see

On 9/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, Rocksterh8 said:

If you see his first post, it wasn't just a different view, he was trolling me and putting me down. I just responded to his distasteful remarks about me. 

You really need to read these from the beginning before assuming things.

I started assuming things when you were a prick.

Archived