-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, nickels said:

I agree with most of what you say here..

1)Maybe DD finds another gear and becomes an impact player the next couple weeks...and everyone lives happily ever after.

However...and these r completely hypothetical...

2)JB goes to DD and says ..."how are u feeling physically"?  "you had a great camp and we loved how hard you've worked to comeback from your neck surgery...but, we really feel that we need to give a couple of the young guys a chance"

DD ..."I really don't feel back to 100%...and don't really want to be put on waivers"..."maybe for now, going on LTIR is best for all"

DD gets his $$ and health, team gets cap space and another player gets a roster spot

3) DD is put on waivers and goes unclaimed (which IMO is very likely)

...I know we're responsible for his cap hit...but

a)have we lost the right to put him on LTIR at a later date ?

b)Is Utica only option ala Chris Higgins ?

c)Can he stay with team and work out in the event of an injury as a "non roster" player ?

d)does he stay on waivers indefinitely...or would become free to sign with anyone at any point ?

e)  must be traded to another team ?

at which point they would assume his cap hit.

Just curious ...don't know all the waiver rules. 

Don't bother responding with insults and "this will never happen" comments..

Malhotra Hossa and Loophole in Toronto have all had stranger things happen.

The league has appointed doctors to verify that teams are not circumventing the CBA.  

It's not possible to put an injured player through waivers without his approval.  Dorsett is healthy though.  Canucks can put him through waivers and if a team has interest they can claim him.  The process lasts 24 hours.  After the 24 hours he is no longer on waivers and the Canucks would have the option to keep him as a roster player or send him to Utica.   If they assign him to the minors - 1.025M of his cap hit can be buried and the excess will stay on the books.

The only way to move his contract is either to trade him or buy him out next summer.  The buyout window is roughly two weeks before free agency. Teams can't buy out an injured player.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hutton looks huge. 

35 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Maybe perhaps Boeser will rip them apart and carry on where he left off last game, continuing to impress. But we will see.

Ya he really stuck it to Vegas........... Team game remember haha. Glad he's doing great, but he coulda scored 8 goals and he still would not of stuck it to them. 

23 minutes ago, canuckfromlangley said:

That must be the Goalie the Canucks signed standing up front. Wonder if he'll even suit up for a game.

Green said unless there's an injury to Markstrom or Nilsson he won't be playing.

I can see him suiting up and doing a few solo laps before the boys come on the ice.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With the recent cuts, the OP has been updated.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

giphy.gif

I'm sure when Dahlen has a mediocre year due to getting mono, he'll use that as some sort of 'evidence' for his argument too. 

Should be fun.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hmmmm ... the old boys club master plan is coming to fruition. Send the Canucks to somewhere polluted to mess with their cardio? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

They hate us cuz they aint us! 

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm sure when Dahlen has a mediocre year due to getting mono, he'll use that as some sort of 'evidence' for his argument too. 

Should be fun.

Yeah nickels is a real clear headed poster.....

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

Hutton looks huge like a kid beside Nilsson. 

FTFY^_^

13 hours ago, nickels said:

I said it the day of the trade and will say it again now.....

Doug Wilson did not give up a TOP prospect for Jannik Hansen.  They knew Goldie a lot better than we did thru having him in their organization...

He and the Sharks obviously saw what we now see....

I hope Jonathan Dahlen isn't the same story....but fear he may be.  

He does seem to have more support in becoming an impact NHLer league wide than Goldie did.

However...based on limited look during prospects camp...will remain pessimistic. For the same reasons as Goldie.

