-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, Green Building said:

Leading the team in goals isn't going to be that hard as we're starved. My only concerns with Brock are whether or not he has the stamina to compete day in and day out for 82 games. Do you think he does? 

Stecher and Hutton handled it pretty well and I'd say d is a harder position. He could always sit a game here and there near the end of the season. I think he'd be fine though, tons of players have done it around the league. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Stecher and Hutton handled it pretty well and I'd say d is a harder position. He could always sit a game here and there near the end of the season. I think he'd be fine though, tons of players have done it around the league. 

I definitely agree that D is more difficult, but in no way does it require more stamina. That's why top dmen can play 26-30 mins a night when forwards don't tend to get anywhere near that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Bingo. When I was Brock's age I could bounce back from a lot quickly...and I sure as hell didn't have the physical condition of a top college athlete. 

When I was Brock's age I was a different man than I am now, but that's another thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

What is your proposal?

Well first I'll start with my line up.

Sedin Sedin Gagner

- management and coaching staff is going to give this line time to gel, regardless of the outcome of the first game, besides it was one pre season game.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

- do I even need to explain myself here? Great youthful line, Brock will be a star in this league, the best young American forward since Dylan Larkin in my opinion.

Vanek Granlund Eriksson 

- defensively responsible line that can definitely chip in offensively. Vanek has a great resume, I believe Eriksson will have a bounce back year, and Granlund is only getting better 

Virtanen Burmistrov Sutter 

Talk about a 4th line that could pass as a third, Burm and Sutter could switch depending on situations. 

We can definitely roll 4 lines with this team

Extra forwards are Rodin  (he hasn't looked that spectacular but I believe this experiment will be given a long leash) and..

Darren Archibald I would love to see make the big club, he's all you could ask for in an extra forward. And he's rough and tough and could slot in against teams like the blues, Bruins or the Cali teams.

I would part with Derek Dorsett, I love the guy and I feel bad for him but we have to keep moving forward.

They should give him a shot with another team. Given his recent health issues i would say ..

Dorsett to whoever for a 5th rd pick.

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't understand the need to rush him I guess and the fact is, there really isn't a spot for him without the very real risk of losing a quality depth player on waivers.

While it's true that many college players make that jump, very few of them make a real impact on the league, most go on to fizzle a bit and become bottom 6 support players.  There is a definite downside to keeping one of Jake or BB up, but I'm curious what the downside is to sending them down to Utica.

The only downside I see is we have no shiny new toy to turn on a dime over the moment he's not scoring

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Sedin Sedin Gagner

- management and coaching staff is going to give this line time to gel, regardless of the outcome of the first game, besides it was one pre season game.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

- do I even need to explain myself here? Great youthful line, Brock will be a star in this league, the best young American forward since Dylan Larkin in my opinion.

Vanek Granlund Eriksson 

- defensively responsible line that can definitely chip in offensively. Vanek has a great resume, I believe Eriksson will have a bounce back year, and Granlund is only getting better 

Talk about a 4th line that could pass as a third, Burm and Sutter could switch depending on situations. 

Extra forwards are Rodin  (he hasn't looked that spectacular but I believe this experiment will be given a long leash) and..

Darren Archibald I would love to see make the big club, he's all you could ask for in an extra forward. And he's rough and tough and could slot in against teams like the blues, Bruins or the Cali teams.

I would part with Derek Dorsett, I love the guy and I feel bad for him but we have to keep moving forward.

They should give him a shot with another team. Given his recent health issues i would say ..

Gaunce? Boucher?  I also think that lineup is nowhere near reality

Edited by stawns

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I know how un-popular my opinion in regards to this is but there's a few reasons to keep Boeser and Virtanen down

• Boeser has come from University leagues, lower impact far less intense and a much much easier work load without the media fishbowl issues like vancouver.  Do we REALLY want to subject a kid who had significant surgery last year to a losing team and the negativity that goes with it in vancouver if he fails to produce?
  • Virtanen is doing the right things.  But is it enough to warrant a spot now?  Is he mature enough to do this at home or would he excel with another year in utica being in the top 6 getting 15-20 minutes a night as opposed to 4th line here at home?
  • If this team is destined to be mediocre at best and we expect these two kids to play 10-13 minutes a game at most to ensure we don't burn them out would they not be better left in an environment where they're the go to guys with less attention top 6 or better and pushed to win?  Adding them to an already decent looking line up would almost ensure playoffs for Utica and allow them to gel and win with their new team mates.
  • The wings are already very very crowded and even if we send them down there's the likelihood of a necessary trade or waiving of players.

Yes I LOVE the idea of having them on the team full time.  But for the few reasons why we should keep them up.  Long term, I see a dozen more reasons we should send them down together

I'm on the fence with a leg on one side where I'd love to see them make the opening lineup with the Canucks and they are making a strong case to do so. And the other leg on the side of being ok with them in Utica where Boeser most likely leads the team in scoring and they both be the first call ups when injury bug hits. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

Benning said if they earn a spot, they get a spot.  Ipso facto, that means he believes they are better off with the Canucks than Utica; especially validated now, where there's sufficient depth that they won't just get a spot by default but have to actually beat out a veteran.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning said if they earn a spot, they get a spot.  Ipso facto, that means he believes they are better off with the Canucks than Utica; especially validated now, where there's sufficient depth that they won't just get a spot by default but have to actually beat out a veteran.

They also said that goals and assists would not be the only factor in their decision regarding Boeser.  

Credit to Boeser and Jake for making this a very difficult decision though.......I'm sure JB doesn't mind that kind of stress at all.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

They also said that goals and assists would not be the only factor in their decision regarding Boeser.  

Credit to Boeser and Jake for making this a very difficult decision though.......I'm sure JB doesn't mind that kind of stress at all.

So if they hadn't put up the numbers they have, would they still be in good contention for a spot?

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tomorrow against Edmontons prospects will be another good measuring stick. Depending on the personal I can see Virtanen having a dandy of a game. Definitely the type of faces you wanna staple than pot one against. 

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Tomorrow against Edmontons prospects will be another good measuring stick. Depending on the personal I can see Virtanen having a dandy of a game. Definitely the type of faces you wanna staple than pot one against. 

Agreed

Truly, pre-season starts post China, imo

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gaunce yes, Boucher...  no thanks unless u let go Burmistrov or send down Boeser/Virtanen.

57 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So if they hadn't put up the numbers they have, would they still be in good contention for a spot?

Not in my opinion.......Not enough to knock an established, waiver eligible vet out any way.

Edited by stawns

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Gaunce will be on IR. Boucher will most likely pass waivers.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't understand the need to rush him I guess and the fact is, there really isn't a spot for him without the very real risk of losing a quality depth player on waivers.

While it's true that many college players make that jump, very few of them make a real impact on the league, most go on to fizzle a bit and become bottom 6 support players.  There is a definite downside to keeping one of Jake or BB up, but I'm curious what the downside is to sending them down to Utica.

Toews being the famous example of a 2 year ND player who made the jump right to impact in the NHL. Last year Werenski with 1 year college & Skjei with 4 had big impact years as rookies...

7 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Sedin Sedin Gagner

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Vanek Granlund Eriksson 

Where did this idea of defensively responsible come together with Vanek?  Those two things run in parallel lines and never intersect.  Vanek has not played a lick of defense in his career.  Maybe it is more like: two defensive responsible forwards to make up for Vanek being on the ice.  

I look at Dorsett as 13-14th forward.  Rodin has missed most of a year and a half, he probably should start in Utica to get big minutes and get all assets of his game back together.  Archibald is interesting, see how he looks when facing more pro competition, can't get too excited about these early games.