-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

I love what Boeser and Virtanen are doing, right now.  But until I see them playing with the veterans, against quality NHL caliber lineups in the preseason, I will not say whether they should make it or not.  It's great that these kids are doing this right now, but let's face it guys, these lineups that they're facing aren't exactly NHL caliber.  If they show this consistency all through preseason, especially the last 2 games of the preseason I say let them stay up.  But if they can't do this, they need to start in the AHL.  Personally I hope that they can make the team, especially Virtanen, so that I don't have to hear people keep saying that we shoulda picked Ehlers or Nylander. :)

The caliber of the teams they are facing has been not great I admit but the line up that the young Canucks have been icing have been borderline AHL and ECHL caliber. Not all of them but a lot more than the teams they are playing. Don't kid yourself, half the lineup will never play a single game in the NHL...

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I like 14F better. We can send waiver eligible D down with relative ease. Vegas loaded up on D, and will in all likelihood waive 5 NHL regulars. Our guys aren't at risk of getting claimed with that kind of talent out there. 

Yes, not just Vegas, many teams will be forced to waive good players. They stand a good chance of clearing waivers, timing is key

3 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Jalen Chatfield is having a really good training camp so far!  He was definitely an under-the-radar player for me until I saw him at the open-invite training camp sessions.  1st star of the game last night and it was well deserved.  3 points!  I'm looking forward to seeing how he does the rest of pre-season.  If he keeps this up, I'd expect to see him as one of the first call-ups for the big club this year!!!

Utica bound bound in my opinion, liked his game.

We want entertainment.

I can't remember our AHL team ever having this much high level competition for roster spots. If Jake and Brock play the season in Utica then I predict Utica Comets will win the 2017/2018 Calder Cup! 

I think that it will be better for their development rather than rushing them into a loosing NHL team.

It will be good for Jake to see something through (two years hard work in AHL pays off with a hard earned cup). Brock won in college let him win in the AHL before they win in the NHL.  Let our prospects have that experience of winning at the next level together and then bring them up when their pro games are polished. 

Upshall, Dorset, and White can keep us going this year in Vancouver. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I can't remember our AHL team ever having this much high level competition for roster spots. If Jake and Brock play the season in Utica then I predict Utica Comets will win the 2017/2018 Calder Cup! 

I think that it will be better for their development rather than rushing them into a loosing NHL team.

It will be good for Jake to see something through (two years hard work in AHL pays off with a hard earned cup). Brock won in college let him win in the AHL before they win in the NHL.  Let our prospects have that experience of winning at the next level together and then bring them up when their pro games are polished. 

Upshall, Dorset, and White can keep us going this year in Vancouver. 

I understand what you're saying and yes patience is important, but if Virtanen and Boeser continue to show that they are NHL ready, you can't deny them that. These players have worked their entire lives to light up the lamp and get cut? It would be angering.

Management said that they will make room for young players if need be...

So I smell a trade.

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I understand what you're saying and yes patience is important, but if Virtanen and Boeser continue to show that they are NHL ready, you can't deny them that. These players have worked their entire lives to light up the lamp and get cut? It would be angering.

Management said that they will make room for young players if need be...

So I smell a trade.

What is your proposal?

At this point, I don't know how anyone can consider sending Boeser down to Utica. 

Look at last year, the Canucks desperately needed goal scorers. We got one right here. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

At this point, I don't know how anyone can consider sending Boeser down to Utica. 

Look at last year, the Canucks desperately needed goal scorers. We got one right here. 

They also added two 50 pt guys and a potential 30-40 point guy in Burmistrov plus a year fwd for Bo, Baer and granny.........offense is much deeper than last year.

Well it's so difficult to even justify sending Boeser down. He's earned every moment, and while there's always improvement there is so much need for a sniper in this team... The kid's earned it, hope he's on opening night. Worst case scenario is we make a dominating team in Utica. A line of Virtanen - Megna - Boeser would be unreal if we can add Juolevi in the playoffs 

The way Boeser quickly shoots between players legs and uses them as screens is crazy.  His hands are also a lot better than I thought they were. His release is probably top 10 in the league, I could see him putting up 25-30 goals this season

Even if he starts in Utica he's going to be called up eventually. Whether it be injuries or him forcing them to with his play. I think he should start on the team so he can compete for the Calder. Missing 5-10 games could be the difference between him winning it and not. When's the last time the Canucks had someone with a legit chance to win it?

