The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In place to the Canucks finish in the western Conference? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

isn't that the point of the thread / what the thread asks?

I was talking about the guys who are adamant they know "all" and the rest of us are on glue when it comes to hockey knowledge. It just looks good on them when they are so adamant they are right and they are proved wrong.

9 hours ago, canuktravella said:

funny how my prediction s dead on ehhh. willie made this team trash 

Yeah its like you have a crystal ball or something. Haha! Yeah WD made games very difficult to watch during his tenure. TG's and WD's systems and style of coaching is like night and day.

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I was talking about the guys who are adamant they know "all" and the rest of us are on glue when it comes to hockey knowledge. It just looks good on them when they are so adamant they are right and they are proved wrong.

I don't think any of those quotes indicate someone who believes they know all and that the rest are on glue.  To me, they all just look like predictions - which is what the thread is all about.  Yes, many are wrong.  In fact, most predictions are likely to be wrong. Occasionally, someone gets is right.  But that's all the nature of predicting.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

it doesn't help, I agree.  But,

1) I don't think we are really THAT far away from being contenders.  We have lots of quality prospects.  I expect Pettersson to be a first liner and have high hopes for Dahlen.  Maybe even Goldobin. 

2) A high draft seed doesn't guarantee anything.  We've been stiffed in the lottery forever and we are too good to finish last again so our chances of getting that generational talent is slim no matter what.

3) We kept up last night with a likely cup contender.  No we didn't win but it could have gone either way.  This team as it stands might be overperforming but it shows what we are capable of.  Add in the aforementioned talent coming through the system and while we might not be the strongest team in the league we should at least have a cup contender that we can build on.

I believe while a 1st or 2nd oa pick obviously does help speed up a rebuild (especially if you are able to snag a generational talent) its not the only way to get there. 

I agree, its players such as Dorsett,Gudbranson,Sutter,Horvat etc., and their great character, who do well in the Playoffs when there is tighter checking and hard work pays off. Just look at how the tight checking is affecting McJesus. Haha!

If we are able to get help with the extra Cap space when the Sedins retire and some of the prospects develop into NHLer's, as you stated, I think we will be a team to contend with again very soon.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't think any of those quotes indicate someone who believes they know all and that the rest are on glue.  To me, they all just look like predictions - which is what the thread is all about.  Yes, many are wrong.  In fact, most predictions are likely to be wrong. Occasionally, someone gets is right.  But that's all the nature of predicting.

The ones I was talking about were not the ones I was quoting. They know who they are and I was pointing out the ones who's predictions were a little bolder but more accurate. There are some posters who get dissed by some of these guys which I am not a fan of.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, its players such as Dorsett,Gudbranson,Sutter,Horvat etc., and their great character, who do well in the Playoffs when there is tighter checking and hard work pays off. Just look at how the tight checking is affecting McJesus. Haha!

If we are able to get help with the extra Cap space when the Sedins retire and some of the prospects develop into NHLer's, as you stated, I think we will be a team to contend with again very soon.

It's the kind of team that Benning has tried to build.  A team that tries as hard as they can game in and game out. We talk of a winning culture and the fact that we haven't really had it lately (which is to be expected), but what we DO have is a core of players who have a strong worth ethic.  That's something to build on for sure.

You bring up a good point in the cap space which has been largely ignored by most - including myself.  The Sedins combined eat up 14 freakin million dollars.  Now, I'm not suggesting we are in any position to actually acquire someone like McDavid from an asset perspective, but just imagine what opportunities this can open for us.  Obviously some of that will be eaten up by raises for guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, but we are still in *really* good shape cap-wise. I know it would be a long shot, but what if we managed to snag Tavares if he opts not to re-sign with the Islanders?  Give him 10 million per for 5 years.  Solves our 1st line center issue right there, then when a guy like Pettersson is ready to assume a 1st line role stick him on the wing which I believe he has played before.

How good does this look?

Pettersson Tavares Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Granlund

Dahlen Sutter Virtanen

Gagner Burmistrov Dorsett

Seriously - that is a lineup where Green can confidently roll four lines and there is a threat on every single line.  

