The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames future in Calgary

goalie13

Flames president Ken King dropped a bombshell Tuesday afternoon saying the team owners are no longer pursuing a new arena in Calgary.

The announcement, which included NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, comes one day after Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi revealed that while an arena would be nice, it's not absolutely necessary to his his recently announced vision for east downtown. 

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/09/12/flames-president-ken-king-drops-bombshell-were-no-longer-pursuing-an-arena-in-calgary

Personally, I just believe this is posturing.  I also believe that sports teams should build their own arenas.  It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Quotes from Eric Francis' Twitter feed...

Nenshi was in council when Ken King dropped bombshell & wont respond until tomorrow. Interesting to see how he handles political hot potato

Bettman on what Calgarians can do now: "You need to make your voice heard if you think the city is moving in the wrong direction."

Bettman: "At some point there will be consequences that will have to be dealt with."

Bettman: "I'm not surprised at this result. I think it was inevitable."

King: "we're not shopping, we're not looking around." Bettman is here to help guide Flames forward

King on the city's stance re a new rink: "their message is it's not going to work"

King re future of Flames in Calgary: "I don't know what this means."

King spoke to Mayor and determined the city has no genuine interest in helping build a building. Talks over.

King: "we will operate as long as we can."

King: "It's time we stopped pretending."

Flames suggest a location that will cost tons to clean up before construction.  Mayor says no.

City suggest Victoria Park, Flames say no.

all this while the team wants to pay a small portion of the tab. 

why is this on the city to find a location for the Flames.  This is typical posturing right before a mayoral election.  You can expect Burke to shoot his mouth off as well soon saying the team could leave.

its all bull$&!# posturing.  Flames aren't going anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Quotes from Eric Francis' Twitter feed...

Nenshi was in council when Ken King dropped bombshell & wont respond until tomorrow. Interesting to see how he handles political hot potato

Bettman on what Calgarians can do now: "You need to make your voice heard if you think the city is moving in the wrong direction."

Bettman: "At some point there will be consequences that will have to be dealt with."

Bettman: "I'm not surprised at this result. I think it was inevitable."

King: "we're not shopping, we're not looking around." Bettman is here to help guide Flames forward

King on the city's stance re a new rink: "their message is it's not going to work"

King re future of Flames in Calgary: "I don't know what this means."

King spoke to Mayor and determined the city has no genuine interest in helping build a building. Talks over.

King: "we will operate as long as we can."

King: "It's time we stopped pretending."

Let's be clear on Francis, he is a mouthpiece for Flames and King

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Flames suggest a location that will cost tons to clean up before construction.  Mayor says no.

City suggest Victoria Park, Flames say no.

all this while the team wants to pay a small portion of the tab. 

why is this on the city to find a location for the Flames.  This is typical posturing right before a mayoral election.  You can expect Burke to shoot his mouth off as well soon saying the team could leave.

its all bull$&!# posturing.  Flames aren't going anywhere. 

Sums it up nicely

Can't wait to watch Burke get all tomato face and mention QC's arena

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So the money losing US franchises will stay put, while a solid Canadian team moves to the US?  Ya, that makes sense.  Calgarians should tell the NHL to stuff it.  The league can't survive without the .Canadian teams' revenue.  

Love how Bettman always comes to the towns doing this to show that the "team means business". 

Personally find the mealy mouthed, league HQ wh*res the most repulsive of the lot.

Come up to Canada to start drawing lines in the sand? Pondering bldg-ultimatums? All that Cdn rev sharing hasn't been enough for these foul pigs at the trough?

Meanwhile, they've run what WAS a brilliant league into the ground. Sticking arenas in places that have no F***ing biz, nor connection to the culture of ice hockey. Bldgs that will remain half-empty, 'til such 'markets' go on a run. Easy to endlessly rebuild(or use as a cap sponge..ahem PHX) when no local fans give a shy*e what you're up to.

25 yrs ago if the Cdn markets separated from the ***holes down south(form a WHA, Cdn version), I'll bet the hockey would be a far better product than the rigged deck we've had to make do with.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Personally find the mealy mouthed, league HQ wh*res the most repulsive of the lot.

Come up to Canada to start drawing lines in the sand? Pondering bldg-ultimatums? All that Cdn rev sharing hasn't been enough for these foul pigs at the trough?

Meanwhile, they've run what WAS a brilliant league into the ground. Sticking arenas in places that have no F***ing biz, nor connection to the culture of ice hockey. Bldgs that will remain half-empty, 'til such 'markets' go on a run. Easy to endlessly rebuild(or use as a cap sponge..ahem PHX) when no local fans give a shy*e what you're up to.

25 yrs ago if the Cdn markets separated from the ***holes down south(form a WHA, Cdn version), I'll bet the hockey would be a far better product than the rigged deck we've had to make do with.

How are Flames going to send transfer payments to the Coyotes unless they get a new rink. Lol.

Also, what kind of asshat management group brings this to the forefront the day training camp starts.  Brutal. 

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

How are Flames going to send transfer payments to the Coyotes unless they get a new rink. Lol.

Also, what kind of asshat management group brings this to the forefront the day training camp starts.  Brutal. 

with all the angst Calgary has over sending money to Quebec, can you imagine if the lost the F'lames to Quebec City :P i think it would spur an Alberta separation movement. 

Archived