We didn't get "the next big thing" from Ottawas mgmt group ...for Alex Burrows.

nickels, I tend to agree with you and I thought the same thing at the TDL last year - these organizations aren't giving up future stars for aged veterans on the down-side of their careers (don't get me wrong - still valuable players but Burr/Hansen aren't kids anymore lets face it).  Perhaps it was JB's way of creating the old 'addition by subtraction' concept where we created room for kids by clearing roster spots/contracts/salary cap all at the same time.  Sometimes trades are risky - even if their the proverbial 'hockey trades'.  We needed youth and scoring at the time, not experience and age - that's what we supposedly got.  I'll wait it out and hope our franchise can support these new guys so they can reach their potential.  BTW, you don't have to take 'digs' at everyone as the last sentence of your posts - most people, while not always agreeing with your comments are just debating hockey. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

nickels, I tend to agree with you and I thought the same thing at the TDL last year - these organizations aren't giving up future stars for aged veterans on the down-side of their careers (don't get me wrong - still valuable players but Burr/Hansen aren't kids anymore lets face it).  Perhaps it was JB's way of creating the old 'addition by subtraction' concept where we created room for kids by clearing roster spots/contracts/salary cap all at the same time.  Sometimes trades are risky - even if their the proverbial 'hockey trades'.  We needed youth and scoring at the time, not experience and age - that's what we supposedly got.  I'll wait it out and hope our franchise can support these new guys so they can reach their potential.  BTW, you don't have to take 'digs' at everyone as the last sentence of your posts - most people, while not always agreeing with your comments are just debating hockey. 

Agree 100%.....although your response is no where near as insightful and thought provoking as that clever wordsmith Blunt.

I never meant to insinuate that it was a bad trade....don't think either was.

Just to hear people in the media and in here talk of these two as future franchise cornerstones was never realistic in my opinion.  I think they both became "2 of our top 5 prospects" the day we acquired them.

Hope they both turn out to be great players...just will be surprised.

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Should be fun.

He might have gotten some of that negativity on Goldy from the Team 650 boys (or whatever they call themselves)...they were raging on Goldy and one of them quipped "at least they only gave up a 4th round pick or something for Goldobin"....

I would rather listen to Pratt than those meatheads....not even a Canuck fan and he has a job covering the Canucks....pathetic....

13 hours ago, nickels said:

I said it the day of the trade and will say it again now.....

Doug Wilson did not give up a TOP prospect for Jannik Hansen.  They knew Goldie a lot better than we did thru having him in their organization...

He and the Sharks obviously saw what we now see....

I hope Jonathan Dahlen isn't the same story....but fear he may be.  

He does seem to have more support in becoming an impact NHLer league wide than Goldie did.

However...based on limited look during prospects camp...will remain pessimistic. For the same reasons as Goldie.

We didn't get "the next big thing" from Ottawas mgmt group ...for Alex Burrows.

who ever said, or believed the team was getting superstars back for vets well past their primes?  I know I didn't and I haven't seen anyone here claim that either.  They are both young players with great offensive upside and bring a skillset and youthfulness that is missing in the org, but not complete impact players.  That's what you get for a Burrows or a Hansen.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Should be fun.

I'm sure when he has a mediocre  you'll blame it on the mono.

Or the usual   "XXXfill in the blanks"....take longer to develop.

2 minutes ago, nickels said:

Agree 100%.....although your response is no where near as insightful and thought provoking as that clever wordsmith Blunt.

107926-Anchorman-NO-gif-Imgur-LvXc.gif

Just now, stawns said:

who ever said, or believed the team was getting superstars back for vets well past their primes?  I know I didn't and I haven't seen anyone here claim that either.  They are both young players with great offensive upside and bring a skillset and youthfulness that is missing in the org, but not complete impact players.  That's what you get for a Burrows or a Hansen.

That is what you get for a Burrows or Hansen

Go back and check the comments in the Goldie or Dahlen threads....

Bennings a genius !

What a steal !

etc etc etc in here...

Just now, nickels said:

That is what you get for a Burrows or Hansen

Go back and check the comments in the Goldie or Dahlen threads....

Bennings a genius !

What a steal !

etc etc etc in here...

They were steals, not sure why anyone would argue that.  Regardless of how they pan out, getting pure prospects for guys in their mid 30's is a steal.

Just now, stawns said:

They were steals, not sure why anyone would argue that.  Regardless of how they pan out, getting pure prospects for guys in their mid 30's is a steal.

So if neither player ever earns a starting position in the NHL ...you would consider these "steals" ?