Then we have the other spare parts and prospects in Eriksson, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, and Palmu which are amazing for depth but at least one or two of those young guys are going to be top six players themselves. Maybe put them in a 2nd line role if Granlund doesn't get there, or package them up for a #1 PMD. Then if Juolevi works out, that gives us 2 high end blueliners as well.

I know this is a thread about where we expect to be this season, but I'm not really looking at this season.  I'm looking at 2-3 years in the future, and this team is going to be beastly.  BEASTLY, I SAY.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The ones I was talking about were not the ones I was quoting. They know who they are and I was pointing out the ones who's predictions were a little bolder but more accurate. There are some posters who get dissed by some of these guys which I am not a fan of.

I agree there is generally far too much dissing going on here on CDC, but that's the nature of the beast.  Wanna see a-holes?  Check out the proposals threads.  That's where people get absolutely mobbed by know-it-alls. :)

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I agree there is generally far too much dissing going on here on CDC, but that's the nature of the beast.  Wanna see a-holes?  Check out the proposals threads.  That's where people get absolutely mobbed by know-it-alls. :)

Haha! I used to look at those but I became very disinterested pretty quickly because of that very fact. I like the proposal and counter proposal idea but the know-it-alls would trash people left and right which kind of takes the fun out of the whole thing.

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's the kind of team that Benning has tried to build.  A team that tries as hard as they can game in and game out. We talk of a winning culture and the fact that we haven't really had it lately (which is to be expected), but what we DO have is a core of players who have a strong worth ethic.  That's something to build on for sure.

You bring up a good point in the cap space which has been largely ignored by most - including myself.  The Sedins combined eat up 14 freakin million dollars.  Now, I'm not suggesting we are in any position to actually acquire someone like McDavid from an asset perspective, but just imagine what opportunities this can open for us.  Obviously some of that will be eaten up by raises for guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, but we are still in *really* good shape cap-wise. I know it would be a long shot, but what if we managed to snag Tavares if he opts not to re-sign with the Islanders?  Give him 10 million per for 5 years.  Solves our 1st line center issue right there, then when a guy like Pettersson is ready to assume a 1st line role stick him on the wing which I believe he has played before.

How good does this look?

Pettersson Tavares Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Granlund

Dahlen Sutter Virtanen

Gagner Burmistrov Dorsett

Seriously - that is a lineup where Green can confidently roll four lines and there is a threat on every single line.  

Then we have the other spare parts and prospects in Eriksson, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, and Palmu which are amazing for depth but at least one or two of those young guys are going to be top six players themselves. Maybe put them in a 2nd line role if Granlund doesn't get there, or package them up for a #1 PMD. Then if Juolevi works out, that gives us 2 high end blueliners as well.

I know this is a thread about where we expect to be this season, but I'm not really looking at this season.  I'm looking at 2-3 years in the future, and this team is going to be beastly.  BEASTLY, I SAY.

Yeah I think there is going to be some opportunities to snag a good player with so many teams trying to pay to keep their stars and running out of cap space to pay their up-and-comers. We can just sit back and wait for that opportunity to pounce on a situation that presents itself with no pressure to do so as we are in a "rebuild". We are waiting for our young guys to develop anyway so there is no rush. A very good position to be in for sure.

Liked your post kloubek. The Sedins retiring leaves $14 million available, which is a nice chunk for sure. Plus add in Edler's $5 million and that's $19 million! The idea of Tavares playing here would blow my mind. Pettersson-Tavares-Boeser would be unstoppable. Oh the highlight reels.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-09-15 at 9:23 PM, IBatch said:

Talbot played well in New York too, and was considered one of the best in the business as a backup before going to EDM.  I'm with the masses on this one, only way is up, no way has Mcdavid peaked, he's only going to get better, and hes already like Crosby, Lemuiex and Gretzky in that any plug can score when on his line.  

Hall trade looked terrible, turns out adding a good young defenseman was part of the tonic, plus Sekera and Klefbom almost make it look half decent overall.  Puljajarvi should figure things out too, him and Laine were considered neck and neck at the draft, one a better goal scorer, the other a better playmaker and more complete.  God help the rest of the conference and the league if he turns out the better of the two.

