The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-EDM for PULJU

Blömqvist

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Heard on SN650 today they were talking about a hypothetical trade of Tanev for Nugent-Hopkins.

I don't love the idea of trading Tanev but here's what would be worth it imo:

To EDM:

Chris Tanev

To VAN:

RNH, Caleb Jones

EDM needs to unload RNH as he takes up way to much cap space and his position is redundant in their line-up.

The addition of Tanev means next year they can buy-out Sekera (3 more years @ 5.5 million per year w/ no move clause for a 32 year 5/6 defencemen) and that's another contract off their books (total of 7.05 million added cap after both the trade and buyout are done).

Canucks get RNH who could play behind horvat when the sedins retire, and they get a 20 year old D prospect who has scored big points in Junior.

Oilers overpay here but only because their hands are tied with needing to unload RNH and Sekera contracts. Canucks dont need to deal tanev so they have all the leverage to command as much as possible

...why is Edmonton buying out Sekera? He is hands down one of their top defensemen. He doesn't count against their cap until he returns, meaning oilers will have money to play with at the deadline.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/sekera-injury-will-hurt-oilers-but-time-and-money-can-ensure-it-s-not-a-disaster

That article will explain what he means to their back end.

As for RNH, he isn't redundant for the Oilers. He plays a role similar to Sutter and gives them center depth. With him, Oilers can load up their top line with Draisaitl and McDavid. If injuries come up they can still fill all positions.

Next year Oilers won't be able to afford RNH. Many Canucks fans have 0 interest in him but I'd like to acquire him. If Gudbranson plays well I would consider moving Tanev for RNH and Ethan Bear. Caleb Jones is a good prospect as well but Ethan plays the right side, something we need in our prospect pool. Ethan was drafted later but is a year older than Caleb and has improved his value considerably since being drafted.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:31 PM, TheHitman said:

Who would Nuge play with though, I'd consider his salary an overpayment as of now. 

I would look at him as a possible replacement for Henrik if the sedin0s retire this year. at the very lest he can fill in behind Bo until we have a bonafied number 1. wouldn't want to aquire him until next offseason though. were good for forwards this year

• 2 weeks later...

Archived