-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

On 9/11/2017 at 0:46 AM, Derp... said:

Anyone else thinking of going on Wednesday?

Should be a high pace camp. 

Can anyone just go into Rogers arena? 

On September 11, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, it's probably best that you do it Vintage, though there's two other threads out there requiring your prompt removal. 

Here's some images:

DJaCcDxVwAAmPbS.jpg

DJaCcDtVoAAB_Xa.jpg

Interesting to see that the 'third group' will be cut by the 16th. Media availability will be interesting. I'm thinking another 8-10 from the young stars. 

Jake Virtanen - 229

Bo Horvat - 223

Loving the size of the two big boys here. Two biggest players on the team, excluding Nilsson in net.

2 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Jake Virtanen - 229

Bo Horvat - 223

Loving the size of the two big boys here. Two biggest players on the team, excluding Nilsson in net.

surprised at Gagner's size... guys who are 200 lbs and sub-6 feet are usually real hard to move with a big center of gravity. could bode well.

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Can anyone just go into Rogers arena? 

Yup! Through the team store

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

The weights listed are from last year. They will get weighed again today.

I was wondering because Virtanen said he was coming into camp at 210 lbs. So unless he stopped by a hotdog eating contest on the way to camp....

Does anyone know when waiver transactions can begin? I'm wondering because there may be some teams like Detroit that may be forced to waive some decent players, just wondering when we may be able to add someone if the fit is good. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Does anyone know when waiver transactions can begin? I'm wondering because there may be some teams like Detroit that may be forced to waive some decent players, just wondering when we may be able to add someone if the fit is good. 

I found this.......

WHEN DO WAIVERS HAPPEN?

The regular season waiver period begins 12 days prior to the beginning of the regular season and ends the day after a team’s last game. Players are on waivers for 24 hours and waiver wire priority is based on the club with the lowest points percentage at the time a player is placed on waivers; the worst teams get a chance to improve by getting first crack, and then the next-worst team, and so on. If no team claims a player during the waiver period, they’re said to have “cleared waivers.”

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-wire-primer/

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I found this.......

WHEN DO WAIVERS HAPPEN?

The regular season waiver period begins 12 days prior to the beginning of the regular season and ends the day after a team’s last game. Players are on waivers for 24 hours and waiver wire priority is based on the club with the lowest points percentage at the time a player is placed on waivers; the worst teams get a chance to improve by getting first crack, and then the next-worst team, and so on. If no team claims a player during the waiver period, they’re said to have “cleared waivers.”

great, thx. So Fri Sep 22 or so if my counting is correct. Makes sense, it gives teams 10 days or so to evaluate players before making the decision of who to cut. 

I suspect Colorado would beat us to some players but you never know. 

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

The weights listed are from last year. They will get weighed again today.

Exactly Jake is prob 12 lbs lighter this year at least

23 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Maybe it's worth a try in preseason? Although, I could see them putting Vanek with the Sedins on the powerplay.

It's nice to see some of the veterans on the Utica Comets get some props by the organization. Banks and Hamilton have been a great shut down duo for the Comets for several seasons now. Archibald has also been a great presence on the team for a long time too. They are all around the 26-27 years old mark give or take so doubt they have a chance to crack the main roster. Archibald might be able to if he goes beast mode during pre-season. He's a tough dude and if he plays a solid game I could see him sliding into a 4th line role. It'll be neat watching the vet team in China, and our "prospects/young guy" team play here at home. Will be watching for sure!

This season in my own opinion could really end up surprising us on how well it goes. I'm actually thinking of finally forking over the money to pay for an AHL seasons pass. We ACTUALLY have prospects to watch on that team that can potentially be a huge game changer for the parent club as soon as this year!

• Upvote 1