Talbot doesn't have the miles that most goalies do his age and shouldn't have any problems playing a ton of games for the next couple years.  Is see both the Oilers and WNP doing some damage this year, THN picked the Oilers losing to PIT in six in the final...a bit much probably, but it wouldnt surprise me either.

I don’t think Talbot is getting the luck he had last season - he played way over his head.  

On 21/11/2017 at 9:37 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I don’t think Talbot is getting the luck he had last season - he played way over his head.  

No doubt.  Edmonton is struggling big time and he's probably the biggest reason so far.   And to think I picked him in one of my hockey pools this year.....ughh.

Impressed with the team's ability to absorb injuries thus far.

Most of us knew the depth is better this year, but already having lost Tanev, Edler, Stecher and now Gudbranson on the blueline - as well as our second best forward (DD! jk, sorta) - it's been impressive the way they've performed most nights, particularly against stiffer opponents.

Two principle things that made this possible imo -

1) Benning added more veteran depth this summer - and has more volume of younger players emerging as well - less intention that this be a transition year.  Both up front and on the blueline, they're about 3 or 4 deep in terms of good serviceable NHL depth.  This volume of injuries would have hurt much deeper with the roster of the past few seasons.

2) Green.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Impressed with the team's ability to absorb injuries thus far.

Most of us knew the depth is better this year, but already having lost Tanev, Edler, Stecher and now Gudbranson on the blueline - as well as our second best forward (DD! jk, sorta) - it's been impressive the way they've performed most nights, particularly against stiffer opponents.

Two principle things that made this possible imo -

1) Benning added more veteran depth this summer - and has more volume of younger players emerging as well - less intention that this be a transition year.  Both up front and on the blueline, they're about 3 or 4 deep in terms of good serviceable NHL depth.  This volume of injuries would have hurt much deeper with the roster of the past few seasons.

2) Green.

And some say we are years away from being a competitive team. ::D

• 2 weeks later...
On October 31, 2017 at 3:06 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Liked your post kloubek. The Sedins retiring leaves $14 million available, which is a nice chunk for sure. Plus add in Edler's $5 million and that's $19 million! The idea of Tavares playing here would blow my mind. Pettersson-Tavares-Boeser would be unstoppable. Oh the highlight reels.

Don't forget Dorsett will be on LTIR and not count against the cap. Which would give us another 2.65. Thats $21,065,000. We are going to be major players in the offseason. 

Im still a believer that this team can be a threat in 2 years, with the right moves. 

A lot of our moves depend on:

1. Our position in the draft ( hopefully top 5 and then we can get Wilde!!)

2. Does Baertschi or Granlund stay with the team, i don't think both are here next year. I vote Granlund. I think Goldy is going to be on the Horvat, Boeser line next year. 

3. Are we resigning Guddy and trading Tanev? Because in the offseason, i don't see room for both. Unless we get Dahlin and he provides offence from the left side.  

4. I don't see a scenario in which both Hutton and Pouliot are here next year. I vote Pouliot. 

I would target: 

If we don't end up with Bode Wilde (please!!!) or Adam Boqvist in the draft. We need John Carlson for 6 Million per over 5 years. He is not great in the D-zone, but he gets the job done. He's great on the PP, great at moving the puck and will definitely give us scoring from the back end. 

Ryan Reaves for 2 million per over 2 years. Tons of grit, good forechecker, can pot the odd goal and he's decent on the pk when in a pinch. 

Re-sign Granlund for 2.5 million per over 4 years. I think he provides the versatility a competitive team needs. Can play Center or the wing, great two way play, good on the pk, a bit of a down year offensively, but we all know he can put up 30 points a season. 

I personally think the Sedins will be here next year, but if they aren't we should be looking for short term solutions until Pettersson is ready. So i say no to Tavares, as much as he is great, he will at least get 10 mill per over 8 years and that will leave us struggling to spread money around when this team gets good. Boeser is gonna need at least 6. If juolevi comes in next year and has a great season, what will he command? Those are question we need to ask. Were not looking for short term success, but long term success.

Archived