-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, longsuffering said:

Sutter has to be on a checking line. He is too slow for todays game and can't score..... his shots are almost always either wide or staright into the goalies chest. No finesse.

Sutter is slow? You should be a scout...on second thought, better keep your day job

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granlund on the 4th line? WTF. 

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Vanek
Gagner-Granlund-Eriksson
Sutter-Burmistrov-Virtanen 
Dorsett

IMO.

Edited by TheHitman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the Sedins and Edler on the same powerplay unit is a sad sight these days. 

 

If the anticipated outcome occurs, hopefully Green realizes how outdated that approach is, and reloads it. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Having the Sedins and Edler on the same powerplay unit is a sad sight these days. 

 

If the anticipated outcome occurs, hopefully Green realizes how outdated that approach is, and reloads it. 

I was really hoping we'd see a bold coach split the Sedins up at least on the powerplay.

 

Get Daniel back to using a one timer and get Henrik making plays with different players. Anything that will break up the cycle game that has become so predictable to other teams.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shiznak said:

I have to disagree with you here. Vanek seem to thrive playing with players who can skate and forecheck hard. In Detroit, he mostly played with Nielsen and Athanasiou. In Florida, it was with Bjugstad and Marchaessault. Bo and Sven both fit those criteria, and in my opinion would be a perfect 1B line. 

 

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Granlund

Bärtschi - Horvat - Vanek

Eriksson - Burmistrov - Boeser/Virtanen

Gagner - Sutter - Dorsett

 

PP1:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vanek

Boeser - Stecher

 

PP2:

Bärtschi - Horvat - Gagner

Eriksson - Del Zotto/Hutton

 

Man

 

If the PK chips a puck past that 1st unit it's gonna be a 4 on 0 fast :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I was really hoping we'd see a bold coach split the Sedins up at least on the powerplay.

 

Get Daniel back to using a one timer and get Henrik making plays with different players. Anything that will break up the cycle game that has become so predictable to other teams.

Hoping Green doesn't try to get the proverbial blood from the stone with the personnel. Let them waltz into the sunset watching the youth take over special teams. 

 

Leaving the Sedins together is redundant and pointless. Their experience is far more valuable to pass off to the youth than letting them stay together getting their pockets picked because they're too slow. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're going to miss Archie and Jake on the forecheck when they were reducing time and space on the Oil's transition game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Man

 

If the PK chips a puck past that 1st unit it's gonna be a 4 on 0 fast :lol:

Yip... hate this set up... happened a few times already in pre season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hoping Green doesn't try to get the proverbial blood from the stone with the personnel. Let them waltz into the sunset watching the youth take over special teams. 

 

Leaving the Sedins together is redundant and pointless. Their experience is far more valuable to pass off to the youth than letting them stay together getting their pockets picked because they're too slow. 

While I want this season to show improvement by the younger players and prospects as a priority I also am very curious to see how Travis Green adapts to the NHL. Splitting the Twins up for at least a portion of their TOI should have been done 15 years ago IMHO. Both have shown an ability to play effectively during injury periods. It is all about throwing different looks on the ice. If Green makes such a move I doubt it happens for 20 games. He likely will show patience as he gets to know what players have to offer. He did in Utica so I expect the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Sutter is slow? You should be a scout...on second thought, better keep your day job

I watched live every home game last season and what you don't see on TV is how often he is left behind on the play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Having the Sedins and Edler on the same powerplay unit is a sad sight these days. 

 

If the anticipated outcome occurs, hopefully Green realizes how outdated that approach is, and reloads it. 

Well said about the outcome 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 5:10 PM, EdgarM said:

Both Burrows and Hansen were North/South players too and they faired well with the Twins. I see Virtanen as an Anson Carter possibility.

 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 6:45 PM, aGENT said:

They were also established vets before they were successful there. Virtanen has enough on his plate already, adjusting to the NHL and being consistent without ain't that to his plate.

 

They were also pretty intelligent hockey players. I'm a big Virtanen fan but he's not there. At least not yet. 

 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 4:44 PM, aGENT said:

I understand the reasoning. Sedins need a defensively aware 'mucker' who can skate, battle for pucks and has enough offensive skill to pot a few. Horvat checks a lot of those boxes.

 

Unfortunately, the same reason I don't think Virtanen would fit well on that line, also applies to Horvat (and why I'd like to see THOSE two together) - The Sedins play East/West, Horvat and Virtanen play North/South.

 

Never mind that I see very little chance they take Bo off C'ing his own line.

I guess Virt is a possible line mate for the Sedins after all. ::D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

 

 

I guess Virt is a possible line mate for the Sedins after all. ::D

Goodness, it was one good/lucky goal :rolleyes:

 

As I said, he certainly possesses the speed and puck hounding that helps the twins but he plays north/south, they don't. That line did basically nothing on the cycle all game. Why do you think that is? 

 

Still FAR prefer to see Virtanen with Horvat. But we haven't really got a 'good' fit anywhere in the lineup for the twins, so sure, leave him there for now. At least he'll likely get more than 8 minutes that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎19 at 1:46 PM, nickels said:

Vaneks too slow to play with the twins 5 on 5....sure he'll be up front w/them on 1 PP.

 

Who says need jam on 4th line ? 

Let these guys play w/speed and try to generate offense vs other teams plugs.

 

Watch DD play and then explain why there needs to be room for him....please watch a full game before commenting

Hey there Pennies, did you manage to get your foot out of your mouth yet?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, aGENT said:

Goodness, it was one good/lucky goal :rolleyes:

 

As I said, he certainly possesses the speed and puck hounding that helps the twins but he plays north/south, they don't. That line did basically nothing on the cycle all game. Why do you think that is? 

 

Still FAR prefer to see Virtanen with Horvat. But we haven't really got a 'good' fit anywhere in the lineup for the twins, so sure, leave him there for now. At least he'll likely get more than 8 minutes that way. 

We haven't seen the best of the Bo-Bro- Baer Show...and what we have sen is 2 games of gelling with Bo and Bro showing some good chemistry on clever passes while not getting caught defensively....Jake might look good there as well but for now that line should stay together.

 

8 shots with the Sedins...I would call that re-invigorating the twins....Jake should stay put....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We haven't seen the best of the Bo-Bro- Baer Show...and what we have sen is 2 games of gelling with Bo and Bro showing some good chemistry on clever passes while not getting caught defensively....Jake might look good there as well but for now that line should stay together.

 

8 shots with the Sedins...I would call that re-invigorating the twins....Jake should stay put....

Rather see Granlund and Virt with Horvat and Baer and Boes together with Burmistrov or Gagner etc. Far more complimentary play styles IMO.

 

That said, while were playing well, I don't really care. Virt can be with the twins (even if they have no cycle game with him, at least they're getting chances), Baer can be with Horvat etc :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.