[Proposal] VAN-EDM for PULJU

Blömqvist

To Edmonton

Tanev

Goldobin

To Vancouver

Fayne

Puljujarvi

The Oilers get an elite shutdown shot-suppressing defenseman who can move the puck quickly to their forwards. Their top-4 defence for now and the foreseeable future include Larsson, Klefbom, Tanev, and Nurse. Tanev and Nurse could potentially be their shutdown pairing, allowing Klefbom and Larsson to focus primarily on offence. By including Goldobin in the deal, the Oilers also get a young potential top-6 winger on an ELC to replace the loss of Puljujarvi. This will help with Edmonton's cap issues moving forward once McDavid's lucrative contract comes into effect.

The Canucks get a body to use as a depth defenseman for this year only in Fayne. The real prize here for Vancouver is that we acquire a potential elite 1st line winger, with size, speed, skill, and hockey IQ. Vancouver would then have multiple elite game breakers offensively in Pettersson, Boeser, and Puljujarvi.

The Canucks could potentially have a top-9 of this in a few years:

Dahlen - Petterson - Puljujarvi

Virtanen - Horvat - Boeser

Gadjovich - Gaudette - Lind

2 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I think Tanev is a big part of our future and I don't want to help EDM win a cup so I have no interest in this deal personally.

As much as I like the guy, he is  27 turning 28 this year. He has been injury prone and has never played north of 70 games in a season.

It's time to let go bud, as much as I dont like the idea of an Oilers trade this benefits us both. By the time we are actually competitive Tanev will be on his down hill.

Oilers best shot to win a cup is this year IMO before McDavids contract kicks in. They can get the right rental players and win it.

31 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

As much as I like the guy, he is  27 turning 28 this year. He has been injury prone and has never played north of 70 games in a season.

It's time to let go bud, as much as I dont like the idea of an Oilers trade this benefits us both. By the time we are actually competitive Tanev will be on his down hill.

Oilers best shot to win a cup is this year IMO before McDavids contract kicks in. They can get the right rental players and win it.

If we are competitive in 3-4 years Tanev will be 31-32  at that time we will need a veteran on the blue line and Tanev is that guy.

If the Oilers win the cup all I ask is that it is not because we gave them their missing piece.

As many have said ..."If you trade a Tanev, your left needing a Tanev".

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Tanev and Nurse could potentially be their shutdown pairing, allowing Klefbom and Larsson to focus primarily on offence. By including Goldobin in the deal, the Oilers also get a young potential top-6 winger on an ELC to replace the loss of Puljujarvi. This will help with Edmonton's cap issues moving forward once McDavid's lucrative contract comes into effect.

Larsson has a career high of 24 points. He's a shut down defensemen as well and makes Tanev redundant for them. If anything Edmonton needs a pp quarterback.

Also Tanev causes problems for their cap, not fix them. If pool party becomes unaffordable at some point they'll trade him then.

Values there in my eyes but Edmonton says no

Why would the oilers pay so much for a 2nd pairing guy for them (he probably wouldn't break up klefbom and Larson as they show good chemistry). Taney is way more valuable to us than he is to the oilers. Oilers probably want a cheap two way guy to play with russel, like stetcher or Hutton. 

imo oilers are more likely to deal rnh for a defensemen rather than a top 6 winger with 2 more years of elc. 

They aren't trading Puljujarvi and if they were other teams could field better offers. Although not sure how many of them have the space to absorb Fayne's contract. Ends this year though no? They aren't that desperate for cap til next year and Puljujarvi's contract will likely be cheap. Last year of his ELC, likely signs cheap bridge deal after. 

• 3 weeks later...

Heard on SN650 today they were talking about a hypothetical trade of Tanev for Nugent-Hopkins.

I don't love the idea of trading Tanev but here's what would be worth it imo:

To EDM:

Chris Tanev

To VAN:

RNH, Caleb Jones

EDM needs to unload RNH as he takes up way to much cap space and his position is redundant in their line-up.

The addition of Tanev means next year they can buy-out Sekera (3 more years @ 5.5 million per year w/ no move clause for a 32 year 5/6 defencemen) and that's another contract off their books (total of 7.05 million added cap after both the trade and buyout are done).

Canucks get RNH who could play behind horvat when the sedins retire, and they get a 20 year old D prospect who has scored big points in Junior.

Oilers overpay here but only because their hands are tied with needing to unload RNH and Sekera contracts. Canucks dont need to deal tanev so they have all the leverage to command as much as possible

Archived