-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I remember back to 2006 when Burrows broke in. Then 2008 with Hansen. They went over the boards like they had firecrackers up their butts. Went out and hounded, made life hell for opposing D and forwards alike. Burrows added the chippy stuff. But they ''made it,' at least initially,' in the NHL exclusively on their dogged checking and unrelenting work ethic. Then surprised with their ability, or developed the ability, to score and contribute offensively.

I'm not sure that is the case with Granlund? He is responsible defensively. But unrelenting and dogged in his pursuit? A thorn in the side of everyone who he plays against? I don't think I can give him credit for that. Hopefully Green can coach that into a few players, Markus included..Granlund also arrived with better offensive acumen. 

Cough, it is one reason Megna and Chaput existed / exist. Why we desperately need Jake to continue to develop at a fast rate!

Good comment Surfer...

Although he doesn't have the chirpiness of Burrows, and speed of Hansen, I do think Granlund does a lot of the things Hansen did later in his Canucks career. He does go to dig out the puck, and are defensively responsible and also seem to bring it to the ice every game. And he does have the Burrows ability to be at the right place in front of the net at the right time. 

Most importantly, like both of them, he has the ability to slot into any line without problems... 

But yes hopefully Green can coach them to be a pest to play against.... And mega yes to us needing Jake to continue to develop at a fast rate. He has the attributes of Burrows and Hansen in one...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Here here. A lot of fans think these guys got this far because they have had it easy. That's as far from the truth as possible. Most of these players have been the best players on their teams. Starting from Novice to their Junior squads they have been targeted by opposing teams and have had to work hard and take a lot of physical abuse throughout the years. Just because a player doesn't initiate the contact don't mean they a soft. 

And when it comes to calling out players with names like trash and garbage and useless. I would like to see any of you guys say it to their face? 

Of course these hockey players are not soft... They are the toughest SOB's you're likely to come across.

Think the term 'soft' is being used (or I at least do) for players not build for hitting or fighting.

If people on these pages say a team is soft, its mostly because they don't see anybody in the line up, or very few, who would have the physical build to do the physical and rough stuff. 

It is not a negative term or a suggestion that players are weak.

I may be wrong, but how would you define a team that doesn't have the a aforementioned players in it?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, J-23 said:

Well Lind has 8 points in 2 games and just dominated Young Stars, he's got potential. I was probably pushing it with Gadjovich though. I also agree on the panning out part, I think there will be some prospects who don't make it. I also think there will be a surprise like Burrows was.

Exactly, remember 3 years ago when everyone had Cassells pencilled in as our 3rd line center......

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

4.375 million center and 2.65 million winger on the 4th line. Good times. 

I agree Dorsett is overpaid, but Sutter will probably end up playing 18-20 minutes a night. He'll get tons of PK time and all the defensive zone faceoffs.

• Upvote 3

On 25.9.2017 at 1:08 PM, spook007 said:

Good comment Surfer...

Although he doesn't have the chirpiness of Burrows, and speed of Hansen, I do think Granlund does a lot of the things Hansen did later in his Canucks career. He does go to dig out the puck, and are defensively responsible and also seem to bring it to the ice every game. And he does have the Burrows ability to be at the right place in front of the net at the right time. 

Most importantly, like both of them, he has the ability to slot into any line without problems... 

But yes hopefully Green can coach them to be a pest to play against.... And mega yes to us needing Jake to continue to develop at a fast rate. He has the attributes of Burrows and Hansen in one...

The thing I like about Granlund is the fact he really can slot in on just about any line and still be effective. You can pair him up with Bo or the twins, center the 3rd or 4th and still get quality shifts and good offense out of him. He isn't that flashy, but quietly seems to get the job done pretty well concidering he has had a lot of different linemates all the time.

Edited by Spoosh
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

When was that?

I've struggled with assigning even phantom wingers, for their defensive steadiness, in all my projected lines. For Bo, or for Sutter as a match up line. Benning says his goal is that we have 4 scoring lines. I hope we score more! I don't believe we will be better defensively, or in goal.

We do not really have a Hansen, or Burrows anymore. Who bring their lunch pail to work, expecting to exist dogging key forwards, killing penalties and retrieving the puck?

I recall when he was called up once. He played on a line with Kassian. Might have been against SJ?

I remember being impressed in that it was Archie busting into board battles. Zeroing in on D on the fore-check. Finishing checks and comimg out with pucks. And disillusioned that Zach was having to learn how to play, to work hard from someone who did not have his soft hands, puck moxy and gift of speed. But therein lies the question for Archibald?

He has the heart and work rate. Does he have the skills to make plays at NHL level competition?

In the 12:30am game against China - the one and only time he was tied up after the whistle. It was panic to get him outta there. 

If you search the GDT you can find it. 

Edited by AllWeatherFan

For most of us who only see the scores and glimpses of highlights from Utica the past couple seasons, I think we should be very happy with how Green has handled and worked with our depth prospects. There was a lot of good 2-way hockey IQ on display, and for everyone concerned about where the next Burrows, and Hansen type of players are going to emerge from, they're down there, with more prospects on the way.

I think there's quite a few guys on Utica right now that did a lot of things Green likes and I get the feeling they all believe as long as Green is the coach of the Canucks, they have a shot. It was the same with AV when he took over the Canucks. He knew some of the young guys in Manitoba, and he trusted them and they all found  themselves on the Canucks very quickly.

By the time our elite prospects are ready to make an impact on this team there will be several of those guys that play a certain role in Utica that can do the same thing with the big club. It's great when a 5th overall pick develops, but that's expected. When you start turning the later round guys into NHL'ers, now you're building a contender.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, stawns said:

If you play a better 200 ft game, aren't you a better overall player at that time?

Alex Burrows has always played a better 200 ft game than Alex Ovechkin. Does that mean he was the better overall player? 

Boeser is ready. Pure and simple. Forcing him down to Utica is the wrong move.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Alex Burrows has always played a better 200 ft game than Alex Ovechkin. Does that mean he was the better overall player? 

Boeser is ready. Pure and simple. Forcing him down to Utica is the wrong move.

you just compared Boeser to Ovechkin?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hopefully there's some other quality guys on waivers today so he isn't picked up. Not saying he's incredible or anything but we'll be better off with him if he's in Utica. 

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

you just compared Boeser to Ovechkin?

No - he just compared Burrow's 200 foot game to Ovechkin's ... don't take it out of context!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dorsett yes, quoted him myself in a different but similar post. Sutter yes. Virtanen? I am very excited as he appears on his way, doesn't he!

Burmistrov?  Very skilled, but goes to the same school of hard hockey as Goldobin I think...

Burmistrov doesn't necessarily have the same grit level as a Hansen/Burrows/Kesler but he's not afraid to go to dirty areas, and is a pretty decent puck hound (including back checking and creating turnovers). He's basically what Goldobin needs to learn (with Goldobin hopefully having a higher offensive ceiling).

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Surprising literally no one :lol: Hopefully he clears and can be scoring depth in Utica.

3 hours ago, Stelar said:

Exactly, remember 3 years ago when everyone had Cassells pencilled in as our 3rd line center......

"Everyone"... I recall potential 4th but nobody saying 3rd.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Surprising literally no one :lol: Hopefully he clears and can be scoring depth in Utica.

Was amazed at all those putting him into their starting lineups.  He has some NHL skill but much is missing, some of which is conditioning and not only the desire to improve it but to recognize and accept his shortcomings in the first place.  Until he starts doing that he's going to bounce around the wire and/or eventually end up with an AHL-only career.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Inb4 "asset management."