The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In place to the Canucks finish in the western Conference? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

sometimes i wonder how  bad your hockey sense is  edmonton is not better than blues or preds  your mindblowing my call on this yr

1. ducks

2. preds

3. blues

4. jets 

5. sharks

6.stars

7. hawks

8.canucks 

9. oil

10.wild

11.flames

12 kings 

13 knights 

14. coyotes

15. avs 

good luck 

with your predictions but ya no way u have a clue 

You calling another poster out and put up that pile of crap..lol.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Vegas has them as the 2nd most likely team to win the Stanley Cup.  

Vegas also has magic shows, 3's dressed as 9's and "cocktails" with almost zero alcohol.   

I don't buy them as a solid team at this point - most others (and apparently Vegas) do.   All good.   I am fine being wrong but I cannot jump onto a bandwagon I don't believe in - I think they are not a well designed group and I don't like their chances of improving much.

7 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

Uh, equal or better goaltending? Surely you jest.

Cam Talbot has always been a fine goaltender, even when the Oilers were still crap during his first season there he still put up very respectable numbers, nevermind his first couple of terrific seasons with the Rags. Unlike our current tandem of Jacob 'Mr. No-Zero' Markstrom and Anders 'who?' Nilsson whom have accomplished virtually nothing at the NHL level, Talbot has at least proven to be a reliable workhorse of a starting goalie. There was nothing "over his head" about last year.

Agree to disagree.   I am not a Talbot fan at all.   He plays too deep in his net and gets very luck (watch some highlights) and odds on luck are they come and go.   If they go this year, and his save % comes down say .10 or so (back to earth so to speak for him), a lot of those one goal games the Oilers eeeked out last year go the other way.

6 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Seriously? I hate the Oilers more than any other team but we tandem of two inconsistent goalies who have never been starters their entire career. Talbot played a huge load of the games last year and a good chunk the year before. He's had either decent or good numbers every year so far in his career. I wish it were a fluke but he's the real deal. Saying we might actually have better goaltending is just pure homerism. 

And I'd give them a slight edge on defence but that's arguable. Their top 4>ours but our bottom pairing is a bit better. 

Yes, seriously.   I DON'T hate the Oilers at all.   I think they are a fine team but lack some key pieces and I am not sold on their goalie but apparently you are.   I can be quite serious about my opinion but it apparently doesn't align with yours.   That's ok isnt' it?

Homerism (you mean like the Simpons) is odd as I don't live in your area, Canucks are my third fav team at best and I have already said in another thread I think the Canucks will be hard pressed to improve by more than 8 to 12 points this year.   Yah, a real homer (Simpson?).     We might well have better goaltending due to who we signed out of Buffalo - I am super high on that signing and believe he is a severely underrated player who just needs minutes.   Markstrom is better than the Oilers backup so.....yup, I see Canucks tending as equal or even edged ahead than Edmonton.   Seriously.

Times are changing in the west. I think the Canucks do okay, after adding Vanek, Gagner, Del Zotto, Wiercioch, Burmistrov, Rodin and Nilsson. Also, hopefully a full season from Gudbranson and an improved year from Eriksson. Canucks have better depth now, so when injuries hit, the impact may not be as great. Green has a lot of pieces to work with. 

1. Stars

2. Preds

3. Oilers

4. Ducks

5. Blues

6. Flames

7. Jets

8. Wild

9. Sharks

10. Hawks

11. CANUCKS

12. Kings

13. Coyotes

14. Avs

15. Knights

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agree to disagree.   I am not a Talbot fan at all.   He plays too deep in his net and gets very luck (watch some highlights) and odds on luck are they come and go.   If they go this year, and his save % comes down say .10 or so (back to earth so to speak for him), a lot of those one goal games the Oilers eeeked out last year go the other way.

Fair enough but even though it's a relatively small sample size, the guy still has a career Sv% of .922 through almost 200 games. Maybe it's just me but I see no reason why he should have a regression or his luck should run out after this many games.

Oh yeah...and Markstrom will win the Vezina Trophy and Anton Rodin will win the scoring title while looking like the Ghost of Gordie Howe (RIP)!

(sniffs armpit again...)

Horvat will center the 1st line with Baertschi and Boeser (who will win the Calder), and the Sedins will have extremely productive seasons as the 2nd Line.

:frantic::frantic::frantic::emot-parrot:::D

I have noticed that teams are closer then most think since the Cap system came in. There is no "sure" wins anymore and anyone can win  on any given night. The Canucks who are supposed to be a bottom feeder team was involved in a lot of 1 goal games in the last couple of years. I remember other posters thinking we were going to get run over by the California teams and yet we won some of those series.

One of the obvious examples was LA missing the playoffs 1 year after they won the Cup. Look at the mighty Hawks and where they have been lately. Dallas and St. Louis should be better then they are and why have the Caps and the great "8" not have a Cup yet?

The Canucks were able to strengthen the team by signing some free agents and provide better depth. This is due to the Cap system and we are lucky the owners are not like some other owners who choose not to spend to the Cap.

The only Question mark in my mind is whether Markstrom can make the jump to #1 or not as I believe Miller kept them in some games last year they maybe shouldn't have.

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

2. Edmonton is young, fast, has forward depth, Draisaitl and McDavid....the Canucks have nothing to match anything on Edmonton.........total different universe

Anyone who watched the Oiler-Canuck games last year would not have come to such a conclusion.  The last time comments like that were made they were about competing against the California teams, and preceded a season wherein we finished behind only Anaheim and made the playoffs with 101 points. 

With the current draft lottery, we're no better off being in dead last than just missing the playoffs as far as getting the top pick is concerned.

Lets not kid ourselves, the NHL will do everything in their power to avoid the Canucks getting anywhere near the top three picks.

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

sometimes i wonder how  bad your hockey sense is  edmonton is not better than blues or preds  your mindblowing my call on this yr

1. ducks

2. preds

3. blues

4. jets 

5. sharks

6.stars

7. hawks

8.canucks 

9. oil

10.wild

11.flames

12 kings 

13 knights 

14. coyotes

15. avs 

good luck 

with your predictions but ya no way u have a clue 

Easy now. This was meant to be fun. 

2 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

Fair enough but even though it's a relatively small sample size, the guy still has a career Sv% of .922 through almost 200 games. Maybe it's just me but I see no reason why he should have a regression or his luck should run out after this many games.

Edmonton fans are hoping you are right and I am wrong.    He is already 30 years old and his SV% was much higher start of his career and I hope Oilers D matures quickly as he isn't of the age where a style change is likely in the offing.   

Archived