We can probably sneak a guy down with all the talent having to pass through waivers this season. If Goldobin is bordering on being too good for the AHL imagine Boeser down there.... His main issue is skating and he's not going to be able to really improve it till the off season.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I know how un-popular my opinion in regards to this is but there's a few reasons to keep Boeser and Virtanen down

• Boeser has come from University leagues, lower impact far less intense and a much much easier work load without the media fishbowl issues like vancouver.  Do we REALLY want to subject a kid who had significant surgery last year to a losing team and the negativity that goes with it in vancouver if he fails to produce?
  • Virtanen is doing the right things.  But is it enough to warrant a spot now?  Is he mature enough to do this at home or would he excel with another year in utica being in the top 6 getting 15-20 minutes a night as opposed to 4th line here at home?
  • If this team is destined to be mediocre at best and we expect these two kids to play 10-13 minutes a game at most to ensure we don't burn them out would they not be better left in an environment where they're the go to guys with less attention top 6 or better and pushed to win?  Adding them to an already decent looking line up would almost ensure playoffs for Utica and allow them to gel and win with their new team mates.
  • The wings are already very very crowded and even if we send them down there's the likelihood of a necessary trade or waiving of players.

Yes I LOVE the idea of having them on the team full time.  But for the few reasons why we should keep them up.  Long term, I see a dozen more reasons we should send them down together

Dude, your rationale is sound, and I harbour a somewhat similar opinion. Both have looked solid thus far. Early on I stated that Virtanen was more ready than Boeser because his 200 ft game looked more complete than Boeser's. I still believe that, but in his Calgary game Boeser showed (me anyways) that his defensive game is better than I gave him credit for. What remains to be seen is if he has what it takes to do it for 82 games, or 50 ish more than he's used to playing.  

I don't believe there's a wrong answer here anymore than I believe you actually have "a dozen" reasons for them to go down. Maybe 2 or 3, and I might agree. The counterpoint is that there are 2 or 3 to keep them up, especially Virt. The kid put up with a lot of $&!# and has completely turned himself around. That in and of itself isn't reward worthy, but he's playing like he belongs. It's up to JB to find room for him, or come up with a suitable excuse not to.

edit: beer grammar

Edited by Green Building
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

They also added two 50 pt guys and a potential 30-40 point guy in Burmistrov plus a year fwd for Bo, Baer and granny.........offense is much deeper than last year.

Which is awesome...and a very optimistic outlook.

Boeser isn't 18, he's going to need to find out what an 82 game season in the NHL is like, let him. Guys make the jump from collage to a full season in the NHL all the time and do well enough for themselves. Either he continues to do what he's done in the NCAA and preseason or he learns what he needs to do personally to make that a reality. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Boeser isn't 18, he's going to need to find out what an 82 game season in the NHL is like, let him. Guys make the jump from collage to a full season in the NHL all the time and do well enough for themselves. Either he continues to do what he's done in the NCAA and preseason or he learns what he needs to do personally to make that a reality. 

He's a young guy, and I had all kinds of energy and willingness at his age, but I wasn't competing in the NHL while having it. I'm legit curious how he'd fare over a much larger season.

14 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

The way Boeser quickly shoots between players legs and uses them as screens is crazy.  His hands are also a lot better than I thought they were. His release is probably top 10 in the league, I could see him putting up 25-30 goals this season

Even if he starts in Utica he's going to be called up eventually. Whether it be injuries or him forcing them to with his play. I think he should start on the team so he can compete for the Calder. Missing 5-10 games could be the difference between him winning it and not. When's the last time the Canucks had someone with a legit chance to win it?

We can probably sneak a guy down with all the talent having to pass through waivers this season. If Goldobin is bordering on being too good for the AHL imagine Boeser down there.... His main issue is skating and he's not going to be able to really improve it till the off season.

I hope one of the actual reasons you want Boeser in the bigs isn't so that he can compete for the Calder, I mean, really? Come on, man.

Just now, Green Building said:

I hope one of the actual reasons you want Boeser in the bigs isn't so that he can compete for the Calder, I mean, really? Come on, man.

Or the fact he'll most likely lead our team in goals at the end of the season. Yeah let's keep him in the AHL. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

He's a young guy, and I had all kinds of energy and willingness at his age, but I wasn't competing in the NHL while having it. I'm legit curious how he'd fare over a much larger season.

Bingo. When I was Brock's age I could bounce back from a lot quickly...and I sure as hell didn't have the physical condition of a top college athlete. 

11 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't understand the need to rush him I guess and the fact is, there really isn't a spot for him without the very real risk of losing a quality depth player on waivers.

While it's true that many college players make that jump, very few of them make a real impact on the league, most go on to fizzle a bit and become bottom 6 support players.  There is a definite downside to keeping one of Jake or BB up, but I'm curious what the downside is to sending them down to Utica.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Or the fact he'll most likely lead our team in goals at the end of the season. Yeah let's keep him in the AHL. 

Leading the team in goals isn't going to be that hard as we're starved. My only concerns with Brock are whether or not he has the stamina to compete day in and day out for 82 games. Do you think he does?